“Nice, convenient hotel but rooms are little small”

Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Foster City
Roseville, California
“Nice, convenient hotel but rooms are little small”
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The hotel is beautiful, the staff was very friendly and the location was great. For a family of four, however, the rooms were small and the double beds may have been washed on hot accidentally. We had to have a roll-away sent tot eh room and that created a situation where we literally had to step over the roll away to get to the bathroom and door.

Hot water was intermittently hot. One of our party was blasted with ultra hot water while rinsing shampoo from her hair and was lucky there were no burns.

Around 2:30 in the morning I was awoken by some partiers in the hallway being extremely loud, then again about a half hour later as they made their way to/from the room again. Quite annoying.

Beyond that I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side facing away from the freeway at check in.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 31 March 2012

I was booked at the Crowne Plaza Foster City for three nights for a business trip and ended up staying a fourth (in a different room) with a hotel voucher due to a flight delay on USAir. Both rooms I stayed in were in the main hotel rather than the executive tower, and both were in good condition.

The good: Staff was friendly and helpful; towels were unusually thick, soft, and large for this class of hotel; rooms were clean; Internet was usually speedy; despite proximity to the highway, the room was relatively quiet; mini-fridges are standard equipment in the room, which is great for storing soda, yogurt, etc; the airport shuttle arrived quickly and when promised; parking is free and plentiful.

The bad: Toilet in the second room (6th floor) ran continuously (I arrived late enough that I didn't want to call maintenance); beds were not particularly comfortable; all of the many pillows were (I guess) down-filled, which meant they squished down to nothing (I wish more hotels offered foam pillows); space was so tight in the room with two double beds that there was no room to walk between the desk and the bed; business center printer was down and there was no one onsite to fix it.

Based on my experience, the Crowne Plaza Foster City is one of the better hotels in the area. I am likely to return, but I wish the management would invest in some foam pillows before I do.

Room Tip: Rooms on one side of the hotel face the highway and are thus noisier than the rooms on the other sid...
Minnesota
Reviewed 26 March 2012

I was travelling on business and good old SFO was experiencing the usual weather delays. I used an airline discount certificate to book a spot here. Room was clean and very nice. I have no idea how good the discount deal was but the place was much nicer than the hotel I had just left in Palo Alto--and much cheaper of course. Free shuttle from SFO. Check-in was flawless and the staff friendly. Express checkout was, well, as it should be. Shuttle back to SFO was on-time. I'd stay here again!

San Jose, California
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Stayed here following a wedding. Was given a room above the atrium. Horrible location on a Saturday night because there is a club bar or lounge that operates til 2am. Hallways were loud all night. My room had one of those adjoining doors and the walls were so thin I could here the allnight party in the room next door. The front desk may have told them to quiet down per my request but they never did. There is another tower that may have offered a better experience but I will never find out.

Room and Bathroom were nice but not thoroughly cleaned before our stay. Observed food crumbs, a large screw in front of the nightstand. Bathroom sink had a hair in it. Linens were clean and bed was comfortable. King sized bed was not really a king size bed - it felt like a queen. Free wireless internet was the best thing about my stay.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank gertrudeam
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
gertrudeam,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. I would like to offer a sincere apology for the inconvenience caused by the noise from other guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Ben J
IHG Care

Travellers are raving about these Foster City hotels

London
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Moved here after 5 nights at the Sofitel Redwood City. Found the room in better condition than the Sofitel at a fraction of the price. Staying in the executive section, 5th floor, a quit zone floor.
Interesting trip each morning walking through the conference hall section of the hotel to the lobby. Great restaurants, especially the Japanese! Good wifi connection, good business centre, nice location.

Room Tip: Bridgepointe Shopping Mall right next door makes for shopping just a short walk away. Executive roo...
California
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I am staying at the Crowne Plaza for an entire month for my work, which is within walking distance from the hotel. After reading some of the reviews, I had high expectations of the hotel, but was overall disappointed.

This all started when the company for which I work had a special rate with the hotel, but when attempting to book at that rate, I was told that the first week of that month would be a higher rate. It was only $20 more per day for each day of that first week, but my company had specifically said that the rate should be available. I even contacted the specific managers at the hotel, but was told that it would not be available. Therefore, even though the rate difference was not much, for the first week, I ended up staying at a different hotel at the request of my company. However, upon talking with some of my coworkers also staying at the same hotel, they said they were able to get that lower rate after talking to a manager in person.

At the start of the second week, I checked into the hotel and was placed in a room in the Executive Tower. The first things I noticed was the room was nicely furnished. It felt comfortable and appeared clean. However, upon closer inspection, I started to notice a few things. First the AC/heater unit was not working (until I called the front desk the next day and the maintenance person suggested that I "restart it" by unplugging it and plugging it back in). Second, there was a roach/ant bait trap left under the AC/heater unit. Okay, so I guess this is better than actually seeing roaches in the room, but it still was not that comforting. Also, on 2 different occasions so far during my stay here, I noticed that the towels didn't seem that clean, as there were a couple of small stains (one which appeared to be a spot of dried blood). Also, there was water left in the coffee maker from the previous guest that had stayed here, and apparently it was not emptied by the person cleaning the room. The water from the tub also did not drain very well. By the time I was done with even a quick shower, there would be a pool of water that did not drain quickly enough from the tub.

An additional thing to note is that the walls seem somewhat thin and do not have enough sound insulation. In the middle of the night, I can hear people getting up to use the restroom. I'm not talking about hearing just a toilet flush, but even the urinating in the toilet could be heard from other rooms.

During the weekend of my 2nd week here, I requested to be moved to a room with 2 double beds instead of 1 king bed since I had a friend visiting for the weekend. The staff was nice and accomodating and said it wouldn't be a problem at all, and therefore I was moved to a room in the main building. I could definitely say that the rooms in the Executive Tower are a little more roomy and a little more upgraded than the ones in the main building. For example, the main building seemed to have more kids running around at night and talking loudly in the hallways (and then instead of the kids, the drunk adults start later in the night). Also, the AC/heater units in the main building are noisier.

There was also an issue with cigarette smoke going through the vents and leaking into my room through the bathroom while I was in the main building. I was told by the staff however, that none of the rooms in the main building were smoking rooms (but I could DEFINITELY tell that there was smoking in the next room over, because it got to a point that my work clothes in the closet smelled a little bit like smoke after that day).

Upon moving back to a 1 king bed room, I wanted to see if I could get a room back in the Executive Tower. However, the staff at the front desk told me that it would be an additional charge per night since those are upgraded rooms. I told them that I had just moved FROM one of those rooms at the same rate, but they told me it was probably only because they didn't have other rooms available. Funny, because many of my other coworkers staying at the same hotel were staying in the Executive Tower with the same rate. While sometimes the staff can be accomodating, it's surprising the times that they can't be flexible at all, especially when I'm staying here for an entire month.

Overall, I would say that the rooms are not horrible, but I definitely expected better from this class of hotel, especially when the standard rate for these rooms are over $200 a night for weekdays (over $100 a night for weekends). These rates match the Hilton that's just right down the street from here, and I've had a much better experience at Hilton group hotels in the past. However, because this place has an agreement with the company for which I work, I'll have to stay here for another 2 weeks. If this weren't a business trip however, I would look elsewhere.

Room Tip: If the rate is the same for both room types (as I've noticed when booking from their website, so...
3 Thank flipsyde112
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 29 May 2012
Dear flipsyde112,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I stayed here for meetings in San Francisco and the East Bay area. Free parking and free wireless Internet are a plus. It's close to the freeway--and it can get noisy.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo, responded to this review, 25 May 2012
Dear mollybecky,

Thank you for your stay, and comments. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. Thank you again for your comments and we hope to have the honor of serving you again in the future.

Ben J
4.6 km away
Best Western Coyote Point Inn
4.3 km away
Holiday Inn San Mateo-San Francisco SFO

Been to Crowne Plaza Foster City - San Mateo? Share your experiences!