“pleasant surprise”
Review of Coastal Kitchen

Coastal Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Coastal Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 149 Restaurants in Dana Point
Reviewed August 20, 2018

I was on my way to Laguna Beach and I wanted a quick lunch. I looked at my phone and saw this restaurant. It seemed ok, so I stopped. What a nice surprise. the restaurant is totally clean, recently renovated, staff friendly. The menu was interesting, so I took a Ceasar salad as an entry and trout as the main dish.
Everything was very good, and I had a good time.
If you pass by, stop there, you will like it!

Reviewed August 18, 2018

First of all, it's pet friendly so that's a big plus when we can take our two Yorkies with us.
We enjoyed seafood dishes and took an order of baby back ribs to go. Excellent food.
restaurant staff was welcoming and attentive. A nice new find.

Reviewed August 13, 2018

Came here with family for birthday celebration. Made reservations in advance so no waiting for a table. Next time will make sure to reserve a table in the front area of the restaurant. The tables in the back where you can see the kitchen were much too noisy for us. We could not have a conversation and I could barely hear our waitress and she was standing right next to me! We order the clam appetizer with toasted bread. The clams were fine but the bread was placed on the bottom and it was very soggy. Would have preferred the bread be served on the side and we could dip the bread into the clam sauce. Our entrees came out promptly and presentations were lovely. My husband had the ribs with cole slaw and skinny french fries. The sauce was a tad bit too sweet, but rib portions were good. Son had the scallops with mashed potatoes. Scallops were cooked just right, but didn't taste the true sweetness of the scallops and the mango sauce was also a tad too sweet. Mashed potatoes were not anything special but good consistency. My two crab cakes were good size and plenty of crab meat and not too much filler. I got roasted Brussels spouts for my side and they were good. We shared the key lime pie for dessert - big slice. I have to honestly say we were not totally impressed with the food. We may come back another time and order something else on the menu. The Parker bread was not very good.

Reviewed August 5, 2018 via mobile

This is a very nice casual restaurant with a relaxed upscale vibe, refreshing interesting food, and good service. The fried Brie salad, crab cake salad are amazing & my favorites!

Reviewed August 5, 2018

We were staying in the local area on holiday and looking for somewhere new to eat. This restaurant wasn't here on our last visit. Booked for a Saturday evening, very busy think booking is a must at the weekend.
What a great place! It has a really lively feel from the minute you walk in, very friendly and helpful staff. Great choice on the menu too. We started with the chef's tacos to share then had Cioppino, Jumbo Lump Crabcakes and Fillet Steak. All cooked perfectly and tasting delicious. Portions large we couldn't manage dessert afterwards.
Had a grown up feel to the restaurant although there were families with children eating.
So great we booked to go back again a few days later.