“Brilliant Sushi Great Host”

Choya Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #94 of 149 Restaurants in Dana Point
Price range: US$10 - US$30
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Choya Japanese Cuisine offers modern, contemporary, Japanese cuisine made from the freshest and finest ingredients. You'll be sure to find a new, favorite sushi roll from our extensive list of innovative and creative sushi rolls. Our popcorn lobster roll and protein roll are very popular, as are our combination bento boxes.
Reviewed November 14, 2015

Enjoyed 3 visits to Choya over the last year with my lawyer friend Walter from Laguna Beach. Each visit I was very impressed with the freshness and quality of ingredients as well as the great staff both serving and preparing food. Compliments to Jun for making all this work so well. Loved the Sweet Shrimp - it's the "bomb".

Reviewed August 2, 2015

I visited Choya about 2 months ago and had a great experience. We had a schedule movie across the street last night and wanted to eat here again. The name had changed to Zen Sushi, but given our time constraints, decided to stay and eat there...wow, was that a HUGE mistake. Where do I start? The place was only 33% full at peak Saturday night hours. I assumed the OC Fair effect, but now I know what most people must already...I will never step foot in that place again! They could offer free food for the year and I will not waste my time ever again. Our Server was slow and pre-occupied with whatever she was doing (wasn't other patrons because there wasn't many there!) The under-servers were great and nice. My beer (bottle of Asahi) took 30 minutes after I asked for it twice. There were 4 of us and the Server literally forgot my wife's entire dinner, no kidding. Yes, servers have bad days, I was one myself, I get it...but what threw me over the top was the complete disregard for our situation and attitude to rectify the issues. The server didn't give a crap, no manager ever came over and we quickly finished up our dinners to get the hell out of there. I was pissed and waited at the front of the restaurant to speak to the Manager and discuss our experience...only to be told, " our manager is working tonight". I just about fell over...plus the terrible attitude and tone by the other Server as I asked for a Manager, as if I was satin himself. From there, I was done. The service was atrocious, the management structure there is an absolute joke and I would be in a pine box before I ever eat there. I would only recommend it to my worst enemy. Choya was great, good ambience still, but absolute joke! Who doesn't have a manager on Saturday night? My only other thought is they lied to me so I wouldn't make a scene...hence Yelp! If the restaurant would like to challenge my assertions, I am available to speak with...if you dare. I look forward to the next turnover there...its a great location for the movies...just need something decent with a sense of experience.

Eric

2  Thank carlton10410
Reviewed June 18, 2015

First time here and we went for lunch. At $13 it was more than I usually spend but with the portions and quality, I can't complain. The chicken and tempura were very good. The place was really quiet, so maybe it's busier at dinner when people are used to spending more money on a meal. I will probably alternate with the other local sushi place as their lunch specials are smaller but also lower priced.

Jun C, Owner at Choya Japanese Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2015

Thanks for this great feedback, Marc! I really appreciate it, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

All the best,

Reviewed May 23, 2015

No dislikes!Plenty of parking,clean restaurant,great service & delicious sushi & food,sushi chefs were very friendly & recommended some great dishes,reasonably priced,definitely going back.

Jun C, Owner at Choya Japanese Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2015

Wow -- thank you for this amazing recommendation of our restaurant! It is appreciated more than you know.

Hope to see you again soon,

Reviewed April 14, 2015

Really high quality fish and you can tell. Extremely clean and well appointed. It's not inexpensive but the lunch special and happy hour are accomodating.

Jun C, Owner at Choya Japanese Cuisine, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2015

Bruce, it's great to hear that you're a fan of our fresh food and atmosphere. I'm glad you've been able to take advantage of our lunch specials and happy hour! We'd all love to see you again sometime soon.

Best wishes,