“Evacuation from Santa Rosa firestorm”

Courtyard Oakland Emeryville
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Emeryville
Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

11 days ago I lost everything I own except my car in the Santa Rosa, CA fire. My home, all my clothes, my valuables, my antique family car and my precious kitties were incinerated. I barely made it out alive. My homeowners insurance evacuated me the 60 miles to this property. I was lucky. As soon I arrived here I was greeted by smiles and even hugs. Everyone knew what had happened to me. Especially Franco, Audrey, and Jerry were warm, caring, and accomodating. My room was great: sunny, comfortable, clean, spacious, and with a spectacular view over to SF and the Golden Gate Bridge. The fitness room, pool, restaurant, business center, little store, and laundry room all worked out for me do well for the 11 days. It has been a sad and harrowing time for me but I return today to my hometown and a little cottage I rented. Thank you do much to Courtyard by Marriott Emeryville for welcoming me and caring for me. Everyone, especially Franco went way beyond the call of duty. I will forever remember my evacuation hotel and how you put me on the road to recovery.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank bunionbillbill
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2017

Hello Bill. I am so pleased to hear that our hotel associates, with their warmth and caring, were able to help you make the best of a horrible situation. Thank you for giving special recognition to Franco, Aubry and Jerry, just a few of our exceptional and equally caring employees. Your kind words will be shared with everyone, further motivating them to do what they do. May your recovery be swift and complete. Best wishes!

Reviewed 16 October 2017

This is a typical courtyard. Very comfortable and plenty of room. Wifi worked fine etc. The big problem however was the lack of attention to detail. There was a litany of errors regarding billing, parking, extra charges and then settling the bill.

I WOULD come back here, however, I would definitely stay on top of the staff to make sure you get what you're expecting!

Room Tip: They consider a bay view an upgrade...I'm not sure I would agree.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Mark D
Kamaria R, Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thank you for providing your input. Your feedback is so impactful to help us identify any area where we can strengthen our operation and goal to run the best hotel possible.

We will definitely share your feedback with our Front Office team to ensure that they pay much more attention to billing of our guest's stay.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to improve and prove that we can make strides to correct the type of billing issue you incurred.

Reviewed 12 October 2017 via mobile

If you’re visiting anyone going to UC Berkeley this is a great comfortable hotel to stay in. The wow factor is small but the service and comfortable stay makes it the perfect place to pick. I did appreciate the lobby and the large TVs and how kid friendly it was.

Stayed: August 2017
1  Thank Holly B

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about your recent experience at our hotel.

So glad that our staff made your stay both comfortable and fun.

We hope to see you again, the next time you visit CAL Berkeley.

Reviewed 14 September 2017

Had to book a last minute hotel near the IKEA here as the apartment I rented was not furnished yet and I arrived in SF by car during the night after driving 3000 miles from Toronto. There was plenty of room available and a friendly concierge at the front desk to book me a nice quiet room with a great view of the city. The beds were very comfortable and everything worked properly in the room (most importantly the air conditioning). The showers weren't as good as at the Hampton Inn but adequate.

My only complaint was that the concierge had mentioned breakfast was included only to find out in the morning it was not. Thankfully there was a really good Denny's next door.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2017

The pros: the front desk staff was very friendly, the location was convenient, and the room cleanliness was above average.

Unfortunately, however, during my last stay (7/21/17 - 7/24/17) the rear passenger side window of my rental car was broken while parked in the parking lot overnight, costing me $445.45. When I checked with the front desk, I was told that there were no cameras, and while there was supposed to be a security guard on duty, I didn't see one the entire length of my stay and I entered and exited the parking lot frequently during the three days I stayed there.

I'm a rewards member with SPG/Marriott so I typically try to stay at those properties, but this definitely left a bad taste in my mouth...

Not sure I'd stay at this property again for safety reasons.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Kevin E
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Kevin E, I am sorry to hear that someone smashed the window of your rental car parked in our lot. We do have a Loss Prevention Office on-duty overnight but they also patrol inside the building, not just the parking lot. Their presence outside is enough that this type of incident is rare at our hotel. I hope you did not lose any personal items left in the car, and thank you for recognizing the cleanliness of the hotel and our friendly staff. If you do see fit to stay with us again, I am confident you will not have the same problem.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

The front desk staff is really nice. We got there before lunch, Rita Rosa was patient after we said that we want to higher level room, she was able to find a top level room fro us. The room is a bit small, but the view is really nice, we can see the baybridge clearly. Hotel is clean, it has bar, business center if you need to print, etc. Location is also very good, close to a mall and a plaza which has trader joe, star bucks etc. Very convenient if you had a long day and don't want to eat in a restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I stayed here three nights and the hotel served its purpose. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet and clean. But compared to other Courtyards I've stayed at, this was not the best value for the price. While this is in a good location, the rooms are a little small and the bathrooms need some upgrading. I felt the price I paid for my cocktail was way out of line and they even charged for parking. But on the plus side, the staff was friendly and the wifi worked well. One note of caution for light sleepers - this hotel is right next to the freeway. I requested a room away from the freeway and it was very quiet. I'm not sure how rooms on the opposite side of the hotel are.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Jeff G, General Manager at Courtyard Oakland Emeryville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2017

Hi Michael. Thanks for the compliments about our beds, cleanliness, friendly staff and good WiFi. I’m not sure what night you stayed, but with “dynamic pricing” room rates can be much higher when demand for rooms is extreme. They’re also lower during low demand , like Sunday nights or around holidays. It sounds like you might have stayed when rates were up. We’ll check our cocktail prices against other area hotels and adjust if they are out of line. Also note that our rooms on the highway side are quiet as well, since the hotel was built with thick double-pane windows.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Emeryville
0.5 km away
4.2 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Berkeley Marina
4.1 km away
Oakland Marriott City Center

Been to Courtyard Oakland Emeryville? Share your experiences!