New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center

Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Fullerton
Marysville, Washington
“Once a nice property, but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012

Upon walking into the lobby, you can tell this was once a nice property, but, it now truly is a Howard Johnson...buyer beware. My daughter had purchased her vacation package here, and we decided that we wanted to be close to family, so purchased at the same hotel. This wouldn't have been my first (or my last pick). The rooms were below average, beds were okay, and the room size was small. Even though I had four children traveling with me, you think they would have given us adjoining rooms...no, but, they were next to each other on the same floor. The hotel's web-site indicates there is a restaurant on site -- not. The breakfast, is adequate, but is the same warmed over food day after day. Now, make sure that you are there before closing time, or you will get a lecture from the staff. They don't plan for the number of guests in the hotel, and if you are there anywhere near closing time, don't plan on feeding your family. Make sure you grab the towels out of your room when you go to the pool...no pool towels are available. The real "kicker" was when we came home from Disneyland on Saturday night...the breakfast area had been turned into a full fledged night club, complete with scantily clad women (not good when you are bringing in young children), loud music and a bouncer. Not a hotel that I would stay in again. No micro or fridge in the room.

Room Tip: Upper floor, well away from the breakfast area, which on weekends, turns into a full fledged night c...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank cariboukb
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
I'm sorry to hear about your experience.

Please let us know in advance if you prefer to be on the same floor. We try to our best to accommodate, but sometimes the room types are not available on the same floor, and it becomes even more difficult when people extend their stays and when we're at peak occupancy.

I have contacted the webmasters to remove the restaurant listing. We're within walking distance to many restaurants, grocery stores, and department stores to help you save even more money for your vacation including the famed In-N-Out.

Pictures of our breakfast can be found on our main website. I can assure you that we are one of the few hotels that offer a free, hot buffet breakfast.

Pool towels are available at the front desk.

NIGHT CLUB
We have a full events staff for our conference center that regularly holds weddings, birthday celebrations, church services, and community strengthening events, such as the Fullerton Mayor's Prayer Breakfast. I am constantly in search of ways that I can bring value to our local community because I view our hotel's mission to go beyond simple, tourist lodging.

The Night Club has been approved through local, county, and state agencies and has minimal impact toward your safety or noise levels in the rooms since the space for the night club is essentially in a different building than where the lodging rooms are located. We have adequate security and plan the night carefully to ensure that we remain a beneficial addition to the City of Fullerton and minimize impact toward hotel guests.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

We had called 2 weeks in advance to ask for a top floor room in the new tower. We had also asked if there was a microvwave and fridge (which they do not and will let you have one if they charge an extra $10each per night). We asked for the fridge so that the food can be stored and was willing to pay. We arrive late on Sunday evening and the reception who checked us in was going to put us on the third floor on the older tower and we had informed her that we had already made arrangements 2 weeks ago already. She said nothing was noted and when we further told her that we had spoken to a male person about this, he said everything was fine. It toke her 5 minutes to read the note before telling us that yes, there was a male that logged into our account, however, nothing was noted. She than said that she can give us the 7th floor in the new tower but no fridge or microwave. She also give breakfast vouchers for each of our stay. The room said 2 queen size beds, but it was more like 2 full size beds. We had 3 small kids that kept falling out of the beds because the beds were so small. The breakfast meal was our first and last meal at that hotel. It was mediocre to say the best and everything was shared (including butter and jam lef out, uncovered). Fruit was precut (not whole which is more hygenic). The shuttle only ran in the morning and again in the evening. It was not very convient when you need an afternoon break especially if you have little ones. We came back late on a Friday evening to find that they were hosting a night club. Luickily the noise did not travel. The greek statues was not appropriate for the hotel especially if you are trying to promote Disneyland and family to stay there. They had a huge convention that blocked the hallway to the new towers. We had to walk outside where there were people there as well.

Room:

Carpet was old and dirty.
Small
Not queen size bed, more like double or full

Breakfast:

Eggs with cut up sausages
Noodles
Pancakes
Cut up fruit

Shuttle

Only morning and evening.
Really should have an afternoon
15 minutes drive to Disneyland.

Hotel

Greek theme
Night Club
Convention
Big hotel
Nice Pool

Overall, we would pay extra and stay near Disneyland instead of this far out. The one good thing was there was alot of places to eat within walking distance and a Target nearby.

Room Tip: If you have kids, go to a hotel acroos from Disneyland! If you don't you can stay here. Stay a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Lisa C
JeffersonKim, Manager at Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, 4 April 2012
I appreciate the very thorough and fair review.

I apologize for the mix-up at the front desk. Pictures of breakfast and video room tours can be found on our main website.

All our rooms are 2 full size beds and we do not have any 2 queen size beds. If there's any place that states that, please let me know so that I can correct that information.

I urge customers before deciding to go to a hotel closer to Disneyland to consider ALL hidden costs such as: 17% tax rate, resort fees, parking fees, Internet fees, and breakfast costs. By staying with us, you'll find that we provide the most bang for your buck and can save you almost $80 per night.
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Service was okay. Rooms are small. Hallways need an update, it reminded me of the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. Traffic from the bar thats in the same parkinglot was annoying. Cops were there a couple times but they didnt bother me so who really cares.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Fullerton hotels

Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

Likes- The room was spacious enough for 2 queen bed. Everything was working well from hot water bath, tv, etc. Nearby, there were food and shopping malls. Staff were friendly and helpful. There were free shuttle bus ride to Disneyland every half an hour. A big Plus
Dislike-The decor were old . Need major upgrade.

Room Tip: Lower Floor are better as lift is slow
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

Small Lift to cater 55 rooms in each floor, Carpets are not clean. Outside sounds come in specially when near the exit door in ground floor. Room is however spacious with Good size Bed, Large space for clothes, Good mirror. Clean bathrrom. TV is the old big one.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

I must say, to start with the front desk staff I found to be very helpful right from the start. I arrived over 2hrs prior to check-in. I was greeted by a smiling staff member ready to assist me.
Now, if security is one of your main concerns I would say perhaps this is not the place for you. Every side entrance I tried from the outside parking lot did not have a working lock. The rooms were clean as was the bathrooms, however my wife did feel some damp spots on the carpet..not the greatest feeling I suppose? As far as the "complimentary" breakfast I would highly recommend skipping it and eating elsewhere. And now on to the complimentary shuttle service, my family and I used it 4 times since we only stayed 2 days. But the times we did we found it to be convenient, for the exception of one of the nights when they sent a small shuttle instead of there full size bus as they did the previous time. Overall, I say if value is your main concern you can do alot worse.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

Just leaving the hotel today, I have to give a big thank you. We were staying at another hotel across the street from Disneyland, and though it was convienient, it was terrible. We checked out and stayed at this hotel. By far it was so much better...and less expensive! The rooms were spacious and the beds were clean and VERY comfortable. The staff is helpful, the bar is nice if the adults want to relax. The shower pressure was great, though the tile in the shower should be upgraded. There is room service and breakfast in the morning. I had my own car and checked out before breakfast, but honestly, there is nothing to complain about! I will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a tower room, they have recently been upgraded.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fullerton
1.9 km away
0.2 km away
Quality Inn
Quality Inn
#84 of 117 in Anaheim

Been to Howard Johnson Fullerton Anaheim Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!