“Beautiful, classic historical hotel, very comfortable stay”
Review of The Culver Hotel

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Culver City
Reviewed 24 June 2012

We stayed in a Culver Suite, the top of the line suite at this hotel, for 6 days. It is not inexpensive, but the suite was very roomy and comfortable, with a large bedroom, living room, two bathrooms (one with a tub, the other a shower), and plenty of closet space. The decor of the hotel and the rooms is enchanting, classic decor that evokes the early 20th century, while still offering all the modern amenties and comforts. The bed and bedding were super comfortable, offering a soft mattress cover, plush comorter and choice of pillows. Lots of towels in the bathrooms. This hotel is in the heart of Culver City, surrounded by restaurants, and some shops, a multiplex movie theater, and a stage theatre (the nearby Kirk Douglas Theater), in a quaint area of Culver City next to Sony Pictures Entertainment and the old Culver studios, restored to its movie making heyday. It is a great area to walk around day or night, and there is plenty of night life, with restaurants, bars, live music. The hotel itself offers live jazz in the lobby lounge every evening of the week, and it is very popular. The noise did not filter to our 6th floor suite. The only downside in our entire stay was a bit of street noise along Culver Blvd. early each morning, so if you are sensitive to noise, you may prefer a room facing the rear.

Room Tip: High floor recommended. We stayed in the largest suite, but I peeked into a couple of other rooms...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Crowther,
It was an absolute pleasure having you stay with us at our wonderful little hotel.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

My girlfriend and I spent a wonderful night here this past weekend. Highlights include: friendly and attentive staff, a super comfortable bed, live music in the lobby, convenient location from which to explore Culver City and free breakfast.

I'd go back anytime and recommend it for business & leisure, to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thanks for encapsulating the exprience so well Mr. Burde,
see you back soon.

Reviewed 5 June 2012

I was in LA for the weekend. My meetings were all over the place: near LAX, near the coastline, and downtown, so my host recommended that I pick a hotel in the centrally located Culver City; the Culver Hotel was on the top of his list, and so I booked a room here.

I was glad I did. As I quickly learned this is a historic destination. The hotel is near the Sony Pictures Studios; the former MGM Studios. The hotel was the home of the Wizard of Oz cast, many movie stars from the late 1930s, 40s, and 50s, including Frank Sinatra and Ronald Reagan. Prior owners include Charles Chaplin and John Wayne. Wow, what a cool place to visit!

For a such a historic hotel, I was delighted to see that it had been extensively remodeled and updated. My room had a nice fluffy king sized bed, sofa, desk, flatscreen TV, fireplace (not working), and a posh marble bathroom. The free WIFI service was plenty good.

The beautiful front lobby and ground floor look like it was preserved from the original hotel design. At night the ground floor is a very popular Jazz bar with live entertainment and was packed on Friday and Saturday nights -- no doubt a destination for locals, not just hotel guests.

For check-in: there's a five-minute parking area in front of the hotel. Use it! The nearest public parking is a block away. Once you are checked in, the hotel folks will tell you how to get into the Culver City parking garage -- they have a deal with the hotel and allows over night parking.

The person at the front desk was warmly friendly and helpful. I had a spare hour when I arrived and he helped me find some of the nearby historic sites.

Room Tip: Do valet parking, not city parking garage on Cardiff. I knew I was going to be in-and-out several t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jkozik
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2012

I would love to talk to you about being a copy writer for our hotel, you encapsulated what we have here so beautifully.
Thank you for joining us and tell all your friends and family.
All the best,

Reviewed 30 May 2012

This is a special hotel. While still somewhat of a work in progress in terms of some of the public areas, no cost has been sparedon the rooms. All modern amenities combined with traditional style furnishings. Old southern California charm had been accentuated, no detail has been overlooked. Bedding is top notch, bathrooms are tastefully done while maintaining their old character. The live music scene on the ground floor is a nice touch, but it may create some extra noise issues for guests on the lower floors. This hotel is not easily categorized. It's not up to the level of some posh, hip lodgings in LA, but it's head and shoulders above national chains, while being only slightly more expensive. If you are looking for a centrally located, comfortable,charming hotel with character - this is it. If you forget about traffic on nearby 405, you almost feel like you stepped back about 60 years.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank onepoet
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. Everybody likes a "Nice surprise".
Love the fact you appreciate the old charm and new renovation.
Our room renovation is complete, our Grand Lobby and Dining Room are ready, all we are finishing is our meeting room space on the 2nd floor. No disturbance to our guests.
The live music, 7 days a week, from 7:30pm, brings in a nice crowd, but is finished by 11pm, so no problem for our guests up on the 3rd through 6th floor of rooms.
Look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

Have been there a couple of times… the last time, when we got to the room, it was very smelly, went down to complain and we were immediately assigned to another room… breakfast is not really continental breakfast, it's just coffee, tea some bread and orange juice, other than that you have to order from the restaurant menu, but that's not a problem since the Grand Cassino bakery across the street has some really good options… the room's exquisite decor is a plus…

Room Tip: ask for the round bed room, that's my daughter favorite
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Ikebana2010
Seth H, General Manager at The Culver Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2012

Thank you for being a regular guest. Looking forward to many more visits.

The complimentary continental breakfast comprises of the coffee, OJ, granola, yoghurt, fresh fruit, nuts and dried fruits and a selection of baked items. They are set-out at 7am until 10:30am. One of the real pluses of Downtown Culver City is that there are so many really nice restaurant options within walking distance, you found Grand Casino (Argentinian), very good neighbors.

Sorry about the first room, not acceptable at all. Thank you again.

Seth Horowitz

Reviewed 23 May 2012

I've you're looking to host a private event at the Culver Hotel, take a look at the upstairs bar and lounge. It's a cozy environment, with it's own small bar, and plenty of space for mingling and socializing.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Jay A

Thanks for letting people know about the Lounge. Perfect for up to 75 people. Your own bar, your own music, your own space. See you again soon.
Seth Horowitz

Reviewed 19 May 2012

With more than $250 in cash and my best jewelry as we were in LA for a big family party. Drove 600 miles before I realized I did not have my wallet, a credit card, or the pouch. A very honest housekeeper/maid, an apparently long time employee on the hotel staff, found it all in the lock box which I left open while packing. The manager mailed it all to me in overnight mail (I must have really good karma as this happened again recently in another hotel— I never do this in my real life, only on vacation). Otherwise the hotel is a lot of fun, quirky, good restaurant, a little noisy but a fun alternative to the big downtown LA scene. The area is neighborhoody but not completely suburban with a couple of good restaurants near by. The rooms feel kind of old, but not offensive or stale and the windows actually open to let in real air on a cool night. Beautiful old building. When we checked in they put us in a room with a round bed (silly) but my very very tall husband couldn't fit so they moved us to a bigger, standard room, comfortable bed, fridge, and well, a lock box in the closet. not luxurious and certainly worth the money; we definitely would stay there again, though the location is not the most exciting part of town.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the movie theater and not the street.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends

We are very pleased you got your belongings.

Come and back and see just how lively Downtown Culver City is on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings. Between the movie theatre across the road, Kirk Douglas Theatre near Sony and the 30 + restaurants and bars in a 1/2 miile area, it is "ALIVE". We have our live music in the Grand Lobby every night after 7:30pm.

See you soon.

6.9 km away
Marina Del Rey Hotel
Marina Del Rey Hotel
#1 of 11 in Marina del Rey

Been to The Culver Hotel? Share your experiences!