“Best Teppan Bar”

Ichibiri Restaurant
Ranked #85 of 149 Restaurants in Dana Point
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Reviewed April 7, 2018

Classic Teppan Bar and always a show and delicious... Been there for ever and ever but always perfect

Reviewed April 26, 2017

We celebrated our 50th anniversary dinner with children and grandchildren in the Ichibiri Tappan grill restaurant.
We always enjoy tappan grill food and the food preparation show but this dinner was a bit of disappointing.
It was very noisy and the quality of the food as well as the tappan presentation were disappointing.
The tappan performance depends for a great deal on the enthusiasm of the tappan cook: our cook did none of the usual tappan tricks and did not impress our grandchildren,.
Next time we are in Dana Point we will dine somewhere else

Reviewed January 7, 2017

We've dined at Ichibiris many times over the years, and as far as the food, it's one of the better teppan style restaurants in the Orange County area. The presentation is average as far as the entertainment value, but will be impressive to young diners. The place is usually crowded, and service is very slow. Decor is a bit dated and room temperature can vary dramatically depending on where you sit. What brings diners back to Ichibiris is the food, which is very good, although preparation can vary depending upon the chef. On a previous visit, our teppan chef used too much cooking oil with the result being a disappointing dining experience. On our most recent visit, we had a different chef who was excellent; a light touch with the oil and seasoning, an both fish and steak dishes were prepared perfectly. The albacore tuna was cooked and seasoned perfectly, as was my wife's steak. Portions are very generous and prices reasonable. Overall, Ichibiris is good, but the dining experience can vary from one visit to the next, and service is not their hallmark. Waitstaff is very busy and not particularly attentive, and because Ichibiris is a popular dining spot, wait times can be long, even with reservations. We continue to go back occasionally as my son absolutely loves the way they prepare their seafood, especially the shrimp, and if consistency would improve, we'd be back more often.

1  Thank 512stewartg
Reviewed November 13, 2016

I've reviewed this place before many years ago. I did not like the cleanliness of the dining room. I returned because my best friend had her birthday party there.

Still not impressed.

The fried rice and vegetables are superb. My chicken with lemon butter was all lemon and no butter. It was also overcooked.

The sushi chef Isac was very entertaining but he was also the messiest Teppan chef I've ever encountered. Noodles and rice were everywhere.

Service was poor. I never was asked if I wanted water or a drink of any kind. My husband had to get chopsticks from another table because only forks and spoons were set at the table, not chopsticks. How weird is that?

The sauces were poured from tea kettles.... again, how weird is that?... and the chef just dumped them in front of us without any explanation as to which sauce went with which meat.

The reason why this place only gets three stars is because of one thing that bothered me so immensely. We were sitting toward the rear of the restaurant. A large, gray Rubbermaid trashcan with black plastic liner was sitting against the wall 10 feet to the right of our table. It was dirty. And it was in the dining room. Like it was a permanent fixture. Incredible.

Why does a restaurant not comprehend how disgusting it is to have a very large and dirty trash can in plain view of its patrons? There was a curtained off room right next to it where bussers took dirty plates. The garbage can should have been placed in there. But nope, let the patrons, while they are eating, watch bussers scrape food off of plates and dump it in the can. I felt like I was in a third world diner.

My first impression years ago was spot on. I won't be back here again.

2  Thank SportsReporter
Reviewed October 26, 2016

Good sushi, good Teppanyaki grill, good tempura, yum. If you never have taken the kids to Japanese grill, now is the time. Lots of entertainment as the chefs cook just for your group. Have you ever flipped a fried shrimp in your chef's hat? Good service. Wine, beer and sake available. Yummy green tea ice cream too.