All reviewsmataking islandbeautiful islandbeach chaletsand barpom pom islandcelebes seaboat ridefood varietytrue paradiselow tidebuffet stylemeal timesarmed guardsworth the effortfacing the seababy turtlesopen water
Reviewed August 22, 2017 via mobile

The resort is so far the only one on Mataking Island (but there is currently another one in construction). Most of staff is very friendly and polite. We stayed one night in the more expensive Villa and then moved to the King Chalets. And the chalets are definitely the better choice as they are also stand-alones but not so close to each other as the Villas.
What definitely is something everyone interested in coming here should consider is the value for money. The resort is for sure a nice one but we think the price is way to high for what you get. The rooms are not high end and the food is good but not so good as one might think because of the price.
Also be sure that you are very comfortable with the Chinese way of behavior as approx. 95% of the guests were Chinese.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maik F
Reviewed August 21, 2017

Our family just returned from an epic Malaysian holiday, complete with 4 days on this little slice of paradise. Upon arrival at the dock, we were greeted with smiles, refreshing welcome drinks and the fantastic news that we were just in time to witness the release of forty-five baby turtles. I can check that one off my bucket list!

The island itself is what dreams are made of, with pristine white sand beaches and turquoise waters. The snorkeling is some of the best I've ever experienced, with amazing visibility and waters abundant with turtles, eels, colorful coral and so many varieties of tropical fish. Don't even get me started on the diving! The Celebes Sea is rumored to offer some of the best diving in the world, and I can confirm these rumors are true. Epic!

The hotel was lovely. Our family booked a king villa on the beach, and we were not disappointed. The villa was large and comfortable, with all of the amenities you could ask for. The staff was extremely friendly, helpful and down-to-earth. They were very kind to our two children, and even put up with my husband and I when we took over the karaoke machine one evening. The food was also good, with a nice variety of offerings to make everyone in my family happy. My only complaint is the coffee. I would suggest bringing your own little brew kit if you're a coffee snob like me.

Overall, I can't recommend this place enough if you love diving/snorkeling or even if you just want a peaceful escape. It truly is paradise and well worth the effort it takes to get there.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed July 23, 2017

I chose Mataking Island over the other resorts in the area due to the beautiful looking island and beaches and our ability to get a Sipidean permit as a snorkeler with only a 2 night 3 day stay. The resort is a bit pricey, but in comparison to others in the area it was probley worth it. We had a lovely well-appointed garden view room, still very close to the water. The food variety was great and varied and a live food station was always interesting. On our second day we did the Sipidean trip. There were 7 people booked onto the boat (7 is all the permits that Mataking gets) and we divided the boat charter between us, which worked out very reasonable considering it is a 90 min boat trip with 4 armed guards. We did 3 snorkels while the others in the boat dived. 2 at Barracuda Point, the best snorkeling we have done. Big schooling fishes, sharks, turtles everywhere, parrothead bump fish and huge variety of other fish and corals. In-between the snorkels we were well looked after with food and drink on the island. Overall Sipidean was all its hype and worth the effort to go even if you do just snorkel. A few things about the resort: a lot of rubbish in the water that gets washed up on the beach, not the resorts fault. Due to strong currents and many people unable to swim, you have to wear a life jacket whenever you do swimming or snorkeling just off the beach!! I see there point for some people, but I don’t think that it should be compulsory. The snorkeling just off the beach was fantastic, right on the edge of the drop off and let the current take you along. There seemed to be many rules around the resort, and we got told off a few times, unnecessarily I thought. It must be said that 98% of the guests where Chinese and the resort was definitely catering towards their needs the most. However, we found that we got exactly what we wanted out of this island and would recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 173louise
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

神秘的海岛,水很清澈,很干净,在这里住了四天三晚,感觉非常美妙,尝试了浮潜见到了神秘的海底生物。这里珊瑚很多,不愧是浮潜圣地。下次还会来!Everything is so perfect here. The people are nice also very kind. The environment here is quiet and comfortable. I will be back again with my whole family next time. So wonderful experience.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2017

We booked the diver packages in April. The diver masters are experienced, and the dive shop staff are very friendly. They help us to set up BCD, regulator and tank for all dives. Although travelling to Sipadan takes 1 hour and 30 mins, you'll be able to get a few days of permits if you book in advance. Not like other dive shops, no matter how many months in advance and how many days you're staying, they can only guarantee one day. The boat staff are very helpful and friendly. Restaurant staff, such as Dina and Marychel, are super nice. Wifi was weak but understandable considering it uses satellite.
Overall, we had great experience in both diving and accomondation in Mataking. Definitely recommend if you prefer a quiet vacation or more days in Sipadan.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family