See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed March 23, 2017

We found this hotel when everything else was sold out in the Joshua Tree area. The manager was friendly and helpful providing extra towels to us.
However, the spa and rooms are outdated or not in good condition. It feels some areas were under construction. They could do a better work to renovate all the furniture and keep it cleaner.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed February 24, 2017

Black stains in the shower,mouse feces in the drawer, and stained bedding. On top of all of that mangers won't do anything about rowdy guests. Whatever you do do not stay here. It's nothing close to a "spa or a retreat"

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank jayohardeehn
Reviewed February 22, 2017

I booked this hotel for a travelling group over the President's Day w/e. We read reviews online and expected a more dated, but quiet / cosy / clean site.

Wow, did we ever get a rude awakening....

The noise: A room of guests were loudly doing beer pong when we arrived ie. partying, screaming, shouting, both in their room and out. Drinking was kept to the room. When I raised a concern about this with the night manager, he said that he would definitely deal with it later as he anticipated the partying would fizzle out by 11. When I suggested that it's his job to manage the noise on site and hotels do have the power to control their guests, he basically said: 'what can I do?'. At 11pm, the manager had all but disappeared so we had to call the local police in to deal with the party crew ourselves.

Do I tell the story about the day manager who encouraged us to 'express ourselves' after he had obviously been drinking as well?

The rooms: stained sheets, stained duvets, mouse diggings and droppings in kitchen drawers, giant water puddle in one room, hole in the ceiling in another room, sketchy clean up around sinks and bath areas, ceiling looking like it was going to buckle,a gentle dog who nonetheless urinated on guest items left outside, etc etc. My colleague had to ask for 4 different duvets for a guest bed before she found one that was less stained than the others. She also had to change the sheets.

I've travelled quite a bit in the States and have stayed at quite a few non big brand name ('ma and pa') hotels and motels, so I wouldn't classify this review as hyper sensitive. Those hotels, although lower budget, at least had a sense of pride in offering a sanitary, well managed and secure site.

The Sandpiper lacks all of these. The only 'Retreat' here is the guest's desire to run the other way.

We tried packing out before 11pm, but this being the holiday weekend nothing else was available within 1 hour's drive. Our travel agent is trying to negotiate a refund, we still have yet to hear from the owner.

To sum up? Stay away and you'll enjoy your trip. Ours was a bust here.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
4  Thank C R
Reviewed October 20, 2016

The Pros: Our A/C worked great, the pools were open 24hrs and were wonderful for post show soaks (we really needed them after 12 hrs of standing in the pit). The neighborhood felt very safe. Our room was big and fairly clean, although very run down and funky.

The Cons: We had booked TWO rooms directly through the Sandpiper, we arrived at 9:00pm Friday and were told "Oh good! You're here, we have one room left!" "Hotels.com overbooked us by 20 rooms"
These people had not bothered to contact any of the customers that were traveling hours to get there. WTH???
We were lucky, there were only four in our group and given the alternative of sleeping in the car, we opted to double up and take the last room.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed October 16, 2016 via mobile

The staff member claimed that they didn't accept credit cards, and then no one was there to check me in to my room so I had to go find a different hotel at 1 am. So, the hotel staff practically blew me off.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled with family