“Was not sure what to expect from other mixed reviews, but this is a skip it for me.”

Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Grover Beach
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We ended up getting this hotel through Hotwire.com. I was disappointed because I was looking for a hotel in Shell Beach or Pismo Beach and we ended up getting this hotel that was right off the freeway exit in Grover Beach. I believe it was listed at 3 or 3.5 stars and I don't think that is accurate.

The staff was nice and friendly and the chocolate chip cookies at check in were yummy, but that is about where the positive experience ends.

Pros:
- Close to freeway and other conveniences (food, drugstores, gas stations, etc.)
- The rooms were decently clean
- The offer breakfast in the AM. The bagels, yogurt and coffee were good, but the rest is a little bit like airline food.

Cons:
- The hotel is noisy. The construction is older and there does not seem to be an insulation between floors. I think the people in the room above us had kids that were running around their room instead of outside. It was like a heard of elephants banging on our ceiling. Not exactly peaceful or restful.
- The beds were not comfortable and the springs squeeked and creaked.
- The only AC was the old boxes in the wall and this one looked like it had been there since the 70's. It BARELY worked and was loud and would freeze up after being on for only an hour or so. We were on the ground floor, so I didn't want to leave the windows open and the AC did not cool the room down enough to sleep.
- The toilet was constantly running and everything else in the room buzzed or made noise, the flourescent lights, etc.

The price was good for the area, but I would have rather paid more and actually gotten some sleep.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor to avoid noise above you.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Tucson, Arizona
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 2,279 helpful votes
Reviewed 24 July 2011

We stayed here for three nights in high summer season and found the staff to be extremely friendly and helpful, despite what looked like a full house. Our good-sized, clean room had a comfortable bed but older pillows that gave little support. We liked having free wifi, a refrigerator, an iron/ironing board, free parking and good lighting.

Alas, we often heard jarring footsteps overhead and traffic noise from nearby highway 101. The room had a dated look with an old-fashioned TV set, inexpensive carpeting, furniture with nicks and scrapes and marks on the lower portion of the walls.The bath tub drained extremely slowly, so even a quick shower led to substantial water sitting in the tub.

The first morning we went to breakfast at 9 a.m. and found the sitting area by the ample buffet to be too small for the number of guests. We sat, jammed into the area, eating off of paper plates with plastic utensils. The next two mornings we went earlier and the smaller number of guests there made breakfast much more enjoyable.

We decided on this hotel, because its cost was much more affordable than many other hotels in the area. None of the drawbacks were enough to send us elsewhere and we certainly had an OK stay.

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Colorado
Reviewed 12 July 2011

My two children and my parents and I stayed here in March. We loved it the rooms where clean, comfortable, and quiet. The breakfast is wonderful, and views while you eat are awsome! The beach is just down the road from the hotel which made it super convient for us! The acess to HWY 1 is great, you hop on and away you go. Even though we were here in March the pool was great! It is heated and provided hours of fun for myself and my kidos!!
I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, dont't worry you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
San Jose, California
Reviewed 11 July 2011

I drove down from San Jose, CA and my cousin up from Ventura, Ca. We stayed a Saturday and Sunday. Michelle at the front desk was a "kick" and we had a very nice chat while I checked in. Our room was nice and clean. We went to Pismo and to some fun thrift stores that Michelle recommended. The breakfast in the mornings was to die for. I have never seen a machine make two perfect pancakes in 1 minute, warm cinnamon rolls, eggs, sausage, bisquits and gravy, yougurt, breads, bagels and cream cheese, cereal and more. I will go back there the next time I am in the area.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2011

Excellent service. Rooms with granite counter tops, flat screen tv, cable, comfortable beds, mini fridge, balcony, pool, near freeway, directly behind steakhouse/saloon and complimentary continental breakfast. Reasonable price. Definitely would stay again and again. I am also a member so check out is 2pm.

• Stayed July 2011
Wayne, ME
Reviewed 6 July 2011

My family stayed 1 night here during our 2 week tour of California. What a wonderful place! After a week our bus tours, hiking tours and questionable "mountain resorts", what a pleasure it was when we stepped into our room.

Staff is pleasant, happy and helpful - always a smile. Breakfast was great. Room was beautiful! It was large, clean and beds extremely comfortable.

My only regret is that I don't live closer so I could visit again!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank SusanB21
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 8 July 2011
On behalf of the staff and management we want to thank you for your kind words and for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach. We also hope that the rest of your trip went wonderfully and we hope to see you again!
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We got this hotel on Priceline after selecting Pismo Beach, but somehow ended up here. There's not much around the hotel area, so we had to drive elsewhere every time we wanted to go out.

Our room was in the basement and both rooms next to us had the loudest kids ever, screaming at all hours of the day and night. I guess if you're traveling with a bunch of kids, this place is ok. Otherwise, keep looking! The beds were extremely uncomfortable as well, so we were very glad to only spend one night here!

Overall, I wouldn't recommend it unless you're traveling with kids which it appears everyone except us was doing.

Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank OceanLove3
CentralCoastGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area, responded to this review, 21 June 2011
I am sorry to hear of your experience while staying with us over the Pismo Car Show weekend (June 17 & 18), a very popular weekend, which included Fathers Day. YES, we have many families that stay with us due to our proximity to many area attractions, although TRUE there is only a one great restaurant (AJ Spurs) with-in walking distance of the hotel (adjacent to hotel parking lot). We pride ourselves on being guest orientated and do our best to respond to guest issues, possibly had you brought your situation to our attention we may have been able to relocate you to a quieter location with-in the hotel. We do not have a basement, although I believe that you were located on the first floor of one of our more popular buildings as it has larger size rooms and a view of the rolling hill sides from the balconies. We appreciate your comments and reviews, it is our goal to review all responses to see in what areas and services we can improve, as we are always working diligently to see that ALL guest have a Great Stay.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grover Beach
Oxford Suites Pismo Beach
#10 of 29 in Pismo Beach
0.6 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Arroyo Grande/Pismo Beach Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express Grover Beach-Pismo Beach Area? Share your experiences!