“Great Atmosphere & Excellent Food”

K-ZO Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #22 of 362 Restaurants in Culver City
Price range: US$31 - US$180
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Venice
Description: Classically trained in both Japanese and French cuisine, Keizo Ishiba has been honing his skills for over thirty years. From his training in Osaka Tsuji Cooking School to his acclaimed work in Kyoto and Los Angeles, Keizo’s creativity and innovation bring a fresh interpretation to classical cooking styles. His award-winning sushi is at the heart of his technique, but his repertoire extends into a full range of small plate selections, allowing him to create a unique and varied dining experience. Restaurant K-ZO is Keizo’s premier venture as chef-owner and presents a true expression of his culinary vision. His knowledge of European cuisine fused with his traditional Japanese roots exalts passion straight from the kitchen to the table.
Reviewed August 29, 2018

My wife found this place on Yelp & we decided to give K-Zo Restaurant a try. We were not disappointed. The décor is very nice & the atmosphere was great. The wait staff was excellent. Everyone that served us were great, friendly, courteous, knowledgeable.

We started with a few appetizers, Spinach Ohitashi, Hijiki & the Grilled Calamari. All of these dishes were really good. I wouldn't hesitate to order these dishes again.

We decided to share some sushi & ordered the Salmon sushi & the Hamachi sushi. I think both of these are excellent, fresh & very tasty. We then orders a couple of rolls, Salmon Tempura Roll & the Rainbow Roll. These were okay, but not the "game changer" that the sushi was. Next time we'll try something different & see how those are.

Overall, I am so glad we tried this restaurant. I know we will go back & I can't wait.

Reviewed May 22, 2017

While I loved the atmosphere, the food left a lot to be desired. I found the rolls to be average at best and the fish was not as fresh tasting as I would hope for this type of set up.

Reviewed April 22, 2017

If you ever want to have one of the best sushi in West Los Angeles, go to K-Zo in
Culver City. The owners are hands on, the owner-chef does the sushi/sashimi
himself. The waitstaff are friendly and attentive... and food is so fresh and delicious!
Just please come and check for yourself, coz we've been frequenting this restaurant
since I think 2006. It's just a block away from our house in Culver City...

1  Thank MMC66
Reviewed March 27, 2017

We've been there twice and will be back again. Although K-Zo has a full sushi menu, they have plenty of other choices. Everything we've had was very good.

Reviewed February 6, 2017 via mobile

Super-busy spot, with convenient parking in attached structure. It can get noisy, if that's a concern. You can order off the (standard "check off items on a paper list") sushi menu, along with additional (tapas-style, if that helps to describe) hot bites and cold bites.
This combination of offerings is especially helpful for those who aren't wanting only sushi. My dining partner raved about the salmon sushi, in particular. We both really loved the beet salad with goat cheese; so fresh and flavorful! I enjoyed the crabcakes very much. The New Zealand mussels were tasty, yet had a unique, pungent layer of a hot creamy I-don't-know-what! I liked it, but it could be too much and too strong for the unadventurous. (Don't be like me - ask the server what that mussel topping is!)
Service was fast and evenly paced in the serving of dishes, particularly for such a packed house. The only reason for four stars and not five - some servers seemed genuinely interested in our needs; others came across as having zero personality. No server was rude, but the unevenness of the attitudes was obvious. In fact, the busboy was, by far, the most polite, efficient and polished employee we encountered - he'd do very well if promoted to server!
In sum: high-quality food, fast service, uneven training of server attitudes. Management could easily observe which servers (and busboys!) outshine the others, and replace those who seem pained to be there. Don't rest on your laurels as being a currently popular spot; strive to improve each of your servers' approach.