“Visiting the eastbay”

Cuisines: Diner
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 2 October 2017

Well in the Bay Area, dear friends took us to the Black bear restaurant in Emeryville. We were delighted by the old family style surroundings fun menu and friendly atmosphere I ordered the combo platter for lunch which included barbecue baby back ribs and try tip along with homemade cornbread potato salad and vegetables the portions were large and plentiful the young lady who served us was pleasant knowledgeable and even made us laugh! I highly recommend this restaurant but be sure to be hungry as they serve a lot of food and we all took home leftovers!

Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

Great location, food and welcome.

Brilliant service from Tony and all special requests dealt with.

Food well presented and hot/cold as appropriate. Sadly like most places in the USA portions too large leaving to waste!

Large menu choice with all options available and veggie dishes etc available

Definitely recommend a visit

Reviewed 17 September 2017

There are so many great options to choose from. We went for dinner. It wasn't crowded and the service was great. The food we order was all really good and we would definitely go back.

Reviewed 5 September 2017

Had breakfast at 9:15 on 09/03/2017. Party of two. Although the restaurant was only 1/3 full of people we waited about 4 minutes to be seated. Once we where at our table the waitress took around 6 to 10 minutes to begin the ordering process. I noticed first that prices were a bit high. I would say about 20% more expensive than a comparable meal at Denny's. So I expected better service and better food quality. But the bumpy ride was to continue. We ordered a Chorizo Scramble and a Fit and Focused Apple Sausage Scramble. Once the food arrived I opened the utensils that were rapped in a napkin. To my surprised the spoon was have full of old food residue, yuck! The waitress apologized and changed the utensils. We finally began to eat and when I took the first bite of my Chorizo Scramble I was impacted by the cold chorizo. Not warm, completely refrigerator cold yet the cheese on top was warm. The sausage from the Fit and Focused Apple Sausage Scramble was also cold. I returned the my plate and asked them to heat it up. The waitress came back with my food and again apologized. The food tasted well but I was not able to enjoy it because I felt uncomfortable with so many restaurant mistakes and delays. Once done I asked the nice waitress for the bill and I also asked for a discount. My total bill was around $30 and the waitress was able to get us a $6.60 discount. This is why I give this visit three stars instead of one.
What I perceive from this visit is that this Emeryville, CA Black Bear Diner needs to focus better on customer experience. They recognized their errors and gave me a discount but I had a traumatic breakfast and I did not enjoy it. The restaurant was not full and it did not seem to be understaffed but yet the service was slow and the food had the problems I mentioned above.
I would recommend to the restaurant to review its basic procedures and supervise more closely. Remember the customer wants fast and attentive service and good quality food. Just follow that and your customer's experience will be much better. Overall the staff I talked to was friendly but this place lacks passion for quality service. It can be turned around.

Reviewed 26 August 2017

Looking for home-style dishes and large portions? Pot roast? Meatloaf? Ribs? Steak? Burgers? You will not go away empty! This is right across from Fourpoints Sheraton. Food is great. Visit here at least once every stay.