“What Italian should be”

Enzo's Italian restaurant
Ranked #12 of 257 Restaurants in Cupertino
Reviewed September 17, 2017

Having grown up with a mother and uncles who made home-made authentic Northern Italian cuisine, I am really picky when it comes to Italian restaurants. You will NEVER catch me in that famous Italian chain restaurant. Having said that, Enzo’s food passes the “authentic” test. So here we go.

Finding Enzo’s is not easy – kind of like looking for Bigfoot. Housed in the back part of a strip mall next to the discount Bluelight Cinemas and a dance studio, they only have a couple of poorly-lit banners as signage. Nearby parking is plentiful, except if there’s a dance recital happening. Then you’ll have to play “Dodge ‘Em Cars” with all the dance moms in their luxury SUVs.

The restaurant is upscale, clean and neat. Very low noise level.

Service is excellent.

As to the food, things you should not miss:

The Beet and Goat Cheese Salad. If you’re a beet fan like me, this is for you.

The Caprese Salad. A standard in good Italian places, this one is on the mark.

A word about gnocchi – they look easy to make, but they are not. I’ve tried many times, but have not been able to match my mother’s. To me, a good gnocchi is a litmus test for Italian places. Enzo’s has 2 types, the Gnocchi al Sugo di Angnello (which is a lamb-based dish) and Gnocchi Al Pesto. They both impress.

My companion had the Chicken Parmigiana, and not only was it good, the portion was enormous.

For dessert, I ordered the Tiramisu, thinking it would be your typical lady-finger based dessert. Instead, this was their house recipe – the consistency was parfait-like, with mild flakes of pastry crumbs, tasted great, not overly sweet. A refreshing surprise!

Be warned - Enzo’s is a premium place. If you’re wanting one if the “unlimited pasta’ places, take your coupons elsewhere - this is not for you. Our bill for two - meal and desserts, plus a bottle of wine - was a shade north of $100 with tip.

Reviewed July 10, 2017 via mobile

No need to fly to Italy for the best Italian.
You don't even need to go to San Francisco.
If you can believe this, the best is at the oaks shopping center in Cupertino. Beautifully presented amazing dishes, Great ambience, easy parking, super friendly waitstaff. 10 stars if I could give it.

Reviewed July 6, 2017

A great new Italian cuisine restaurant in Cupertino, CA. Small inside but excellent service and great food with reasonable portions. They go for quality and not quantity. Busy on weekends so make a reservation early.

Reviewed May 16, 2017

One of the better Italian Cuisines in the Bay Area. We started with the Guazzetto di mare (shrimp and prawns stew that was cooked just right and very tasty), Linguine al nero di seppia (black squid ink linguine prawns and smoked salmon-linguine was cooked perfectly), shrimp daily special that was the highlight of our dinner. We had the Tiramisu that was a Enzo recipe but not to our taste. Enzo, one of the owners, was an excellent host with many stories of Italy. We would highly recommend Enzo.

Reviewed May 12, 2017 via mobile

We stopped by for dinner and found that this is a promising new place in Cupertino; a few minor adjustments could make this a great place in the area. The food was pretty good and worth repeat visits.

We shared the meat and cheese appetizer. It had generous cuts of Parma ham, salami, prosciutto and hard and soft cheeses -- beautiful and tasty. Warm focaccia bread in olive oil was really good. My wife had the seafood ravioli and they were fabulous with plenty of delicious seafood. My daughter had the papperdelli noodles and the flavor and fresh sauce were quite good but the pasta was clumpy and poorly separated. My chicken was ok but the next time, I think I'll try something else.

There was a stream of servers checking our water, clearing plates and making sure we were satisfied but sometimes it was confusing as some didn't know we had ordered our courses and asked us a second time. Then there would be lulls and we'd have to flag down someone when we needed something.

Two things stand out which I would suggest might help this place -- service was spotty and not well managed so it wasn't clear who was actually serving the table. Also, and this may seem trivial, but the dining area was blasting rather loud, "sports bar" type of music throughout the entire meal. To us, we'd prefer something quieter and more relaxing. I don't have anything against this music in the right setting but the place seemed to offer a fine dining atmosphere and the loud music seemed out of place for this.

I think once they start working on these issues, Enzo's can really stand out in this Cupertino area.