Review Highlights
Great place to go for a run or walk

I've been running the trails of this preserve since attending UCSB in the 80's. It's great to... read more

Reviewed June 20, 2018
Steve A
Saratoga, California
Monarch butterflies here from around November to February

I am a local and I have come here for many years. I always love coming to see the butterflies in... read more

Reviewed June 13, 2018
HappyTrails12345
Santa Barbara, California

All reviews monarch butterflies eucalyptus trees wings magical place minute walk the cliff warm winter day california coast bacara resort santa barbara monarchs february migration hundreds path preserve nature
Reviewed January 31, 2018 via mobile

We went to see these butterflies late in the afternoon to keep busy and increase our step count. We got to the right part of the grove and we saw lots of butterflies but they were all hanging together on the trees with their wings all closed up. I was told that it was too chilly to see a lot flying around. I would suggest going on a warm sunny day earlier than right before sundown.

1  Thank Nancy M
Reviewed January 22, 2018

This day trip is well worth the effort. The butterflies are incredible and the trails are beautiful for exploring a rugged part of the Santa Barbara coast.

Reviewed January 6, 2018

You half to walk probably a mile or so before you see anything. Lots of people go here, but I didn't see the attraction to the place. We only saw one butterfly the whole time we explored the coast and trees. Not impressed.

Reviewed December 13, 2017

We had a nice breakfast at our hotel and went for a leisurely stroll at the Butterfly Grove. It's very dry right now, but you can still see a few Monarchs fluttering by. the walk along the edge of the cliff gives you spectacular photo opportunities

Reviewed December 6, 2017

Hiked with family, friends and dogs throughout the grove. Peacefully quiet and a beautiful view of the beach once we left the eucalyptus grove. It was fascinating seeing all the butterflies as the daylight illuminated them as they fluttered amongst the trees.