“This is the best for first-timers- great river segment, service, and lots of fun”

Russian River Adventures (SOAR Inflatables)
Book In Advance
More Info
US$45.00*
and up
Russian River Canoe Trip from Healdsburg
Ranked #65 of 155 things to do in Healdsburg
More attraction details
Owner description: This tour company offers guided canoe and rafting tours, priced at $45/adult and $22/child under 12.
Alameda, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

Russian River Adventures (RRA) was outstanding in every way. My 9-yr old son and I went up on a Sunday, and were able to get a reservation the day before. The car return (they drove it down to the dropoff point) was free, unlike most other outfitters, which charge for this). The safety briefing was informative, fun, and not overly long. The vessels themselves - SOAR inflatable kayaks- are lightweight - which is good in terms of propulsion power, but challenging in terms of maintaining your tact- you can't row once and stay straight as you can in an ocean-going plastic kayak, but each stroke requires less force.

This segment of the river - Healdsburg to Woechler Bridge - is FAR SUPERIOR to the Forestville-Guerneville segment - the latter is noisy, has speedboats, and is littered with rusting human structures. This segment is structure-free, and much quieter - also, it seems like fewer outfitters operate on this segment.

My son and I really enjoyed therope swing at the 4-mile (halfway) point, and had a wonderful peaceful day out on the river.

3 Thank Anthrospeak

Hartford, Connecticut
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 205 helpful votes
“great family fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2009

There are very few places left where you can go down 8 miles of river and not see anyone or anything commercial...and this is one of them! It does take a bit of upper body work to paddle down river...but well worth it. Great people make your day special.

2 Thank joel r
St. Louis, MO
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Our favorite side trip!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2009

We live in Missouri, and have visited San Francisco on 4 different occassions. The second time we went, I did some research and found Russian River Adventures. Turns out, Larry, the owner is from St. Louis. So we had something in common with him! We had a great time our first trip. We paid to have lunch provided since we were travelling from out of state and didn't have a cooler or anything.
So, our next trip out, we had to go again. This time we packed our own lunches and borrowed one of Larry's coolers.
We were just out there again last week and again we had a wonderful time. We brought a soft sided cooler with us and it was the perfect size.

We have never had any issues on the river before, but we usually go later in the year after the river is dammed and it's usually deeper, and a bit slower. This time, it was shallower and some of the bends in the river had a faster current. We did great till the end. We hit a submerged tree, and I fell out of the boat. I banged my shins up a bit, but no harm done.
I plan on taking my children out there with me when they are a bit older, and I would feel completely comfortable with them on the trip with us, but I would make them wear life vests because some spots to get pretty deep.

We have never had a bad experience with Russian River Adventures. Larry is a great guy! I definitely recommend this for anyone staying in the Napa Valley/Sonoma County area. It's just a short drive over. We usually do this after we leave Napa, and are planning to head back to San Francisco.

San Mateo, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Russian River Canoe Adventure - fun and relaxing!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

I just took my family of four on a 5 hour canoe adventure down the Russian River. It was a lot of fun and would recommend it to anyone; especially beginners. It was our first time ever and we made it through without any problem at all. You can get away from the city and there are hardly any man-made things along the way. Just birds chirping and the sound of the Russian River flowing.

We booked a canoe at Russian River Adventures.
[--]

It was 45 dollars for adults and 22 for kids under 12. Our family was able to fit 2 adults and 2 small children comfortably.
Here's the summary:
1. You meet at Healdsburg a bit before 10AM
2. You walk 5 minutes to the river and get on your canoe after a short introduction.
3. After about 4-5 hours, you reach the destination where they pick you up and drive you back to your car.
4. You do need to paddle about two thirds of the time, but the river is very gentle and should be no problem for beginners.

We bought sandwiches at the Oakville Grocery and packed some drinks in our cooler. We had lunch along the way. Very relaxing. The kids swam in the river too and saw many turtles hanging out on the branches on the banks. On occasion, you would hit a tree or a branch but nothing to panic about. You can usually just get off the canoe and pull it through the difficult sections. Kids require life vests, but tipping over seems to be a very rare occurance. The relatively tricky areas are marked and groups with small children were recommended to pull the canoe through these areas.
They give you a dry bag to keep your belongings dry. Just bring food, drinks, sunscreen and a hat.

Highly recommended!