All reviews front desk room was clean worked great cinnamon rolls parking lot del taco free breakfast king room common areas within walking distance free weights the breakfast area we've stayed ice machine fridge and microwave downtown area hie
Reviewed December 3, 2017

Overnighter on a Saturday. Check in was fast. Room and halls clean and quiet. Bed comfortable but pillows were too squishy. Bathroom clean but bathtub/shower slow to drain. Breakfast was okay but with plastic utensils on styrofoam plates. No Fox News while eating :) Neighborhood safe and quiet.

Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank John S
Reviewed October 27, 2017

Ok, the hotel is OK, a little old but the rooms are clean. But the property is less than 100 yards from the train tracks and the trains come thru every 30-45 minutes, all day and night, and they BLOW their horns, LOUD. So if you value a good nights sleep, chose a different hotel.

Room tip: Chose a different hotel
Date of stay: October 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

I always hate to write about poorly trained staff, but although the hotel is close toUC Davis, I might choose another hotel. During check in I met with a staff member in training who was pretty dismissive. When he made a mistake during check in, I was rushed along because he now had to have a senior staff correct the mistake. Before check out, I had breakfast and when I returned to the room I could renter my room. When I went to the front desk, I asked for a new key. When ai tried the new key it didn't work and had to run back to the front desk missing the shuttle. If you don't have a car and are attending an event, this hotel can feel removed from the downtown. It was clean, and no complaints about the room. Just the staff.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed October 2, 2017

IHG has decided to upgrade and standardize the interior decor and colour scheme of all their HIE hotels and HQ has not disappoint this traveller. I knew they were doing it because I stayed in one at Grove City, PA in June. That HIE was in the midst of the renovation when we stayed.
After a long hot drive from LA to Davis, it was such a pleasure to arrive at this HIE; walked into a bright, airy boutique style lobby, and greeted by a v. professional and friendly night manager. He was most accommodating when I requested a room at the back of the hotel. The day manager and his assistant were equally accommodating when I had to leave one day early. I think it does make a difference when you are an IHG member when requesting a change of plans.
The room (304) was tastefully decorated with modern and boutique style furnishings and colour scheme. It was spotless and everything was in order. It felt so nice to walk into a spotless and modern bathroom for a wash. Compliments to the cleaning staff.
Breakfast room was bright, cheerful and v. clean. There were enough choices to satisfy every traveller. Kitchen management made sure food was regularly replenished. Cinnamon rolls were to die for. Scramble eggs and egg white omlettes were nicely cooked. Much appreciated.
All in all, this HIE can be rated along with the Hyatt Place on campus. Despite Trip Advisor rated the Hallmark Inn as No.1, this is erroneous and wrong. I used to stay at the Hallmark Inn and each visit became less satisfactory, in particular with the room furnishings (old and outdated), the parking, and its free breakfast.
The HIE may not be located in the downtown area, but one can reach downtown by foot in 5 - 10 minutes. The parking lot is well-lit at night and lots of shades during daytime. Another great convenience is the Chevron gas station across the road.
Look no further; book directly with HIE for a better rate.

Room tip: For a quiet room, 3rd floor (top) and back of the hotel. The front can be noisy since the pool is at the front.
Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed September 1, 2017

The hotel is located on the outside of Davis close to the highway making it easy to approach. The first impression is: clean, open and roomy. Parking is not a problem. They have a small swimming pool for those who need a cool down.
The reception was kind and very attentive. They were very helpful on a few issues.

We got a nice room at top level since we prefer to stay at a high level.
No complaints about breakfast. Simple but sufficient.

The hotel offers bikes to explore the neighborhood. We thought it a good idea since we wanted to see the arboretum. Well here you are confronted with typical American behavior. You have to sign for the bikes. Nothing wrong with it, right?. You have to sign if you don't want to wear a helmet!. Bit strange, but given the American culture of claims and avoiding liabilites it fits in the pattern. But then!!!!, if you return the bikes you don't get a document proving you handed them in!!!!
Why is that, was my question? Well, we got them back and that is enough. Really???? Now I don't have any proof that I handed them in. Yes, you do, was the reply. The bikes are standing there in front of the hotel. True, but if anybody from the hotel decides to take them away and put them in a garage or locker and subsequently claims they are stolen I am the cooked goose because I signed the documents that I received them. Or, what about if somebody else simply takes them away. Silence on the other side for a while. But then the answer was: you have to trust us, we won't do that and in the other case we will testify for you. Fair answer but basically it boiles down to: I HAVE TO TRUST YOU, BUT YOU DON'T TRUST ME BEAUSE I HAVE TO SIGN for the bikes or I don't get them.
Well, whatever it is, they won't change the procedure!

The fact we had a flat tire halfway, inner tube proved to be leaking air, and that the tires of the other bike needed some air was just a minor issue. Matter of attention. For tall persons the saddle can't be adjusted to the right level.

All in all, we will still come back if in the area.

Date of stay: August 2017