“Local place that serves quality food at a fair price”
Review of La Cave Restaurant

La Cave Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
La Cave Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 564 Restaurants in Costa Mesa
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: East 17th St.
Reviewed May 22, 2017

This is definitely an old-school steak house--a number of clubby booths, the typical steak-house cart (that is the menu) they bring to the table that shows you your entrée choices, a nice bar, enjoyable cheese-bread and good service--all reasonably priced. The entrees are not fancy, but they are prepared well. My wife went with the petite filet (perfectly done medium rare) and lobster combo and I had an extremely moist and tasty blackened swordfish. All entrees come with either a soup or salad (the salad is the one place they could be a bit more creative), and one can choose a number of sides with their entrée---we both went with the twice baked potatoes (which we enjoyed) and our broccoli was lightly steamed. My cheesecake came with sides of caramel sauce and whipped cream. If you enjoy eating and then staying for live entertainment, it starts at 10:30 PM on a Saturday night.

Reviewed May 1, 2017

The unassuming office building will fool you - take the elevator down to La Cave! It is a terrific old school steakhouse. Clubby red leather interior, live music in the other room, generous cocktails and a terrific ambience! Loved this place with a couple of out of town friends, never heard of it before now but it has been around since 1962, and their experience makes your dining an event.

Gracious and knowledgable staff, service was excellent. Waters refilled, bread (parmesan garlic toast) refilled, food orders timely.

No menus, short list of entrees, not for the vegetarian!The "menu" is a cart with different cuts of gorgeous beef and seafood. I had the house salad with big chunks of bleu cheese and a beautiful rib-eye with half lobster tail, we passed on dessert. Total for 3 includes $25 corkage for my own bottle of wine, $245.

Really unique place, great for visitors and locals - one friend said if she lived here La Cave would be her regular hangout!

Reviewed April 10, 2017

Downstairs and dark. Good service and food.
Booths could be a big larger. Tight quarters for four diners.

Reviewed April 9, 2017

I was told this was a John Wayne hangout many years ago. I definitely could see the Duke sitting in this dark cave like atmosphere having drinks and steak. Very unique place in the basement. 5 of us ate in quiet private corner booth. Our server was fantastic answering all our question and gave us wonderful suggestions. Mushrooms and cocktail shrimp are a must. There are no menus. The server presents a tray of entrees, steaks(ribeye, ny strip, porterhouse) and seafood (lobster, halibut, swordfish). Salads were good but clam chowder was amazing. Twice baked potatoes were favorite at our table. I can't comment on desserts no room for any. Pricey but well worth it in our option. If looking for bargain steaks seafood go elsewhere. Chef cooks all entrees out on open area just right of entrance. Felt cozy and intimate to us.

Reviewed February 18, 2017

I thought that this would be an interesting and unique dining experience, since you have to take an elevator down to the "cave". In fact, it was an interesting and unique experience, but for all the wrong reasons.
Far from being an intimate and romantic environment, it was incredibly loud. Guest’s loud conversations echo off the basement walls, creating a cacophony of noise. Not just background noise like many popular restaurants have - it was really loud.
As another recent reviewer has said, there is no dinner menu. Instead, the waitress comes around with a cart of raw meat to look at. No prices unless you ask. There is only steak, lobster, and fish - nothing else; a very limited offering. We chose an appetizer of shrimp cocktail, which was pretty good. $19 for 4 large prawns, which is not exactly what I would consider reasonable.
Then our halibut came out. It was cold, so we asked the waitress to have it sent back. It returned 5 minutes later, marginally warmer but not hot. The reason was that it was not fully cooked through. I prefer my fish cooked. It’s really not that hard to do. Halibut was the cheapest entrée on the non-existent menu at $30, which is a lot for bad food.
The waitress was not particularly helpful or personable, and was clearly displeased when we told her the fish was not cooked completely. We both left much of it on our plates.
We left Le Cave highly disappointed. I will never go back.