“Awesome lodge on Coronado Island.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
florida
“Awesome lodge on Coronado Island.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

This place pampers beyond belief. The breakfasts are delicious, the early evening wine tastings are nice and the staff truly aims to please. The bed was very comfortable. The suite was quite roomy. We loved the bathrobes so much that we bought 2 to take home. Treat yourself and stay at the 1906 Lodge.

Room Tip: We had a corner sutie that had a great view of the courtyard and a cozy balcony.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mahaFlorida
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 21 January 2012
I'm so glad you felt pampered during your stay with us. I suspect the robes were a big factor! I love those robes and have one at home. I've worn it everyday for 5 years!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the 1906 Lodge during our brief stay in Coronado. We greatly enjoyed the experience. The innkeepers were extremly personable, friendly and helpful. From the moment of check-in, the innkeepers provided excellent service. We were impressed with the lodge itself. It is charming and quaint. The room was very clean, and we enjoyed the breakfast that was provided each morning. The underground parking was very convenient. The afternoon wine and cheese was a nice touch. While a small element, we really enjoyed the fact that hot tea and coffee were provided throughout the day and evening. Lastly, the 1906 Lodge featured free and very fast internet (a nice touch for business travellers).

The 1906 Lodge is the exact opposite of the Hotel del Cornoado (i.e. large, impersonable). If you are looking for a charming, quiet, peaceful and quaint location to truly relax, I highly reccomend the 1906 Lodge. WIth that said, if you are young and looking to stay in a vibrant, chic environment, I would recommend the Hotel del Coronado or to stay in downtown San Diego (ten minutes away) in the W Hotel or a similar establishment.

With such positive comments, one must wonder why I have only selected "4" out of "5" stars. Two reasons: (1) While the 1906 Lodge is an excellent location (approximately two blocks from Orange Ave (the main street in Coronado), it does not provide ocean vistas, and (2) while the service was excellent and the room was clean, it did not live up to a "5" star standard - for instance, we ran out of soap, and the staff did not provide replacement (granted, we had our own soap - but still...).

In the end, "4" stars is an excellent review, and in my opinion, there are very few truly "5" star locations. So, needless to stay, I was impressed with the 1906 Lodge.

Room Tip: We stayed in Kate's Garden. While without a tub, I found this room very economicable (i.e. I fe...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your detailed review. I appreciated you including a comparison to other properties and locations. We are truly a quiet and relaxing hideaway. And Coronado gets pretty quiet after 10:00 PM!

Kate's Garden is our least expensive room so I'm glad it was so enjoyable for you. That room is the only one with an old fashioned pedestal sink and one of three with a restored window seat.

I hope you will return so that we can spoil you in one of our spacious suites with spa tubs!
Parker, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

No wonder it is rated #1 !!!! Dont know where to begin - the spacious room; clean as can be, with a whirlpool tub to die for (tip if you want to feel like you are in your own little apt - stay in one of the outer rooms - but truly does'nt matter where you stay!), the breakfast, service, the hot water on at night for tea, the 5 PM happy hour, turn down service? OR the building, decor, the history, the staff, and the LOCATION!!!! Need I go on?
This lodge is a dream come true and there is a reason for it - or rather two: The renovation of this historic building was obviously a labor of love, no expenses were spared, no details overlooked. The innkeepers we met, Denise, Lori, Susan are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. They will educate you, guide you, make you feel welcomed in every way, they are angels! I am now looking for reasons to go back very very soon.
I will end by saying that words cannot describe the perfection of the 1906 lodge - it has a special vibe and energy that emanates from both the building and the staff - truly. You have to experience it. It is perfect for couples and families alike. do yourself a favor and don't miss the experience! There are little surprises everywhere!

Room Tip: We stayed in Ocean BLVD considered a suite - it is one of 11 suits added on during the renovation...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Orlygilbert
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 30 December 2011
I love your comment that we have "a special vibe and energy that emanates from both the building and the staff". Having been a corporate "road warrior" in a previous life, I wanted to create something totally different from the standard hotel experience. It sounds like we met your expectations for just such a getaway.

Special thanks for your praise of my staff. They take great pride in making every guest feel welcome.

We look forward to spoiling you again soon!
California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2011

I had stayed at the lodge another time maybe 2 years ago (around when it first opened), but I had the chance to stay their again in a different suite. I was again not disappointed!

This time I stayed in the North Island suite, and it was so serene! The beautiful spa tub, the giant comfy bed, the fireplace.... just wonderful!

I couldn't have had a better time, and I will continue to refer friends and family to stay here. You will not be disappointed!!

Room Tip: The suites are incredible, I would recommend trying one with a spa tub or rain shower!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank travelbug919
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 28 December 2011
Thanks for your repeat business, and referrals to friends!

I'm not surprised that you enjoyed the North Island Suite. My husband and I used to sit on its balcony before construction was finished, and enjoy the breeze with a glass of wine. We had visions of the completed hotel in our heads, and are always thrilled when our guests have a "wonderful stay".

Don't wait two years to visit us again!
Syracuse, KS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2011

My husband and I recently stayed here for three nights. We had considered the Del , but didn't want to spend $400 a night. We stayed in Hubbard and Gill room in the main lodge. My husband, who is very detail-oriented, remarked several times that he couldn't think of anything he'd change in the room to make it more comfortable. The bed was fabulous and the inn was quiet at night. I loved their soaking tub and the decor.
A huge perk wascoffee outside of our door in the morning and enjoyed the wine and cheese in the afternoon. Also, the breakfast is two-courses and delicious. It was like brunch, really.

The lodge is a great location to walk everywhere on the island and the innkeeper was helpful with many suggestions for dining, etc. Thank you, trip advisor, for this recommendation.

p.s. A highlight of this trip was a musical at the Coronado Player's theater. It was so entertaining!

Room Tip: We opted for the less expensive room in the lodge. It was still like a suite!
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jeanSyracuse_KS
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay in our historic lodge Hebbard and Gill room. It is named for the original architects of the building, famous across San Diego for their turn of the century designs.

I got a chuckle out of our "huge perk" being coffee right outside your door. Good one!
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2011

Excellent location in Coronado near the beach and great restaurants. Superb service and quality. Attention to every detail.

This is absolutely hands down the best place to stay in Coronado and the greater San Diego area for that matter! The staff was AWESOME and beyond helpful.

Room Tip: They are all spectacular, but ask the attendant which room would fit you best. They are amazing and...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lesley30040
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 28 November 2011
Thank you for your kind review. With 17 different rooms, our guests have lots of choices in size, amenities, and decor. My innkeepers are happy to help you select the one that is just right for you and your occasion. You can also view photos of each room on our website.
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2011

I live in San Diego but wanted a getaway weekend that was close to home. The reviews and photos drew my attention, and when I phoned the Lodge for more information on a particular room, Sue was very helpful and offered me a great deal with flowers, champagne, chocolates, etc. The room ("The Plunge") exceeded my expectations, and even my hard-to-please husband was impressed at the size and layout. Attention was paid to details in the guest rooms, breakfast room, landscaping and even the parking garage, a luxury in sea-level Coronado. The whirlpool tub and the huge shower were wonderful, after a hard day of walking on the beach. I've stayed at other hotels in Coronado, and this is by far the best.

Room Tip: "The Plunge" is on the ground floor and very quiet, except when the guests in the upstairs...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NStassino
I'm glad to hear that your "hard to please husband" enjoyed your room. My husband picked out the spa tubs so you have him to thank as well! He is extremely picky when it comes to spa tubs. We even had the sales rep bring a tub to our home, put it in the driveway, and my husband sat in it to ensure it passed his test for size and comfort!

I apologize for any inconvenience caused by your upstairs guests. If that should happen the next time you stay with us, please call the innkeeper and she will take care of it for you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
0.4 km away
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,816 reviews
Coronado Beach Resort
Coronado Beach Resort
#3 of 16 in Coronado

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!