“Great View, Good food”

Price range: US$25 - US$100
Cuisines: Latin
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Raya, named “Restaurant of the Year” by Riviera Orange County in July 2011, is a great restaurant concept by acclaimed Chef Richard Sandoval. Raya showcases Pan-Latin Coastal Cuisine prepared with sustainable seafood, local produce, natural and organic meat and Chef Richard Sandoval’s signature Latin flavors. Discover delectable dining on the coast of Dana Point during your next visit.
Reviewed June 21, 2018

While staying at the Ritz this was a great dining option. The view at sunset is unsurpassed. My favorite dish was the smoked swordfish appetizer. It was perfectly prepared and not too salty. The Black miso cod was very good and would certainly order this dish again. The Arroz Negro was a fresh seafood medley with black rice. This dish was good but not great simply because it didn't fit my taste preference. The seafood was fresh and prepared perfectly. The service was uneven. Reservation is a must to have a hope of a window front table.

Date of visit: June 2018
RCLagunaNiguel, Manager at Raya, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughtful and detailed feedback. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, from the breathtaking Pacific views to the artfully crafted dishes. Come back soon and enjoy another extraordinary sunset!

Reviewed June 20, 2018

really enjoying having breakfast here looking out at the ocean. very pleasant atmosphere and pretty darn good food. enjoyable place to have a bite

Date of visit: June 2018
RCLagunaNiguel, Manager at Raya, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2018

We agree with you - the view is amazing! Thank you for visiting RAYA at The Ritz-Carlton. We enjoyed having and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed June 19, 2018

Last month, I stayed at the Ritz Laguna Niguel with 2 friends to celebrate a birthday.

We didn't make reservations for dinner so we walked up at Raya around 7.30pm. My friend asked if there was a table and was told it was full, not a table the rest of the night.

Shocked because we saw several empty tables, I immediately went on my phone to see if I could reserve via Open Table. I was able to! The earliest table available was for 8.30pm which I booked for the 3 of us. Then I followed up with a phone call saying I have reservations at 8.30 and could I move it up to an earlier time. I called away from hearing distance so they had no clue it was our party. The lady who answered told me she would ring me back. She did and we got a table before 8pm.

My friend who initial tried to get a table proceeded to tell the hostess that I just made reservations via Open Table. She then spoke to the duty manager. He apologized profusely and sat us himself.

He was a very friendly manager who offered us complimentary drinks. However 2 of us don't drink alcohol so he offered appetizers. He tried to make up for the poor service of his hostess who told us there were no tables the rest of the night.
The waiter was also friendly and tried his best.

This was a first for us. There were several empty tables when we first came in. They told us they were all reserved. She could have offered to take our # and call if there were cancellations but she didn't. My friend give her # anyway.

But there must have been cancellations because as we sat there eating, a few tables remained empty. So either they didn't show up or they were never booked to begin with. My friend took photos of the empty tables.

We told a hotel staff the next morning before check out to which he offered a $150 credit towards our stay which we used for the resort fee and 2 parking fees. Although the gesture was nice, we would have preferred it hadn't happened at all. It was sad to be discriminated against.

I write this so management can make sure this never happens again. We can only hope.

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank momof7now

We sincerely regret that you feel this way, and we thank you for sharing this review with us. Our ladies and gentlemen’s highest greatest priority is providing the most memorable experiences and exceptional service for our guests. We would truly value an opportunity to discuss this situation with you further. Kindly contact our Executive Office at your earliest convenience. Thank you again for providing your feedback and concerns. We look forward to making this right for you.

Reviewed June 12, 2018

The view of the pacific and the cliffs were breathtaking!
The food was good and the wait staff was amazing! We had breakfast there for my birthday and I mentioned this to the servers Joel and Cesar and they brought me a little treat with a candle. Very nice touch. They also constantly made sure we were topped up with drinks and offered us pastries to try. Excellent, friendly service. Will definitely go back!

Date of visit: June 2018
RCLagunaNiguel, Manager at Raya, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2018

We enjoyed having you at RAYA. Thank you for choosing The Ritz-Carlton for your celebration. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed May 22, 2018

So we went last night and ordered the lobster tacos, best dish of the night, the Budda bowl, which was beyond "a little spicy" and the arroz negro which had great flavor in the rice with Chorizo but the shrimp were tasteless.
The time between app and mains was too long, approximately 30 minutes. We looked around at the ten or so other tables seated at the time and no one was eating - like the kitchen was getting any food out the door - it was kind of strange. Also, the descriptions in the menu left you with a few questions - im still not sure what Tostones Rellanos is.
I would go back to try them for brunch. I think their dinner menu could use some work. The ocean view was stunning - hypnotic even.

Date of visit: May 2018
RCLagunaNiguel, Manager at Raya, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2018

Thank you for choosing RAYA at The Ritz-Carlton, Laguna Niguel. Although we are pleased that our ladies and gentlemen served you well and that our breathtaking views complemented your dining experience, we regret to hear that other aspects of your dinner did not live up to your expectations. We value your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon. If we may assist you in any way, please contact the resort directly.