“Satisfying, not spectacular”
Review of Mezza Luna

Mezza Luna
Reserve with OpenTable
Mezza Luna is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 103 Restaurants in Half Moon Bay
Price range: US$10 - US$40
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Groups, Romantic, View, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Capistrano
Transit: Samtrans
Description: Mezzaluna Restaurant is located in the historic Princeton Landing building (which was built in 1908). The harbor town of Princeton By The Sea is located 20 miles south of San Francisco. In this scenic area of Half Moon Bay, which overlooks the Pacific Ocean, you can experience breathtaking coastal views and marvel at the giants waves of Mavericks surf spot. We provide nothing but the highest quality of meat, fish, produce, pasta and local fresh ingredients. Mezzaluna is continually awarded as Best Restaurant on the Coast and Best Customer Service. In 2012, Mezza Luna was awarded "Favorite Italian Restaurant" and in 2013 awarded "Favorite Overall Restaurant" and "Favorite Italian Restaurant" by the coastside community and the readers of the Half Moon Bay Review. In 2014 Mezza Luna was awarded by Open Table the "Dinners Choice Award". But it doesn't take an award to prove the quality and consistency of the great food, service and wine... You must experience it for yourself.
Reviewed July 27, 2017

Based on the stellar reviews, my son and I gave Mezza Luna a go last evening. My son ordered the lasagna and I the veal piccata. The food was good, but not exceptional. I found the veal was tender with mild flavor. The lasagna had more pasta than average and less meat; the flavor was heavy with anise but pleasant. I asked the waiter to pair a glass of house wine to my meal... ummm, he brought me a very ordinary pinot grigio.... hmmm, well okay.

The wait staff left a lot to be desired. I do believe that our waiter could not have cared less. From not filling the water glass (over 30 min empty) until he finally checked in and I had to ask for more water, to the general "couldn't give a ....hoot" attitude. I asked him about recommendations from the menu and got a generic - "everything's good, so order anything"; I pushed and asked what are the most popular and he treated me like I was an extreme bother. I won't be back.

Reviewed July 16, 2017

We had dinner with family at Mezza Luna. It was our first visit to this restaurant and we were extremely impressed with the quality of foods and service at this restaurant. The antipasti, pasta dishes, entrees, pizza and dessert were all excellent...most notably, the 'Lasagna alla Bolognese' was done to perfection, and the 'Fettucine alla Russo' was also excellent! We really enjoyed our great experience at this restaurant. We took a walk down the coast after dinner and found that was extremely pleasant!

Reviewed July 6, 2017 via mobile

Excellent food, as both of our dishes were quite tasty. My husband got a margarita pizza and I got a salad with salmon. Nice atmosphere, quiet with gorgeous views! Staff very friendly!!

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

First timers at Mezza Luna. Got seated right away with open table reservations. Much bigger place than we thought. Enjoyed bruschetta and cocktails before dinner. Both very happy with our entrees. Awesome fresh sourdough. Service was very good. Reasonable prices. Glad we finally tried the place. We will return.

Reviewed July 5, 2017

We came during our anniversary trip, and had a nice meal. The sourdough bread to start was great. We got the meatball appetizer, and it was so flavorful! The sauce was awesome, and the meatballs were great. We also shared the lasagne, which was very similar in flavors, and delicious. Service was good.