“Highly atmospheric room with an unusual theme”

Exodus Escape Adventures
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I’ve done other impressive escape rooms locally at Escape Sacramento and Enchambered, but Pirate’s Revenge at Exodus Escape Adventures is the one I’ll be recommending as the best around.

The atmosphere and overall design of the room put it in a category of its own. The flash-lit pictures on their website really don’t do the space justice. When our team was escorted through the door by the owner, costumed and enthusiastically in-character, we were no longer next door to Dimple Records in Folsom. We were holding gently glowing lanterns on a dock in 1800s London, about to figure out how to sneak onboard a highly convincing pirate ship. I wasn’t sure how the room was going to simulate the water below the dock, but I certainly didn’t expect there would be actual water down there.

There’s real water. Wet water. Water that’s actually involved in a couple of the puzzles.

The puzzles are clever and well integrated with the theme. They progressively open up several new and surprising parts of the room. The medium difficulty setting together with well-timed hints was just right for our small group of three; we escaped with only a couple of minutes to spare.

The puzzles at Enchambered rely on some impressive tech. That’s not the strategy that Exodus Escape Adventures uses in Pirate’s Revenge. I’d describe this is a low-tech, beautifully constructed room. The lack of fancy tech honestly is not a problem here—just a different style.

I really appreciated that Exodus Escape Adventures chose a family-friendly, positive theme for their first room. There are a lot of rooms around that are spooky, gruesome. or task players with doing things that they’d probably have ethical objections to in real life. That’s not everyone’s cup of tea, or at least will prevent some players from wanting to bring their kids along. Pirate’s Revenge is based on the life of an admirable historical figure. Players learn quite a lot about him and then, within the fictional world of the room, help him to recover his stolen treasure so that he can use it to do what he actually did in real-life: help abolish the slave trade in the British Empire. Our group felt pretty great after an hour of pretending to do that.

It looks like their next room will be based on another admirable historical figure. We’ll be back when it’s completed. I expect we’ll learn a lot, have a blast completing the room, and again leave feeling like heroes.