“Mixed review, might try again”
Review of Harbor House Cafe

Harbor House Cafe
Ranked #51 of 149 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: American, Chinese, Mexican
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Takeout
Reviewed February 14, 2018

All I wanted on my Birthday was to go out for breakfast. We drive by all the time and thought let's try it. I ordered traditional bacon and eggs with the country potatoes with a side of salsa and avocado. It was pretty good but not GREAT. My potatoes were overcooked and to the point of being charred (black) in places. My scrambled eggs were a bit wet in places but I did not request Scramble Hard so this was to be expected based on every experience I've had ordered scrambled eggs anywhere if I don't ask for hard they won't be cooked all the way through. The portions are very generous and I could have split this with another person. Coffee was good and Orange Juice was fresh squeezed.

My husband had the Denver omelet and really enjoyed it. He had the has browns and said they were very good.

The server was nice enough and accommodating. It was busy in here for breakfast on a Sunday. So I didn't expect the server to attempt to get to know us, just serve us well and go on to the next customers. She did take good care of us.

In the end my husband wants to try it one more time before ruling it out. I could pass but may go back if he really wants to. Otherwise a pretty cool old style diner with movie posters and it has been around for ages so it has a very nostalgic feel to it. The menu is extensive (think Cheesecake Factory menu size) and offers quite literally a ton of options. I did not look for vegan or gluten free (sorry, not how I roll) but with the amount of entries and accommodations I would be surprised if anyone with any dietary needs could not eat here.

Reviewed December 19, 2017

I went over with a friend for a Milk Shake and a burger. We had a wonderful and super friendly waitress (Lauren - the "shorter Lauren" we were told). She did a great job on the shake and found out for us that the restaurant has been running a Cheeseburger and fries special that costs just $5.99 instead of the normal roughly $11.00. Simply a super value. We were not rushed and I enjoyed a friend's company (who I had not seen for a while) for about 90 minutes. Great job Lauren! A five star experience!!

Reviewed November 21, 2017 via mobile

Stopped in after a beautiful day on the coast. The menu here is extensive and service good. I ordered the bacon avocado and cheese omelet. So good and I'm quite full. Hubby ordered the scrambled eggs and hash browns. Good food and good value

Reviewed November 2, 2017

I've patronized and sent people to this restaurant for over 25 years. Last week I introduced a couple new to the area and had lunch. As a nice gesture they bought me 5 $20 gift certificates to eat there. A few days later I had breakfast ,$11.95 and added a $4 tip and handed over the certificate. " You have to use it all today or lose the additional amount , we don't give change" a snotty older woman at the register quipped. This has never been a place for a memorable service experience but this old woman is the worst.
I replied for her to give me back the certificate and she refused !!!! I told her I would pay with a credit card rather than lose money and she quipped,"show me the credit card first" I am a fellow business owner in Dana Point for over 25 years and I was amazed. What did she think, that I would take the certificate and run away over $15? This power hungry, sloppy excuse for a server was unbelievably rude. I asked for a manager to which she replied "she" was the manager.
I have tried to contact management over this to no avail. Promised that I would have an answer by 6:00pm the real manager was to talk to her manager. No call by noon the next day I called. I was very civil and was willing to work something out but she refused.
Hundreds of patrons have come there because of my recommendations and I will make sure that many more know not to go there.
The place is now dirty and this slob of a supervisor has lost them thousands of dollars in revenue.... Contact me please for the low down on this poor excuse for a restaurant. I'm anxious to share much better places for you to go. Anywhere but "The Harbor House CAFE"

1  Thank cap10paul
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

After many years, I decided to give it one more chance. I should have gone with my gut feeling little would have changed. It’s amazing that any menu this large can disappoint your every option. My sweet and efficient waitress spent her whole time apologizing for the whole experience