“Chinese delicious-ness”
Review of Chubby Rice

Chubby Rice
Ranked #12 of 135 Restaurants in Hawthorne
Reviewed May 8, 2017

I haven't been in the neighborhood for a few months (long story). Since I was, there was no way I was going to miss this opportunity. After a great greeting from the owners (I can't believe they remembered me) I ordered some Chubby E's to go. Then I decided to take a moment a smell the roses (in other words, don't rush thru the day) relax and have lunch. Best move I made in awhile. So I tried the S&P Calamari with white rice. Simple and delish. Perfectly seasoned, immaculately fried, not greasy oh and no 2" batter on the squid. YUM... So G o o d. I can't wait till the next time. I'm going to old school it and try the Egg Foo Young. If you are in the vicinity.. get ye to "Chubby Rice". And if you can try Grub Hub. I added some Chubby wings to the take home Egg Rolls and they were crisp and perfect. So there fried food travels well. Most places, regardless of the cuisine do not wrap fried foods well. Everything gets soggy. Not at Chubby Rice. They're simply putting out some of the best Chinese food in a 30 mile radius. Added plus is the Chubby Rice team is Great!

Reviewed November 9, 2016

Hubby and I finally tried Chubby Rice and we liked it! Food takes a little longer to come out because they are making it after you order it. WIll surely come back soon. Owner was very friendly and explain to us that this was a Chinese Fusion restaurant.

1  Thank teachlove21
Reviewed October 4, 2016

I have been so sad since losing the only home-style chinese food in Manhattan Beach--Stir Fry Grill. After trying so many blah so-so overpriced "chinese" food joints--CHUBBY RICE has come to save the day. The menu may be small-ish but the food is what you want when you are looking for a yummy lunch or dinner to fill your belly and your soul.
THe egg rolls are just like my mother-in-law's. Tasty ground pork lightly seasoned and rolled up in a perfectly crispy and toothsome wrapper. The house-made sauces are a fantastic accompaniment to the main event.
We had General Tso's Chicken which LA Eater touts as "the best in LA"; it was good. We had broccoli beef, and tofu stir fry.
The sides of fried rice, chow mein, and steamed veggies were all fresh and delicious.
I will definitely be back to try the soup, eggplant and other tasty sounding items. I am likely even going to try the crab rangoon.
THE PORK CHOP SANDWICH IS MY NEXT FOOD TARGET
Excited for this to become my new go-to. See you there.

1  Thank clownis
Reviewed August 29, 2016 via mobile

I have read several good opinions about this place on yelp and as I was craving chinese food I made my family to go there. We had General Tso's chicken, crab rangoon, fried dumplings. Everything was spectacular! The only thing I did not enjoy was the sour soup, next time I will take salad instead. The guy behind the counter (the owner?) was ever so nice as well. And the prices were great (around 40 usd for four of us). Fantastic find before your flight from LAX.

2  Thank marcekpl
Reviewed May 9, 2016

Lucky.... I was reading my Eater-LA blog and came across an article on this find in Hawthorne. It lead with an description of Chubby Rice's General Tso's Chicken. I live in LA now but I am a NYC native. New Yorkers know there way around cuisine (well at least us 5 borough city folks do). .So what caught my attention was the GTC description. It took me back in the day of when I would meet my mom after work at this Sichuan Chinese restaurant for dinner in midtown. We would have a dish called General Tso's chicken, that was back in the 1980's. I distinctly remembered how much I loved that dish. I have not had anything close since. Out here in SoCal they cover it in sweet sticky sauce. You can't taste the chicken at all. It's almost like they are just camouflaging old dried up chicken, absolutely B L A H... So fast forward to 2016 May 7th. This foodie article in my inbox peaked my curiosity. It made my mouth water & reminisce and basically got me all foodie worked up. And it's Mother's day weekend and my mom was going to be in town ! Perfect..... So after reading the article a few times while keeping the drool in my mouth.. I quickly typed in the address into my trusty iPhone to locate this peace of heaven. And it just gets better. It is located a few blocks from LAAFB. A place I visit at least every two weeks (I live mid city). Perfect, the stars are aligning. So the location of Chubby Rice was mapped out, the business hours were known, my errands would be finished right after they opened, I would not eat anything prior to lunch.. check, check, check and check. I told my mom about my find Friday evening and suggested she eat light the next morning. So we found the place... A small simple strip mall on Inglewood ave. We parked out front and walked in. On entry, one of the owners gave us a big genuine cheerful, warm hearted greeting (major points there)... Sometimes it's just the little things. Ok, so he explained a few things on the menu while my eye's darted all around it. Being the foodie I am, I had already studied the menu 2 days prior. It was clear what I wanted to start with. So we ordered 6 dishes for the two of us knowing that we would have take home to nosh later on. Some of the dishes we tried for our 1st visit were :
1. Chubby egg rolls - a real NYC egg roll.. absolutely D E L I S H
2. Chubby wings - fried perfectly and light..absolutely D E L I S H
3. General Tso Chicken - exquisite, flavorful, light, aromatic,
precise, D E L I S H
4. Salt & Pepper Calamari - aromatic, D E L I S H
5. Pan Fried dumplings - filled w\pork, non-greasy...... yassssss
6. House Fried Rice - D E L I S H

This is a rare find and I am so glad I got to enjoy it the first time with my mom on her visit to Los Angeles (good memories). If you love good Chinese food, prepared fresh, precise and with skill Chubby Rice is must do. I cannot wait until next weekend to return to try a few more dishes. If your in the vicinity drop by won't regret it. If you live in the neighborhood, lucky you, very, very lucky U...
Thank you Chubby Rice, I/we will see you again and S O O N !

delish