“Nice Hotel but far from everything”

Loews Coronado Bay Resort
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Coronado
GreenLeadersSilver level
Lakewood, California
“Nice Hotel but far from everything”
Reviewed 5 April 2012

The hotel grounds are very nice and family friendly. They have a pool, ping pong table, giant chess board and a giant connect four game outside. Inside had a run down arcade. We went in spring and the child care area was closed. But I heard it's nice. The hotel provided a free golfcart ride down to the beach. The beach had lots of shells so my son enjoyed finding them. The only bad thing is it's in the middle near the naval training base. So everything has to be past the base for security reasons.
You have to drive at least 3 miles to the right or to the left of the hotel to eat or shop. Nothing is in walking distance. That was a bummer.
If you stay here bring food, drinks, cooler, bikes, beach towels, kite and beach toys.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Nattravels

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (928)
Merced, CA
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I have never been so disappointed in a hotel before. For a high end property, they nickel and dime you for everything. I don't even know where to start...first you have to pay for parking, and then you aren't guaranteed a spot anywhere near your room. Second, I went to the spa where the masseuse asked me to take off my necklace. When I realized I left it behind, I went back to retrieve it and was told, "no one turned it in." The guy at the desk seemed to not care. It was in a massage room, where there is very limited access, where could it have gone? Now they charged me for a more expensive rate than I received online. Third, no free wireless, except in their lobby. I can pay $4 for a cup of coffee and get free wireless. Very dissatisfied.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank hobbstravel
Spring Grove, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2012

We spent 7 days here, and had a very good experience overall. The staff is friendly, attentive, and excellent overall. Even my kids commented, "everyone is awesome here." The pools are very good, heated to 80 degrees all the time, so we were able to swim even with the weather in the mid 60s. The only complaint was the noise level. We were on the first floor of building 1, and it was noisy 20+ hours a day. The walls are very thin, so you hear everything going on around you. I would stay here again, but I would request a third floor room to limit the things going on around me. As a side note, it is a gorgeous piece of property.

Room Tip: Get a 3rd floor room, I assume they will be quieter with less traffic around them.
1 Thank bpi_79
DC
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We spent 4 nights at this resort which was selected based on a special rate package. The location on Coronado is great with numerous beaches nearby. We stayed in Bldg 3 and upon check-in, the front desk stated "you've been upgraded to a partial bay view." This caused me to chuckle as I envisioned this while I wondered what I would have been given... "no view?" The room had an "angled" view of part of the bay. The room was spaciouis and the bathroom updated with great amenities. The king-size bed was a bid disappointing as it resembled and felt like sleeping in a bowl. We really enjoyed the Keurig coffee maker and enjoyed great coffee every day. The resort has 3 large pools to include an adult only pool and serviced by staff from the Cantina (food and drinks were overpriced for the quality). The resort staff were superb, friendly, and helpful at all times. The concierge helped us find great restaurants. If you go, I do recommend a stop by Vons to purchase drinks and snacks during your stay. In Coronado, you'll find some great restaurants at better prices. For those who smoke (including cigars), there is are areas available including poolside. If you wish to stay in Coronado, I do recommend this; I'd just be cautious on the costs and attempt to find some specials as we did.

Room Tip: Get clarity on what kind of room you're assigned. We got an "upgrade" which meant we h...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 29 March 2012

This hotel is very nice. We stayed in Bldg 3 which is in the very middle of all bldgs. We had a room overlooking the pool which was great. the room itself was alittle dated and at times smelled musty but nothing we could not live with. The staff is the best part of the hotel. They are always so nice and helpful. The conceirge Gordy was the best. He got us connected with everthing we needed and more. Call him ahead and he will take care of you. You can access the beach across the street via a tunnel that goes under the road---the staff will take and pick you up in a golf cart---sweet. Windsurfers were there to watch when we went. Von's grocery has the best deal on wine, etc. It is on Orange Ave. Island Pasta is good to eat as the pizza place right next door to it, for kids. Overall stay was great. Side note--the pool bar seemed to close a bit too early--a couple of time before 8pm--drag.

Room Tip: Facing the pool or the corner suites which face the bay.
2 Thank Buddy75229
Langley City, Canada
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed at this resort during our spring break for 7 days. This high-end resort has everything you need from a vacation in Coronado Island, although EVERYTHING is subject to extra charge including the Internet (PER DEVICE), gym, and tennis courts. However, the room rate itself including the parking fee was a great deal. It is located about 8 miles away from Orange Avenue, but as we were planning on renting a car, it was a "no-brainer" pick for our vacation. There are 3 great heated swimming pools and the resort's buildings layout provides you with excellent protection from the cold wind. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: If you are after the sun, pick a room facing the pools.
1 Thank MZ604
SAN DIEGO, CA
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed there over Memorial Weekend in 2011 - it left such an awesome impression on me and my chihuahua that anytime I'm traveling I search for a Loews hotelsfirst and then Omni. Both except pets. You were also able to keep the water and food bowl if you so desired. Definitely two thumbs up from me and two paws up from my chihuahua.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coronado
7.0 km away
7.6 km away
Coronado Island Marriott Resort & Spa
20.8 km away
Catamaran Resort Hotel and Spa

Been to Loews Coronado Bay Resort? Share your experiences!