New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn

1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Coronado
Carlsbad, CA
“Relaxing, quiet, close to everything.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

Beautiful B&B property within walking distance of numerous restaurants and the beach. Romantic accomodations with double-sided fireplace, big jetted tub, and balcony. Free underground parking, nice breakfast with courtyard seating. Coronado is the perfect place for liesurely biking around the parks, tree-lined residential streets, San Diego Bay, and along the beach.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bpaulcoop
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
We're pleased you enjoyed Coronado, especially from a bicycle. Our land is quite flat which makes it easy to enjoy the island from a bike. For a rigorous workout, you can bike down the Silver Strand and back. It's a nice 15 mile course, with wind on the way back to the Lodge.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

After searching the web for the perfect getaway for some serious R&R, I found this B&B. After reading the reviews, I had high expectations. And I expected my expectations would be too high to be met. Not so...they were surpassed in every way. Within five seconds of walking into the building, I was awestruck by beauty. The pictures online do not do this place justice! It's just so fricking cute, super homey, and immaculate! The service was astounding! Not just good, not just exceptional...ASTOUNDING! The Innkeepers were awesome. I am gluten intolerant, and in a wheat-filled world, I am used to going without. Denese, one of the sweet innkeepers, made me gluten free carrot cake pancakes. I almost cried with delight! They were delicious! CELIAC-FRIENDLY!!

Now that that has been noted, let's get on to the serious business of noting my amazing stay. We were provided with beach towels and beach chairs, both in nice shape. The room (we stayed in Country Club) really lived up to its name: sumptuous, luxurious, and green! The bath tub is to die for. Also, I have a serious soft spot for soft things, and the room was full of them: soft towels, soft bathrobes, soft sheets, soft blankets. I hate when you go to a hotel and the white towels smell like bleached sandpaper. I also hate when the iron and hair drier are chained to the wall so guests don't walk off with them. I feel a lack of trust in such places. The 1906 lodge skips the commercial hotel feel completely by supplying nice quality items for guests' use, nice extras like books, DVDs, fridges, wine bucket complete with wine opener, mugs, a coffee maker, and all the soft things...I felt more at home at this B&B than my own home.

My vacation was to celebrate surviving a busy work tax season and a semester in graduate school. I was not sure if I wanted to take it easy and be lazy or live it up. Well, I did both, and this B&B is ideal for both. There are many beautiful places to sit, reflect, and take it easy at the B&B; there are also many places very near the B&B to have fun and play. There are some really good restaurants nearby. The Del Hotel and the beach are both easy walks. There are surf shops where you can rent boogie boards, surf boards, bikes, wet suits, and similar stuff. Coronado has a beautiful beach. It's not too crowded (at least not in April, and the water is cold!). So if you are looking for a place to stay that can support both a quiet away-from-home-in-serenity as well as a play-hard type of vacation, the 1906 Lodge is an ideal place for both.

I really liked the service. When my friend was sun burnt so bad she threatened not to leave the room all day, the innkeeper helped me get a hold of aloe vera, and my reticent friend emerged after that handy stuff worked its magic. Also, my gluten-sensitive gut was well catered to. The way to my heart is through my stomach, and the 1906 Lodge met the needs of both! Also, the room was cleaned nicely every day. There was turn down service (which I had never experienced before...apparently, they get your bed sleep-ready so you don't have to, complete with chocolates left by the pillows). Check in was a breeze. The staff was very friendly. The more I reflect on the service, the more I appreciate it. The innkeepers, especially Denese, were SO gracious.

And yes, I am planning my return....

Room Tip: If you are gluten-intolerant, stay here!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank taizatravels
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Wow, what a wonderful review! I'm so glad we were able to meet your expectations. My innkeepers truly enjoy hosting guests and I think it shows.

Regarding our gluten free offerings, we have found that more and more guests make this request so we want to ensure you enjoy your complimentary breakfast! We try to accommodate everyone's dietary restrictions and are always looking for ways to do this.

We hope to see you again soon!
Boulder, CO
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

Just spent two nights here on business. Certainly not a business hotel though. More of a bed and breakfast feel. There was some leisure built into this trip though so I was mentally prepared for some chill time, and the hotel accommodated nicely.

Only interacted with a few staff members but they were all great. Relaxing front porch, lobby, courtyard and dining area. Tried to bring my wife on this trip but she couldn't make it. She would've loved this hotel too. Delicious breakfasts. Coffee ready and waiting in the morning.

Rooms are clean and cared for. Tv setup is a little funky, but I figured it out.

Stayed April 2012
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
We love to surprise business travelers with our relaxing atmosphere. Come back and bring your wife!
Strathmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I just spent six nights in this exquisite B & B and we loved every minute! Coronado and the 1906 Lodge make a beautiful combination! The Isabella room was delightful! The breakfast and evening wine and cheese were scrumptious. Every detail was taken care of. A sure hit!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
6 nights with us, that's fantastic! I don't know about you, but I don't really start relaxing on a vacation until the 3rd or 4th day. I hope you returned home totally rested.
Temecula, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

My wife and I moved here from Massachusetts a year ago. We used to have our weekend "escapes" a couple times a year to a tiny picturesque town called York, which is on the Maine coast. Moving to California, we would no longer have this special place, so we have been on a search to find our new "escape" location. Coronado, with all its beauty and charm, seemed like a logical place to look. Searching the internet we found the 1906 Lodge and decided to spend our anniversary there. We can truly say "We have found our place!". The Lodge is just beautiful, as are its staff. The breakfasts rival those of any fine restaurant. The attention to detail in the accommodations was impeccable. We will be back to this wonderful lodge many more times to come, our search is over!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Hebbart and Gill room, which is a cozy corner room overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bob K
sgilling, Owner at 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Happy Anniversary! And welcome to Coronado. I lived in New England for many years but have found "my place" in Coronado. It is my pleasure to share it with guests. Thank you for the kind words and we hope to see you back here soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We spent three nights in the "Author's Study" and couldn't have been happier with our decision to stay at the 1906 Lodge. We just got home and I'm already looking at their other rooms online fantasizing about which one to stay in next! Other than weak wifi service in our room (easily remedied by just taking our iPads down to the common areas, we can't think of one negative thing to say about our experience. The lodge is perfectly located, just a quick walk into town and to the beach, very close to the famed Hotel Del Coronado. The free on-site parking was a great bonus, but, due to the fabulous location, we didn't even need to access our car during our stay. The complimentary hot breakfast and wine and cheese in the afternoon were the best perks, both delicious and money-saving. I'm an extremely picky eater (and vegetarian) and devoured the hot breakfast option each morning, as did my husband. The room was very clean with a super comfy bed, and we loved the rain shower head in the bathroom.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm glad you enjoyed our complimentary amenities. One of the first things I decided when designing the Lodge was that breakfast would be included with the rate. A pet peeve of mine is spending a fortune for a so-so breakfast at a regular hotel. That's not how I want to start my day of relaxation! My innkeepers love cooking and serving their special treats for our guests. There's a different hot entree special each day, so come back and try them all!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

Centrally located, within walking distance to the beach and the Coronado Hotel. Lots of restaurants and shops close by. My room was on the upper floor (accessible by stairs and elevator) in a corner of the building. Nice size, modern, nice bathroom, very clean. Bed was a little soft, since I have back issues, that was the only concern I had. The breakfast was great, includes a small buffet with a freshly prepared dish which varies from day to day. The lodge also has beach chairs and a tote with beach towels available for guests' usage. Great idea! There is a nightly "happy hour" in the lobby with wine, lemonade, cheese, fruit, crackers etc. Love the building. There is FREE parking in the underground parking in their garage. I wish I could have stayed longer. I simply love Coronado but am not a fan of the huge, overcrowded hotel scene that's why this property is so nice. Quiet, friendly service, overall an excellent experience. Will definitely stay there the next time I'm in town. Of four separate hotels I've frequented on previous trips to the area, this is by far the best.

Room Tip: Corner suite was nice and sunny. Ask about mattress.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
I'm so glad you discovered our quiet hideaway. I'm sorry the bed was a little soft for your taste. I admit that we lean towards a "comfy" feel with a pillow top plus a thick mattress pad.

Hope you'll come back and stay longer!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
0.4 km away
Hotel del Coronado
Hotel del Coronado
#8 of 17 in Coronado
4.0 of 5 bubbles 4,505 reviews

Been to 1906 Lodge, A Four Sisters Inn? Share your experiences!