2,975 results
All reviewsgolf coursebeach clubst regisstonehill tavernbutler servicebeautiful propertylobby barturn down servicemain poolthe ritzkids poolfour seasonspool staffhigh endpool viewbottle of champagnesouthern california
Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

Newer resort with ocean views. Clean luxury rooms. Overall better facilities than Ritz across the street and much newer and bigger rooms. Nicest part is you can park free in underground self park and avoid valet. This has been a great location for dinner and drinks. It is a bit pricey for food.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed May 24, 2012

i read a few of the reviews and still decided to book a night there b/c most of them were from 'platinum' members whose complaints seemed a little petty and were probably used to getting amazing service so anything less than that would warrant a complaint. well, i'm no platinum member, i just got married, and we were unable to take an immediate honeymoon b/c of work so decided to just splurge on one night at a really nice hotel to give ourselves a little treat and decompress. so this is the only honeymoon i get until who knows when and it was, to say the least, very disappointing. i had supposedly gotten a 'space available' upgrade, early check in, and late checkout with the deal i got. i called the day before b/c i've heard about 'sa upgrades' and know especially on a sat night it probably wasn't likely. but the woman (i did tell her it was our honeymoon) was so sweet and congratulatory and checked and said it was available and we were all set. i was thrilled. she said she couldn't guarantee early check in but we could go whenever and use the resort as they held our luggage. great! well, we got there at 1:30pm and the front desk rep couldn't have been colder and just said our room wasn't ready, and when i asked to confirm the upgrade he said it was 'no longer available' b/c they were 'almost at capacity'. when i said that i thought it was confirmed, he just apologized curtly and did offer us as a 'consolation' a $6000 room for $2K. well, like i said, we are no platinum members and i could do 2K if i didn't pay my rent so we laughed and said maybe next time. strike 1. don't say i have a confirmed room if i don't. then my expectations won't be completely deflated. we asked for an ETA for room being ready and he just said 'at least by the check in time at 4'. so we grabbed our suits and went by the pool, where all of the $15 drinks tasted like a pre-made mix. i don't mind paying that much for a drink (on my splurging honeymoon that is) if they taste good. don't they have fresh fruit at those places?? the only upside there was that our server was very nice and did feel bad that the drinks didn't seem to be up to par. well, 4pm comes and goes and still no 'room ready' phone call. i called at 4:15 and they apologized and said it still wasn't ready. at 4:45 they called to say it was ready, and to go to the front desk to get the key... we go all the way in and the line is 15 people deep. i grab someone's attention and ask if we can just get our key b/c we've been waiting for 3 hours and the front desk woman says 'well, sorry. so has everyone else'. 5:05 we get our key, walk the bazillion miles to our room (b/c of course our 'special rate' is in egypt) and we get there and the HOUSEKEEPERS ARE STILL CLEANING THE ROOM. ok... so maybe i shouldn't complain, but if i can't get a room that doesn't face the parking lot, i would at least like to get what I PAID for, which at this point i haven't. not to mention the fact that they write the rate you paid on your room key envelope, which i find in poor taste. is this so the staff knows how well to treat you?!? shouldn't every person be treated equally, regardless of the rate paid? so i march back (by this time it is 5:30pm and i have to wait in line again), and I'm almost crying at this point b/c we've paid so much money for something that is ridiculously not worth it. the front desk guy gives me another key for the room next door. i walk down to the basement parking lot room again and try to relax and just figure out what to do for dinner (5:45pm..strike 2). my husband calls the concierge, who says all the restaurants in the hotel are booked, as well as the one down by the beach associated w/ the hotel. awesome. so we just shower and decide to press our luck b/c we hadn't had lunch so were starving. we go to the hotel restaurant (michael mina's) where they say they are full but we can sit in the bar. we decide to even though THE RESTAURANT AND TERRACE ARE COMPLETELY EMPTY. i realize it is only 6:30 so they probe have a lot of people coming, but still am a little annoyed. well this is the ONLY good part of our stay. the food was remarkable. unbelievable good. however EVERY TERRACE TABLE WAS OPEN the ENTIRE time we were there, as well as 3 tables in the restaurant. and we didn't leave until 8:45. THE ENTIRE TIME. where are all of those reservations that they were 'at capacity' for?!? and why didn't the hostess come get us and move us when she realized they were all still empty?!?! that is baffling to me. who exactly are they waiting for? why are they making us sit on a couch in the bar w/ no view when at least 5 tables (for 2) are still open?! STRIKE 3. at that point i had just resigned myself to it and decided i would just try to enjoy the fact i was at a nice place that a lot of people don't get to go to... high class problems to have. but i will NEVER stay and spend my HARD EARNED money on a hotel from this hotel chain again. EVER. so if you are a middle-class, normal person who doesn't have money for fancy places but every once in a while for a special occasion (like getting MARRIED) likes to splurge, go somewhere else.

Room Tip: make sure you clarify 'garden view'... ours was a tuft of grass and then a parking lot.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
11  Thank k0r0r0
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Can't say anything but WOW .. What a great staff and hotel ... Only thing we had was we didn't realize it was so far south of LA ... But once there it was worth every minute.

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed at a company function from May 15 to May 19 with a large group. We had a wonderful room with a view of the pool and oceans. The room was exactly what you would expect for a 5 star hotel, wonderful linens, great bathroom with deep soaking tub, plush robes - overall I would not change a thing in the room. The staff was friendly and helpful at all times.

We did have a bad experince with staff at the gift shop. She was rude, unhelpful and even yelled at me when I asked what the initial of her last name was. She claimed to the the assistant manager, out of respect I will leave her name of the review - but I do plan on writing a letter to the management. It was Saturday AM and we were leaving shortly for our flight. She was so rude, I politely asked her what the inital of her last name was - she yelled at me. I could not understand why this required yelling - but she was just rude, short and very unplesant. Not up to the St. Regis standard. Not a pleasant way to end a wonderful trip.

We had several spa treatments, enjoyed the beach, loved the private male and female areas - would return in heart beat - except for the nagging feeling of the yelling woman in the gift shop.

But, I doubt that you would encounter her, so I would advice going to the St. Regis, forget what it is costing and have a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Room on the highest floor possible, in the wing facing the pool and ocean - I believe it is the south wing, our room number was 673 - wonderful view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sierra T
Reviewed May 19, 2012

Here for a conference so didn't pay for the room (don't even know the price). Everything about the facility is first class. It's a rather long walk to the beach but they do have a shuttle. Pool is lovely. Room, bathroom, bed are outstanding. Surrounding area worth exploring but you would need a car

• Stayed: May 2012