“Riverside yurt- Great Glamping!!”

Yosemite Lakes RV Resort
Reviewed 11 July 2010

I am totally not a camping person but we wanted to do something a little different as part of our trip to NoCal. We chose a riverside yurt and it was totally brilliant. The yurt itself was really fun, a huge round structure with loads of space for us and our two young children. It had heating and an A/C system and as a result there was none of that musty/dusty smell that you can get with these kind of things.

It was really fresh and clean, and bug and spider free. Bathroom was clean and perfectly adequate. The towels were clean and plentiful and the bed linen clean and fine too. Kitchen was good and there was a lovely gas grill on the deck overlooking the river. It was perfect to sit grilling steaks while the children paddled in the river.

The yurts are in a row along the river so you do have neighbours, so don't come expecting to feel like the only ones there- but there is enough space between yurts and we didn't find it a problem.
On one evening there was a band playing down by the RV/ tent area which was really fun and there was generally a nice atmosphere. We stayed only 2 nights and could quite happily have stayed longer. Our 4 and 6 year old said simply that it was the best place ever...!

One tip- make sure you stop and stock up on supplies in Groveland- we drove straight through thinking we could buy food for that evening's dinner at the shop on site. however, it closes at 4pm. We ended up having to drive back to Groveland (which was open till 9pm) after checking in- which isn't a big deal, but if you have spent all day in the car you don't want to have to drive off again.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
4  Thank travelmumatlanta
There are newer reviews for Yosemite Lakes RV Resort

Reviewed 1 July 2009

I chose to stay at the yurts here because of their proximity to Yosemite. For $170/night, I expected a comfortable bed. Apparently, you are paying for the location. It was mostly fine aside from the horrible bed, pillows, and linens, although the gas grill was too filthy to use. They have housekeeping do most of the cleaning, but you must do your own dishes and take the trash with you. They warn of a 'cleaning fee' if it's not left "as clean as you found it." Again, for $170 a night, I expected a little more.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BeeMartin123
Reviewed 26 June 2009

This was our fourth time being at this campground and we love it!! We always book the hillside yurt, close to the store and quiet and the hot tub is great!! We came in the winter one time and the yurt was cozy and warm and the snow was everywhere and the hot tub great. We are going back 6-27-09 and will enjoy each minute of it I'm sure. We love the yurts because the bathroom is right in the yurt with shower and towels provided. The kitchen has dishes, cups and glasses and pots and pans. No need to pack all these things, just unpack and go to Yosemite!!! It is better than a hotel and much more fun.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
2  Thank Disneydolly
Reviewed 17 September 2008

The hillside yurts at Yosemite Lakes are great - ours was incredibly clean, with good facilities and overall very comfortable. The only downside was that it was very cold at night, but extra blankets were provided which we made good use of! We visited Yosemite over the Labor Day weekend and there was nothing available in the park itself by the time we got round to booking accommodation. But the Yosemite Lakes site is literally a couple of miles from the Park entrance so you can be right in the heart of things within about 40 minutes (and who minds driving when the views are so spectacular).

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanna033
Reviewed 28 May 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Yosemite Lakes Yurts the weekend before Memorial day and had a fabulous time. We booked one of the hillside Yurts because they allow dogs and we wanted to bring our puppy with us. After we booked the Yurt we came to tripadvisor.com and read some bad reviews about the camping area, although the yurts were highly rated. I must say that we do not have a bad thing to say about the area. Our Yurt was extremely clean, fully loaded with anything you would need to make a meal in its lovely kitchen, had AC and had a heater. We couldn't have been more impressed with the lovely accomodations. The Yurts are a little close together, however we felt like we were the only ones there(they do a very good job of positioning the patio decks and picnic tables away from the other yurts decks and tables). We spent one day at Yosemite National Forest, the entrance is only 5 miles away, and one full day at Yosemite Lakes. FYI- We are camping people and obviously love the outdoors, if you do not like to camp, you may not like it here!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank kritabug777
Reviewed 18 August 2007

From the moment that we arrived, this trip was doomed to be terrible. When we checked in, we were informed that the restroom was out of order and that we would have to use the porta-potties for the duration of our trip. We were then told that the porta-potties were "full" and we should walk 1/2 mile to the closest bathroom. When we arrived at our cabin, someone was trying to get the restroom pump working, but ended up spewing raw sewage down the hill, sending a wave of nauseating fumes all over the campsite. Ughhh... this scene repeated itself several times before we had the pleasure of checking out. As for the cabin itself, it had trash in it when we arrived, and more spiders than you could shake a stick at. All of this for $80.00 a night? I could have stayed at a motel for that much and still had money left over for dinner instead of having to cook it myself. Needless to say, we will not be returning here any time soon! Stay in El Portal, but not here.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Room30
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We stayed at this campground last week & were disappointed. The location is great, just a few minutes from the west gate of Yosemite. Most campers get up early to go into the national park & then come back in the evening. This is part of a private resort and tent campers are not allowed in most areas, including the beach area, meadow, playground.

The area for tent campers was too crowded. The web site promises a campsite with space for 4 people, 2 tents, & a car. We had one tent, one car. I had to park my car about 5 feet from our tent door. My neighbor's car was parked right next to my car. My other neighbor's picnic table was about 5 feet from the back of our tent and their tent was set up about 10 feet away. Every site has a small street light which made it hard for me to sleep at night. My neighbors weren't noisy, but we could hear everything that they said & did. I didn't realize how tense I was until one of the sites next to us was empty & it suddenly got a lot quieter. The closest trash (not counting the shower) was up a steep hill 1/2 mile away at the gas station for the resort. One employee warned against using the trails since they hadn't been maintained in a few years & we could lose the trail. We ate one meal in the car because of the wasps.

One reason I picked this park was because it offered flush toilets and hot showers. The showers were locked from 10 pm to 8 am and the flush toilets inside were completely blocked off so they could not be used. Because the showers were locked at night, there were no sinks, no mirrors available (this upset my teenagers a lot). The campground provided chemical toilets for the tent campers. The toilets were pitch black at night. On Friday I saw the same trash on the floor of the shower as I did on Monday.

I've been a camper all of my life & this was the first time I found myself being so annoyed while camping. My vacation days with my kids are precious to me & I found myself apologizing over & over for taking them to such a bad place to camp.

Stayed: August 2007
8  Thank Susan019
Also consider these accommodations in or near Groveland
10.6 km away
25.2 km away
Hotel Charlotte
Hotel Charlotte
#3 of 7 in Groveland

Been to Yosemite Lakes RV Resort? Share your experiences!