“Fun 50s Throwback”

Price range: US$1 - US$20
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Going into Clayton's is like heading back in time (or onto the set of Happy Days!). It is a fun 50s-type coffee shop with a large center counter surrounded by booths. They have mini jukeboxes on every table and the waitresses wear cute old-fashioned aprons.

The menu at Clayton's is a traditional diner-type with an expanded coffee menu (espressos, mochas, chai, etc). We went for lunch (happened to be Ash Wednesday), so I ordered grilled cheese-the BEST! It was made with thick slices of Challah bread-just yummy! My hubby got the tuna sandwich-also very good!

We stopped in later that night for coffees with our nephew (A marine stationed at Camp Pendelton). While we were sitting at the counter, our waitress asked if anyone in our party was in the military (obvious from our nephew's haircut!) She thanked him for his service to our country! I know San Diego/Coronado is a military area, but it was such a nice touch-made us all smile.

1  Thank katpag1

Reviewed 20 February 2012

This is a typical coffee shop. Good place for a greasy breakfast and lunch. I don't recommend for dinner. Very busy on weekend mornings. Sit at the counter if you want to chat.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Had breakfast in the morning Dinner in the evening and Breakfast the next morning.
Great Food Great Prices and Great service

Whats not to like?

1  Thank Jayboy44
Reviewed 16 February 2012

My husband and I went to Coronado for Valentine's and decided to try out Clayton's for breakfast. We were not disappointed! We had to wait for about 5 minutes to sit but wasn't a big deal- the place was packed! My husband has hash and eggs which he said was the best he'd ever had and I had pancakes and sides! We both thought the food was so good and really liked the atmosphere! The waitresses were very friendly also! Later in the afternoon we went back to the take out window and got milkshakes- yum!! We will definitely go back!

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stopped in on a weekday morning for some breakfast. I had a late night before so I was looking for some greasy goodness. The restaurant is a restored diner with eclectic things on the wall. Service was fast and pleasant. The food was very good, if not excellent. If I lived in the area, I would be a regular here.