Yosemite Westgate Lodge(Groveland)(Great Value!)
US$249
Travelocity
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
1,395 results
All reviewsthousand trailsfamily lodgemini golfhillside yurtfire ringgas stationfull hookupsgas grilltent campingenjoyed our stayping pongpark entrancegeneral storehetch hetchyyurtstomrv
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We went during one of the major power outage in the winter. They did call beforehand and warned us that the power may not be re-instated when we get there. Since we had already planned for the trip, we went anyways. They provided some candles for light and we brought our own lanterns as well. Power came back on second night. Can't find fault with anything there. It was clean and very appointed. Heating is propane. Amenities: Full kitchen with fridge, microwave, all utensils and cutlery, stove and oven, Bathroom with stand shower and toilet, queen size bed and a full futon, satellite tv, outdoor gas grill, picnic table and parking for 2 cars. The surrounding is really beautiful.

Drive to Yosemite entrance is only 5 minutes.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jawayi
Reviewed October 11, 2011

We loved our hillside yurt! This was my first trip to Yosemite so I really wanted it to be special. We booked the yurt at the last minute and were a little nervous but we were pleasantly surprised when we arrived. I agree with some of the other reviews that the beds were a little uncomfortable, but not a big deal. The gas grill was definitely dirty and unusable (there was no grill brush) so we had to cook our burgers on the stove top instead. Other than that we were very pleased and would highly recommend staying in a yurt. We will definitely stay here again. The drive to the valley is about 40 minutes but it is so beautiful it never bothered us, in fact we drove into the park 3 days in a row and never felt put out by the drive.

Room Tip: Yurt #15 had a great view off the porch.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank N1c_11
Reviewed June 15, 2011

We stayed in a meadow yurt, arriving the day after Memorial day to a mostly empty campground. No complaints here, although we were definitely expecting more of a crowd! At the check in, we encountered a friendly older lady who said she was new, so it wasn't the easiest transaction (she even forgot to give us the key to the yurt!), but we eventually got everything squared away. It wasn't cheap for the 2 nights, but compared to the many rental cabins we researched in the area, it seemed to be reasonable.

I was pleasantly suprised by the condition of the yurt. From the outside, it doesn't look like much, but going in we were met with a very clean and cute kitchen area, a nice sized living area, and a generously sized bathroom (bigger than the typical hotel room). There was a decent sized kitchen table with seating for 5, and all the plates, bowls, glasses, pots and pans, and utensils were provided. Because of the high sloping ceiling, the yurt had an open, airy feel. We stocked up on food at the grocery store in Groveland beforehand, which had limited options but was much better than the options at the gas station located at this campground. The bathroom in the yurt was also super clean, and towels are provided. It really exceeded my expectations. Contrary to the previous poster, I thought the beds were extremely comfortable, and I stayed on the top bunk! Could have been all the hiking we did in yosemite, though :) The one downside we had was the temperature control. It was fairly cold when we stayed there, and it was either too warm or too cold. Although there were settings (low-high), it seemed to output the same amount of heat regardless.

If you can afford it, the river and meadow yurts are nice as they are right by the river and also somewhat secluded from the main area of the campground. I'd also suggest making sure you stop for gas somewhere before Groveland, as they charge an insane amount of $$ per gallon! The drive into Yosemite valley is absolutely beautiful, and coming from a very flat state (Michigan), the entire area is something to enjoy.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
10  Thank kit264
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The yurt itself was clean, spacious, and very attractive. It has an attached deck with a gas grill (contrary to some other reviews, ours had a grill brush attached with a chain) and a fire pit. The bathroom is large, and there is good hot water. There were four adults staying in the 4-person yurt, but it seemed to be designed for two adults and two children. There were only two wine glasses, and the coffee pot was a small 4-cup unit. Luckily, all kitchen implements were clean, unlike some other places I have stayed with kitchenettes. The knives were dull, as usual. The heater was a gas-burning stove situated in the living area, controlled by a thermostat. It lent a cute rustic feel to the yurt, even though it was quite bright when it went on in the middle of the night, which bothered one of our party. There is a large skylight at the peak of the yurt which was great for letting light in, but it could easily bother you if you intend to try and sleep in. Be aware that even though the camp is located 5 miles from the park entrance, it will take you ~45 min to get to the valley.

Alas, not all was so nice. The sleeping accommodations are, quite simply, unacceptable. There is a full size bed and a futon, which doubles as seating in the living space. The futon mattress will remind everyone of that beat-up futon you regularly saw in college apartments. It wasn’t comfortable, but it was actually preferable to the bed, which was honestly the worst bed I have tried to sleep on in ages. The foundation/box springs under the mattress was too small, so the last 6 inches of one side of the bed hung off into air, and couldn’t be slept on. The ‘head’ of the bed was noticeably lower than the ‘foot’. After the second night on this bed I would have preferred to sleep on the hard wood floor on a sleeping pad than spend another night in the bed. I sleep better when I am tent camping than I did on this mattress. (in addition the pillows are very thin, and if you have room I would advise that you simply bring your own)

The stove is an electric two-burner unit (which looks quite beat-up for how new everything else appeared), and no matter how we fiddled with it, we couldn’t get both burners to work at the same time. There is no oven. I don’t know if it was the time of year, but the front desk was woefully unprepared for any requests. They couldn’t give us extra toilet paper or paper towels (one roll of each was in the unit when we arrived). They had no more lighters. (one was in our unit, but wasn’t lighting well, and the piezo-electric starter on the grill was broken) They didn’t have wood for sale, as the store was closed. (I’m not sure it was ever open. This was well before dark)

In general, aside from the bed, none of this should be a big deal for something that is basically a step above camping, but these yurts are marketed as having ‘resort style amenities’, and are normally priced as such. We purchased our nights as part of a Groupon deal, and saved more than 50% off the normal listed price. At that price my biggest complaint was the bed. If I had known how bad it was I would have packed an inflatable mattress. At regular prices, however, I would have been incredibly disappointed in the stove and the front desk as well. At regular rates you can stay in yosemite valley at the Yosemite lodge for the same price. I would probably return if I got another great deal, but not at their regular rates.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
6  Thank CAScientist
Reviewed February 4, 2011

Wood smoke is so harmful to health, those with existing diseases and those who are healthier, so we were very grateful to find a place to overnight that we could breathe air. Thank you Yosemite Lakes and Cabins for your no fire allowed policy!

Awesome grand scenary, very nice Yurts and Facilities well maintained and managed, clean water and the clean fresh air of nature. That is what RVing is about.!! We get enough toxic pollution in the city.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple