“Consistently good place to stay.....”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 31 August 2017

I've stayed at this property during several prior visits to the Bay Area. The front desk staff is always friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, parking is lower cost, and it's in a central location for trips to San Francisco, Napa, and San Jose. The room rates are relatively reasonable for this area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bay view...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 30 August 2017

This was a pretty cool hotel, I had a room with a view of the bridge coming and bay area.
Lots of stuff real close to this Hotel (within walking distance) PF Change across the street, IKEA store nearby, lots to do. Place felt relatively safe. Rooms were good and the Starbucks / Cafe in the lobby was reasonably priced (same pricing as the one I stay at in Fargo / Moorhead . I would definitely stay here again for the price and convenience.

I had business in Albany, but I would have stayed here to get to SF too.

Room Tip: I had a room facing the bay bridge which was really neat
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 August 2017

Considering the number of times I've stayed at a Courtyard Marriott, I was utterly shocked and appalled at the egregious treatment I received at the Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, from the moment I approached the check-in desk. On the evening of Thursday, August 3, 2017, I walked up to the check-in counter and announced to the front desk associate, "Richard", that I was there to begin my stay; I had already paid for the first night via Priceline, so he had asked for a credit card from me to file in case of incidentals, along with a photo ID. Of course, given the endless number of hotels I've stayed in for both business and personal reasons, I was fully expecting this and immediately handed to Richard my valid Illinois driver's license along with my American Express charge card. After looking at the front of my card, Richard, stunningly, told me--without hesitation--that he could not accept my card and that I needed to provide "another card". Befuddled, I gave him a clearly confused look and asked exactly why he couldn't accept my card; specifically, I had asked him if for some strange reason Marriott had stopped accepting AMEX cards, but he told me "no, we accept AMEX, but I've never seen YOUR particular AMEX card before, so I will need you to provide a different card." I then calmly explained to Richard that I've been an American Express cardmember since 2010 (which is clearly marked on the front of the card, as most AMEX cards are). Regardless, I told him that I've never had an issue using my AMEX card ANYWHERE, including at several Marriott stays in the past, but that didn't phase him at all. He then began telling me about some "fraudulent credit card purchases" that "recently" occurred at this particular hotel, and that he was "taking precautions"! Unbelievable! As a young, black working professional, I shouldn't have to go the extra mile to prove my legitimacy when spending MY money. I shouldn't even have to mention race, but that is exactly at the root of this entire debacle that never should've happened in the first place. I knew where Richard was angling when he even mentioned the "fraudulent credit card purchases"; I asked him exactly what in the hell does any of that have to do with me, and of course whatever he responded with at that point didn't even matter to me, as I felt completely profiled, embarrassed, stunned, and helpless--simply waiting to check in using the same credit card that I used to pay for my room upfront. I even asked him why he wouldn't just swipe my card and see it charge as "approved" if he actually felt that I was pulling a fraud scheme, but he was too disrespectful to even reason with. Refusing to acquiesce to his racially-inspired request for me to use a "different" card, I implored him to accept my card, at which point he had me wait in line while he "checked" with his manager if they would actually accept my AMEX card for the incidentals. RIDICULOUS!!! Your employee Richard didn't even CHECK to see that I was a Marriott Rewards member with a history of stays--including on this AMEX card that he gave me so much trouble with. I can go on and on about how upset and angry I am with the entire Marriott brand now, simply because of one AWFUL and embarrassing experience that your employee insisted I receive. After realizing my card was in fact valid and NOT fraudulent as he had accused me of, Richard attempted to "apologize", but obviously by that point I had enough. I also thought it was totally unprofessional and disrespectful for Richard's manager that he supposed went back to chat with, had never even come out to apologize to me for such terrible treatment. I certainly will NEVER return to the Courtyard Emeryville Oakland, and at this point, I have no intentions of choosing to stay at any Marriott hotel for that matter. There are more than enough lodging options around to take my business elsewhere, where I hopefully won't be subjected to profiling and falsely implied as a criminal! Just awful.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Hello Kevin. I sincerely apologize for the mishandling of your check-in. While it is true that credit card fraud is on the rise and businesses are taking extra steps to protect against it, our associate should have just swiped the card you provided and received a bank approval, regardless of it not looking like a typical AMEX card. We had previously received your grievance via Marriott's emailed guest survey and responded, but it appears we did not connect. I will attempt to reach you by phone to apologize in person. In the meantime, please know that our associates, our hotel, and Marriott as a whole fully embraces diversity in our guests and associates. To be open-minded and welcoming to all is a company cornerstone and has earned us numerous awards as a hotel industry leader. Please know that our associate made a mistake and that your experience was very much an exception. I hope to speak with you soon, and that you will forgive his error and continue to stay with Marriott.

Reviewed 28 August 2017

We stayed for about 10 days. Room was very clean, staff always refreshed it in the morning, and the retail in the area was very complete. Good services. :Liked the Trader Joe's right next door. Our grand kids had the room next door, and they really enjoyed the stay, and the bay area. We went into San Francisco for half a day, which is just about the max. Took a boat ride which is a must.

Room Tip: Always ask for an upper floor (View is great) away from the elevators
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 August 2017

Stayed one night on business. The staff were friendly which compensated a little for the hotel which had the appearance of being time warped in 1980s decor.
It was cleanish but would not wish to stay more than one night

Room Tip: Beware that some rooms are facing the freeway
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2017

Hello Allendale36. Thanks for complimenting our friendly staff. With regard to our decor, the guest rooms were completely redone in 2015 in the cool grey/blue with yellow accents shown on our website photos. It is intended to be soothing, but of course there is no decor that pleases everyone. If you're in the area again and don't find another hotel decor to your liking, we'd love to have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 23 August 2017

The hotel is located near Oakland and Berkeley and is very close to the Oakland Bay bridge. Parking is high at $14 a night but if you are here to visit San Francisco, then this is a bargain compared what you will pay in the city.  Emeryville itself is a sad little industrial city aiming to reinvent itself. The good thing is that there are plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance of the hotel.  Housekeeping was great and friendly and kept the room spotless for the four nights we were here. The pool and fitness center were also very clean.

Room Tip: There are Bay view rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 August 2017

Although Courtyard's are not luxury, this facility is surprising by its cleanliness, updated appearance in public areas as well as rooms and a professional staff that is clearly interested in establishing a fine reputation for this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
0.5 km away
4.2 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
4.1 km away
Oakland Marriott City Center

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!