“Good food ...with reservations about take out.”

Kip's Cafe Chinese & Japanese Cuisine
Ranked #44 of 387 Restaurants in El Cajon
Reviewed December 4, 2017

Been there a number of times, and as a New Yorker I know a good fried rice when I taste one -this one has the best.
Yesterday (12/03/2017), I ordered ribs to go -what a disgrace! This was not a bad day for the cook -it was a black eye for Kip's Cafe ... .
The ribs were hard -not over cook. They were from the day before ...or something. How can they serve that?? Where's the integrity of the chef/cook?
Of course I didn't realize it until we got home and there was no way to come back after the dinner table was set-up.
It happened to me before with the fried rice -the pork was too hard to eat (pork fried rice) ...very disappointing.
I trust, the owner will sit down with the chef -with a bottle of wine of course, and remind him/her of what integrity is. That way, I don't have to find excuses to tell my family when I guarantee them, this restaurant was El Cajon best.

Reviewed February 1, 2017 via mobile

I had Miso soup, Tempura Shrimp which includes Tempura Vegetables, along with salad with ginger dressing, and fried rice. It was a lot of food, but I finished it all because it was so good. Have eaten there several times. The food has always been excellent.

Reviewed January 6, 2017 via mobile

Have driven by this place lots of times so my wife suggested that we give it a try. We're so glad we did. The food was excellent and the service was friendly and professional. The place is kinda small and not intimate at all. They also have a good selection of beer and wine. We'll be going back.

Reviewed December 23, 2016 via mobile

We enjoyed our dinner here. Very small eating area with close quarters. A large group so we had a variety of dishes. Orange chicken good. I did not care for beef broccoli as I did not care for the beef. Loved the fried rice. CA rolls liked by all but I didn't try them. A local eatery well liked by the locals. Worth a stop. Loved the garlic chili sauce too.

Reviewed June 5, 2016

You just can beat Kip's for reasonably priced and excellently prepared Asian food. The vegetables are crisp, nothing is overcooked, the sushi is a bargain. This place is a tradition where families have come over the years and then bring their kids and their kids.