“The Perfect Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Water Grill

Water Grill
Ranked #14 of 570 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Reviewed February 7, 2018

My wedding rehearsal dinner was held at the restaurant when it was "Scotts Restaurant and Bar". For our 24th wedding anniversary we decided to try the now "Water Grill". What an amazing experience. Service:
I can't remember the last time I had such great service. It was not overbearing, not hovering or constant to the point of annoying. Our server Peter possessed the right combination of knowledge, friendliness and genuineness that you want. You could tell throughout the evening that all he wanted to do is make sure we had a special evening. Whether is was the surprise of two flutes of champagne to wish us "Happy Anniversary" or the complimentary 3 cookie desert it was memorable. The manager, Mr. Evini, checked on us a few times doing the evening and I learned that he meets with his staff/service team every day to discuss the menu and any special guests or occasions to ensure that every one is recognized.
Food:
The roasted beet salad with wild arugula was complimented by a wonderful tandoori spiced yogurt. I do not eat read meat so I have decades of experience ordering seafood and receiving everything from still raw in the middle, requiring it to be sent back while my guests eat without me, to having dried out leather. The fish my wife (Maui) and I (Swordfish) had was the best prepared fish I have ever tasted. A delicate maple sugar colored sear on the outside revealed a moist, flaky, and evenly cooked mouth watering piece of fish. Unlike some places that give you a small sliver of fish surrounded by a bunch of afterthought vegetables this was a healthy portion laid on top of a well thought out and independently tasteful creation of vegetables, tapenade, etc.. When the side dish of asparagus came my first reaction was "Oh no, the spears are thick and are going to be tough and chewy." I was wrong! They had a light grill sear with a wonderful light pesto oil like drizzle. They melted in my mouth. We were driving so we went with a carafe of wine instead of a full bottle. Being an oenophile I always check out the wine list and the prices. While I am used to paying more for wine at a restaurant than if I were to purchase it myself I felt the prices were reasonable. They also have free corkage which I will remember next time. The three cookie dessert was a wonderfully sized freshly baked cookie consisting of three separate types of cookies topped off with a fresh scoop of ice cream.
Overall:
A beautiful decor. One indoor and one outdoor bar give you options to just have a drink and appetizers or just a drink while waiting to be seated. You will not find a larger and fresher selection of fish and shell fish. The outdoor bar and eating area has sufficient coverage and heaters that in the winter or during cold nights you can't even tell it is outdoors. We will not be waiting another 24 years before we go back.

Date of visit: February 2018

Reviewed February 4, 2018 via mobile

My husband and I are here during the last night of a business trip. The restaurant's ambiance is chic. We ordered the Oysters Rockefeller for an appetizer. I order the Wild Alaskan King Crab Legs and my husband ate the Wild Ross Sea Chilean Sea Bass. For dessert, we ate the Caramel Bread Pudding. Everything was really delicious. Price wise, this is a special occasion restaurant unless you've got it like that. I would return.

Reviewed January 25, 2018 via mobile

Beautiful restaurant with a wonderful selection of fresh seafood! Sea Bass, Swordfish and Scallops were the best we've eaten. Will definitely be back!! We love how open & spacious it is!

Reviewed January 25, 2018

I was there to do a corporate event, and I cant say enough great things about the staff. They were great, the food was great, and our event was very successful.
I spent some time out in the restaurant too, and the staff were really friendly, however we tried to have some meetings that were difficult because the background music was too loud.
There are some issues that the management should look into.
1st the music selection and volume in the restaurant. The station it was on most of the day was teeny-poppy girl station. Something my 16 year old daughter would listen to, but the rest of the family can't stand. It was basically kids-bop, and it way too loud! Seriously, people go to a restaurant to eat together and have conversation, not to listen to your horrible background music. When the volume level gets in the way of that, we have a problem.
The temperature control (or lack of it). We asked for our super hot room to have the temperature turned down, but it never happened. There are no controls in the room, only a white box that is monitored from somewhere else. For what we paid for the event there, our people shouldn't have been miserable because of the AC.

Reviewed January 22, 2018

The scallops I had were cooked properly. The grilled vegetable under the scallops was bitter and not to my taste. The miso soup was ok, but nothing special. The food was, on the whole, very good but expensive.