“Osmosis oasis”

Osmosis Day Spa Sanctuary
Ranked #1 of 5 things to do in Freestone
More attraction details
Owner description: Osmosis is a one of a kind spa retreat in the Northern California town of Freestone, on the historic Bohemian Highway just minutes from the Pacific coast. Nestled in countryside rich with world-class wineries, gourmet restaurants, artisan cheese makers, nature enthusiasts and so much more, this rejuvenation destination is central to everything Sonoma County has to offer. Osmosis features the unique Cedar Enzyme Bath deep-heat treatment, expert massage and a myriad of therapeutic facials using only the purest of natural ingredients. Before or after treatments, guests are welcome to enjoy the extensive meditation garden, famous for its authentic Japanese landscaping, beautiful pond and resplendent plant-life. Osmosis is also known for their wonderful spa boutique filled with hand-picked treasures, locally sourced as often as possible, and with the intention of supporting your lifestyle of wellness. As a founding member of the Green Spa Network, Osmosis strives to provide a total vitality center to the community, while maintaining a small carbon footprint and making ecologically sound choices.
Reviewed October 21, 2013

Arrived after a short haul from Petaluma, to receive tea and wait for our cedar bath. A hot box of fermenting cedar and fir shavings await, we step in to get buried by our sweet and attentive attendant. Moments later she returns with the cool hand towels delicately placed on forehead and nape of our necks, tepid water to sip as you melt into the molten earth. Very relaxing, we followed the bath with a 75 minute full body massage by the best body technicians I have ever encountered. By far the best bday present to date!

All reviews
"massage therapist"
"min massage"
"step outside"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this spa"
"relaxing massage"
"spa sanctuary"
in 3 reviews
"soothing music"

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I booked a romance package from Applewood Inn that included a 80 minute cedar enzyme bath at Osmosis Day Spa. After picking up a lavish picnic basket from Applewood, we had a short 1/2 hr drive to Osmosis. What a beautiful property they are located on! Started w/a nice tea service, our spa attendant Carona(sp?) was very nice, explained what we would be enjoying, got us set in cedar baths, brought in cold wash cloths & drinking water to keep us cool and hydrated. 20 mins is just the right amount of time for this treatment. We brushed off and took showers before being taken in to the soothing music/relaxation room. Our gourmet picnic lunch was brought out for us to enjoy on a private picnic table in the bamboo gardens. After filling up on lunch, we strolled through the hammock garden to rest and enjoy the beautiful warmth of the sun. Sat out in the meditation/zen garden that is truly completely ZEN! Had the most magnificent experience at Osmosis, thanks to Applewood! Can't wait to go back!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

4 stars for the actual cedar enzyme bath experience, everything else 3 stars.
The whole facility is a bit too small and feels cramped. Don't arrive too early. There is no decent waiting room, where you could relax in a soft bath robe and sip on some cucumber-infused water or green tea. They offered to wait either by shopping in their small shop or sitting outside in the garden area. Since we booked an evening session, sitting outside in the lower 50s temperature was too cold, so we had to browse through their store stuff for 20 minutes.
We changed in a small changing room with a bunch of lockers and were invited to wait in a small tea room, where the attendant told us about the treatment and answered all of our questions. She was informative and attentive.
The actual cedar bath was a very different experience and very enjoyable, however, I would not recommend it to someone who has heart problems, as it gets very hot and at some point I felt like I was going to pass out. The attendant does come in several times to wipe off the sweat with a cold towel and let you drink some water.
After the bath, we were given brushes to clean the wooden chips off our bodies in a patio area. It was outside and it felt too cold to be outside after a 120 degree cedar wood bath. Then we were told to shower in the adjacent shower room, which felt dated and run down and not very clean. After that we were taken to another section of the building, which involved walking outside again in a cold temperature, into the blanket wrap room. The blankets looked old and the overall experience was just ok. The attendant gave us the head phones to listen to the relaxation music, covered us with blankets and left us alone. We were supposed to be there for 30 minutes, but I think she forgot about us. After we were past our time, we got up and helped ourselves back to the building, where the changing room was. Since we didn't thank her or said good-bye before she left, we looked for her afterwards, which felt a bit strange.
Overall conclusion: I recommend the cedar wood bath, just for the experience, but don't expect too much out of this facility. The rooms are too small, the facility feels a bit run down and it's definitely not a luxurious spa experience, where you feel pampered. Pre/post-bath experience is nothing special and the shower rooms need some updating.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

This place was beautiful. The general setting and surroundings were lovely but once you got into the spa building, the smell and serenity hits you with an almost instant relaxed mind before you have even had any treatments.

The massage was excellent but the star treatment was the Cedar Enzyme bath. It's pretty intense but you feel incredible when you come out. The value of this place was excellent. It was a lot cheaper than some other spas in the area which in itself justified driving an hour from Sonoma to come to this place specifically. The staff are also very professional and courteous.

Overall it was an amazing experience for my girlfriend and I. If I didn't live thousands of miles away I'd be visiting this place every month. This was the perfect downtime for us after a week at Burning Man.

I'd recommend going for a package. We went for the Rejuvenation Package. It was great value for just $199.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have been to Osmosis a few times over the past several years, most recently August 31, 2013. I also visited in August of 2012. I really love this place. I usually do the enzyme bath and a massage in the pagodas by the creek. Recently they have added the "Field of Hammocks" which I also really enjoy now. The staff and service has always been timely, attentive and respectful. The grounds are beautiful. Everything is designed to to provide a peaceful, meditative environment.

The enzyme baths are a wonderful experience. You are escorted into a room with a view of a garden. You climb into a something that looks sort of like a raised plant bed that is full of their mix of soft natural fine sawdust like material. This naturally ferments and generates heat without and outside heat source.They dig out a little space for you to lie down and then cover your entire body up to you neck. It is like being buried in the warm sand at the beach when you were a kid only with lighter hotter sawdust-like material. You stay in the the bath for about 20 minutes or so. It is too hot to stay longer than that. The material forms to your body and you clean out your skin as you perspire. The attendant come in every few minutes to give you sips of cold water and to place cold wet rags on your face and brow. For me, it is just a wonderful relaxing experience.

You can pay extra to have your massage in the pagodas by the creek which I recommend. You can hear the wind in the trees, the birds,and the leaves falling gently on the roof of the pagoda. They have thrown in time in the hammock garden as part of specials the last two times I went. It is a nice way to finish the day.

The gardens and flowers arrangements throughout the property are really beautiful. Osmosis is a great splurge on a vacation or a once in a while treat for locals. I always feel happy, relaxed and energized at the end of the experience.