and 1 more site!
Big Creek Meadow Ranch
Reviewed 6 September 2016

We stayed here for a night. Firstly, the check-in place and the ranch was 7 miles away. The room we stayed in was called "spruce" and was totally not clean. Bedsheets and comforters had hair in it, towels had musty smell and hairs. The place was full of cats (atleast 7-8) and even the rooms smell like cats! It is so expensive and totally not worth it. The bedsheets had holes in them and looks like they were bought at the thrift store. It is even hygienic to sleep on the roads than stay at this place.

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 January 2016

My fiance and I stayed here for 5 days while we were visiting Yosemite National Park in honor of our 5th anniversary. The staff were super friendly and helpful! We were arriving fairly late at night and planning to get up early the next morning to climb Half Dome, so they had two boxed breakfasts ready for us to take with us the next day. We had also forgotten to buy sandwich bags when we were buying supplies for our hike, and they were able to find us some and have them ready when we checked in, which was above and beyond the call of duty. It made the next morning much less stressful, and the Half Dome hike and the rest of the trip were a resounding success! It's a vacation we'll never forget because when we were on the top of Half Dome, he pulled out a ring and asked me to marry him!

The staff is very friendly and serves a delicious hot breakfast every morning back at their affiliated hotel in the main part of town. Free Wifi is a lifesaver since cellphone reception at the ranch is pretty much nonexistent. Obviously if you're expecting a 5 star hotel, this isn't the place, but the rooms are comfortable, have all the necessities, and it's a lot more off the beaten path than any of the places inside the actual park while still being convenient enough to serve as a home base while visiting the park. It's true the location is a bit isolated (as evidenced by the lack of cell reception) but you don't exactly come to Groveland to experience a big city with bustling nightlife anyway! The town is just a 10 or 15 minute drive away if you need anything.

Overall, we loved our stay here, would definitely come back if we ever visit the area again, and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone looking for a reasonably priced, comfortable, and less crowded place to stay while visiting Yosemite.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2015

This is a beautiful lodge in a very quiet location. It's surrounded by a working farm with cows, geese etc outside the back of the ranch. It's a lovely quiet place, perfect to relax in after a busy day in Yosemite. It's also pretty close to Groveland which has some good restaurants. There is no breakfast in the lodge. So you have to drive into Groveland where a lovely breakfast is provided at a B&B.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2015

We stayed here as part of our 3-weeks trip in the US. This was by far the worst experience we had. We had, like everybody else, to travel between the ranch and Groveland for about everything. Although when booking it says that check-in is possible until 22:00, we had to rush from Groveland to the ranch at around 18:00, or we risked not to get the keys... And then we met Ann and her many rules (which were accompanied by an inquisitive look as if she was speaking to a 6-year-old with scissors in his hands): Do not touch this, do not open that door, do not go there, do not use the kitchen, do this, do that... I am 30 years old and we paid good money for that room, I do not need to be treated like a teenager on a sleep-over. Also telling us not to talk to the neighbour was not providing the right holiday-mood. And then there was "breakfast": a lunch-pack (another childhood flashback) containing one cookie (which had expired a month ago), one yoghurt and an apple. Is that supposed to get me through the morning? Again, 30 years old, not 6! For the price we paid the room was not what you would expect; it was rather old (which would have been ok for an adequate price), not super-clean (there was a bug ironed onto my blanket) and rather small. I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.

Room Tip: Somewhere else
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J. Miguel R
Reviewed 9 July 2015

Comfortable, quiet, open space setting. Traveling alone, I wanted a cozy safe place to stay. Manager and staff at Big Creek Meadow Ranch did everything they could to make me fell welcome and cared for.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2015

The location is lovely, I enjoyed watching the moon come up over the mountains from the veranda at the back, while cuddly the farm cats who were reasonably friendly. House and room were clean and well kept, in a pleasant 'homely' style. The breakfast was nice and included cooked burger, ham and eggs, as well as fruit and toast or muffin.

2 things let the place down. Firstly the ridiculous check in process, having to go into a hotel in Groveland (6 miles away), with a very restricted check in window. We arrived in Groveland at noon, couldn't check in so we got some lunch and drive to Yosemite, which is over an hours drive away. We then had to cut our visit short to ensure we got back to Groveland for 6pm to check in. Bizarrely, we didn't even get our keys there, just did an ID check and I was given my credit card receipt (I'd paid when I booked, some 5 months in advance). I can see no reason why that couldn't have been done at Big Creek itself, with a much less restrictive timetable. (There were staff at Bug Creek when we arrived much later, having again eaten in Groveland).

Second issue was the wifi, which worked for about an hour after we got there, then went down and apparently couldn't be resurrected. From conversation with the staff, this appears to be a regular occurrence. The information on the accommodation should say that wifi **may be ** available. If like us you are visiting from abroad and decided not to pay huge sums to your phone company for roaming data, it's frustrating not to be able to log on through the wifi.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank LesleyAmazon
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Should have checked all reviews here before thinking about staying at Big Creek Meadow Ranch.

I looked at them, since they had something very close to Hwy 120 - meadows area where we were planning to be the next morning. I put in reservation information including my credit card and then saw that they have issues with late arrivals, so within 2 minutes of putting in my reservation request, I called the phone number listed on their website. I spoke with Debbie, who said she has not yet made the reservation. I asked her to not make the reservation. I also sent out an email to the email address listed on their site. I got no confirmation of reservation, I got no reply to my email - I assumed that the matter was settled.

We just received our credit card statement that shows a cancellation fee. When I called and spoke with the owner, the owner said to me that our policies clearly state that there is a cancellation fee.

One would understand a cancellation fee if there was a reservation made.

What about non-response to email?

We are in the year 2014 and we have come to expect clear and frequent communications with potential customers. FYI, the reservation was being made for a stay more than a month out.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple