“Rental Car Windshield Smashed and People Fighting”

Super 8 Costa Mesa/Newport Beach Area
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Costa Mesa
Troy, Michigan
“Rental Car Windshield Smashed and People Fighting”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

First time in a Super 8, sadly I was disappointed. There is a bar next door and on weekend nights there are tons of rowdy drunk people. First day there it was fine, 2nd day I woke up I found my rental car windshield smashed with a brick, it was parked in Super 8's parking lot. The brick was laying next to the car and there were brick powder on the windshield. I went to the staff they said there is nothing they can do and tell me to call the police. I called the police and filed a police report, he asked me if I had any road rage incident or had any bad blood between somebody I know, I said no, no road rage incident and I am from Michigan I don't even know anybody in California. He looked at the security recordings later and figured out it was people from the bar the night before so he went there to question them. Then 2 days afterwards there were two people arguing and fighting upstairs around 5 rooms down from my, and one punched and kicked him out of the door and called him a poor Axx N word. Then the guy spent around the next 1/2 hours strolling around upstairs to call people and said he got kicked out and he needed a place to stay. Needless to say I wonder what was going on in the room, maybe some narcotics involved? Also for some reason the room has a muggy weird smell, it doesn't bother me too much but I wish it does not have a smell to it. Then for two days I got sheets with cigarette holes on it, these sheets should be thrown away already. I don't even know why this motel is rated 8 stars on priceline and 4 stars in trip advisor, it never seize to amaze me. I guess a few people agree with me though, this motel must have gone way downhill.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank James P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 weeks on and off while working in the area. I love this hotel. I have stayed in hotels continously for 3 months straight and this is by far my favorite. The pool is clean and heated, huge plus. The jacuzzi is the hottest I have felt at a motel and they also have a sauna. The rooms are typical for a super 8. Clean, good maid service, and lots of channels to choose from. They have a nightly happy hour of box wine and snacks, which is totally above and beyond. Not only would I stay here again on a work related trip, I would also come back for a pleasure stay. Lots of places to eat in the area and newport beach is real close!

• Stayed April 2012
3 Thank GypsyKatie
Costa Mesa, California
Reviewed 16 March 2012

OK, I strayed and tried the recently remodeled Motel 6 on Newport Blvd. Wow, what a waste of money!. $10 more; hard beds, razor-thin pillows; no breakfast and a less than desirable clientele! I returned to the Super 8 the next night and once again I reiterate all of my previous extremely positive comments. I couldn't believe the one negative review on Trip Advisor. What a snob! If you want plush, go to the Marriott and pay your $200 a night! As for me, I choose the excellent staff,facilities, clean rooms, free breakfast and evening snacks, free movies and dvd's, excellent pool, spa and sauna for a VERY reasonable AAA or AARP price. My only suggestion continues to be to replace the uncomfortable murphy beds with standard beds. One other nice experience has been meeting the international clientele who stay here "on holiday." It's so nice to meet them and simply talk about their life, country, experiences, etc. SUPER 8 remains SUPER.

Room Tip: Choose a bottom floor room if you have a lot of luggage. Also, ask if your room has a murphy bed. If...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank curiaregis
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I concur with the review from mikiecycle (two-stars: "Dubious quality...". It used to be a good bargain but my most recent stay was very sub-par. I also was put in a non-smoking room next to other non-smoking rooms with cigarette butts all around & ashtrays on the air-conditioning units. I don't know what kind of idiot asks for a non-smoking room just to smoke out front; or why the management allows this as they obvious knew about it (i.e. one day there was no ashtray and cig butts all around; the next day obviously a maid had left an ashtray for them). I complained to the management and they just said "it's their right to smoke outside if they want - we can't tell them not to as long as it's not in the room." Needless to say, smoke would seep into my room through the air conditioning vent. It wasn't horrible but enough for me to note that the hotel is becoming a dump, and I've used it on my yearly trip to Orange County for the past few years (but never again).

The rooms were clean if a bit plain, and a bit dark (the lighting is poor, and who wants to put open the curtains and have the chain-smokers on the landing gawk at you)? The bar seems to be more boisterous and noisy. In a nutshell - this place has seen better days, and the present & future seem grim.....

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank Carl C
Augesta Georiga
Reviewed 20 January 2012

We recently stayed at Super 8 We normaally stay at the holiday Inn or Marriott but we read the reviews prior to arriving and decided to give it a try we were not dissappointed My mother and I ESPECIALLYliked the complementary breakfast and wine and snacks served in the evening The rooms and the bathrooms were very clean and the beds were comfortable We had my son's birthday party next door at Patrick's Pub and all had blast the only problem we had was with the keys the magnectic strip wasn't working so we had to get a total of 4 keys but Edgar was very helpful All in All we had a wonderful stay Thank you to all your staff I will stay there agian

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms are more convienent especially for loading and unloading luggage
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Beth803
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 January 2012

during the process of my apartment getting ready for my wife, our little boy, and myself to move in, we needed a place to stay. we found that this motel had good reviews so indeed stayed until our apartment was ready to move in. Edgar the manager was king enough to provide us with a weekly rate which really helped us out since we had a budget to follow. I can't express much more than all the good reviews this hotel has already gotten,the entire staff was very helpful, Robert and Pablo were great! theirs a nice welcoming feeling this place gives you, we felt treated more as family than just guests. its very hard to see how this place would get negitive reviews or low scores,its the best motel i've stayed in by far! There's is a bar on site but didn't seem to bother us a bit, for the 2 weeks we stayed we never saw any sort of violence our loud noise or anything of that nature. My wife is very insucure and protected since we do have a 5 year old but we found the place to be very safe and clean. Edgar the manager should be given a five star for keeping the place the way it is, very friendly! very helpful with needs such as direction and recommendations. my soon Mathew would even ask if we were having breakfast at edgar's, meaning if we having breakfast in the lobby.. since it did seem as if he worked there 24/7. the waffles and different viarity of cerials for breakfast made is great, I'm not a big fan of carbs but the fruit made up for it. my little boy loved their danishes. Its the first place where i seen complimentary wine, nice. Also a good selection of free movies was great for us, kept us intertained, thats for sure. i can't express my self more. If there's ever a problem with our apartment i will definitely be coming back! for the price and amenities given i would choose this over any high end hotel(my personal view) thank you guys so much! from Mario & Jenni and Mathew.

Room Tip: we were bumped into a 2 queen beds with a jetted tub which was nice! all rooms are nice, if this was...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Mario E
Silicon Valley
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I chose Super 8 Costa Mesa on the basis of TripAdvisor reviews, and am still scratching my head about the discrepancy between the generally positive reviews and what my wife and I found there.

The motel is on very busy Harbor Blvd.; getting to places north of it (for example, I-405 and I-5) requires cutting across three lanes of heavy traffic to make a U-turn. There is a bar (Patrick’s Pub) on the north part of the property that shares the parking lot in front of the lobby. But most motel parking is in an interior area between two buildings (see Google maps), which seems pretty safe. We were told by a clerk that the north side of the facility (shared with the pub, which has an outdoor patio) is noisier than the south side, so we stayed on the south side. But we discovered there was off-premise nightlife on that side that cannot be seen from the motel (a night clerk told us this), but can certainly be heard. We found it objectionable.

This is an older facility: According to HotelGuides, the motel was built in 1960 and remodeled in 2005. For example, the exterior corridor to our second floor room was uneven and poorly patched in some places. There is no elevator. We are non-smokers, and though a clerk told us that rooms are non-smoking, she said that smoking can be done in the exterior corridors outside of the rooms. We saw ashtrays on some cooling/heating units protruding from rooms into the corridors, and observed a group of guys smoking close to our room. Our room was clean but pretty basic. Bed sheets were low cotton count, and some stains had not been completely laundered away. The motel did not seem to be very full when we stayed. While there were newer cars in the parking lot, there were also several older cars and trucks.

Overall, we found the quality of the facility, surroundings, and service to be subpar. Upon returning home, I could not find this motel listed in the 2011 AAA TourBook. I will be much more careful in selecting Costa Mesa and Newport Beach lodging in the future.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family