“Edgy and Different”

Destroyer
Ranked #45 of 358 Restaurants in Culver City
Price range: US$5 - US$20
Reviewed October 10, 2017

Came here on a visit to see some friends for lunch. The menu is a fusion of many foods, short, but tasty - I had the rice porridge, which was a lot heavier than I expected. Make sure you try something savory, and something sweet to match.

Reviewed September 29, 2017

You can't really reinvent breakfast, but this meal had me longing to come back soon. Everything was so refreshingly good. Highly recommend the potatoes, raw oatmeal, and avocado toast. The coffee was really excellent too but the best part of the meal was the ceramics. A+++++

Reviewed September 15, 2017

A friend recommended this place so we paid a visit, we got really lucky cos it wasn't a packed day. Everything looked super interesting on the menu, but there were only the two of us, so we could only order so much.

Reviewed July 31, 2017

Ambiance: Cute casual. Love the menu display on the wall.
Cashier/Waiter2: Initially quite rude as I asked for green tea. I was so focused on the food menu I did not notice the tea menu and that green tea was not an option. This was no problem but the cashier was a bit odd. He later delivered my hen egg meal. He placed it down on the opposite side of the table and when I reached for it, yikes! It was scalding hot. I burned my finger and went inside to ask for some ice. I explained what happened with no acknowledgment from him. He gave me the ice and so then I went outside and tried to move it toward me with a piece of napkin but it was extremely hot so I went inside to request a towel and then he came outside and moved it. The whole thing was bizarre and quite frankly turned me off. The first waiter who brought out my tea seemed pleasant enough and I saw her attentively and pleasantly dealing with her customers. This is why I didnt score it lower as perhaps it is just a one off. In general, perhaps a more friendlier staff. When I went in the second time, the barista said that he would make me iced tea and I said no the ice was because I burnt my finger as I told your colleague. Even still no one really acknowledged what happened. That being said I thoroughly enjoyed the tea and the breakfast. I had been extremely excited to try this place and treked over from Santa Monica during rush hour. The burst of flavors from both my drink and my dish were quite exceptional. The plating was creative. The food was fresh tasting. I don't know if I will be back as I was a bit turned off. I hope they remember it takes less muscles to make a smile than a frown.

Reviewed July 22, 2017 via mobile

Breakfast.

Drinks: White tea & espresso

1: raw oatmeal, almond milk, red currant, vanilla

(Really F'n tasty. Multilayered. Best oatmeal I've ever had. I know it's "just oatmeal"... but it's not.)

2: icelandic rye bread, cultured butter, preserves

(The bread was very good and is so dense, it's a meal by itself. Not crazy about the butter or preserves since the flavor of the bread overpowered it. Salted Kerrygold would have been better and easier.)

3: organic hen egg, crispy potato, mushroom

(Oh man! This was really great. A real surprise. I literally have to dig into it. It's a treasure.)
---
Lunch at Destroyer...

- beef tartare, smoked egg cream, pickled mushroom, chicory

(This was really good. The sour bitter taste of the chicory was very nice with the smooth and cool beef mixture. It benefits by taking heaping bites!)

- roasted baby yams, avocado, yogurt, walnut

(This was subtle and fine. Pretty to look at and fun to eat. Nothing "spectacular", but it's a nice cool treat. I like the procedural process of eating it. Making "full taste" bites with every ingredient on your fork. Fulfilling.)

- bavarian cream, toffee, apple, sorrel

(Cream with apple sauce and sweet crunchy toffee. It's not much without the sorrel. So careful big bites help here. You have to build your bites because it becomes a big mess if you're not careful. Yummy desert. But it's nothing if any piece is missing.)