“Interesting!”

Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in Huntington Beach
Colorado & Mongolia
“Interesting!”
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We stayed 2 nights in Feb and were pleased. The premises and rooms are hip, clean, and well, fun. The bedding was wonderful--the bathroom, too (lovely toiletry items)! The onsite restaurant gets rave reviews; however, we stopped in for lunch and found the service really slow, the food was good but pricey. Breakfast is not included, but there are several great local options. The reception staff was very friendly and helpful--the girl behind the desk insisted on helping us schlep our bags down to curbside! The location is stellar--just a short walk to the waterfront and pier. One caution: internet access does not come cheap! $10 per day per device; yikes. Overall, very pleased--the memories make us smile

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Dear Nestless,

Thank you for the gracious comments and honest feedback regarding your experience here at Shorebreak. We are always srtiving to do better. It was nice to know you had a great time and I will be sure to share your comments with the staff.

I will be taking your feedback about the restaurant and cost of internet back to my team and try and re-evaluate things. In the meantime, the next time you come make sure to sign up for the "Joy of Life" Club, which is Joie De Vivre's frequent guest program. That will ensure you get free internet every time you stay with us or any other Joie De Vivre Hotel.

Thank you so much for the review.

Assistant General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Moose Jaw, Canada
Reviewed 9 March 2012

The only complaint I had with this hotelis that I couldn't stay there longer! Great room, amazing bathroom. Staff was outstanding and genuinely friendly. Location was unbeatable. We loved Huntington Beach and the Shorebreak Hotel. Hope to stay there again this summer.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear MJ10SGUY,

Thanks for the Shorebreak "Shout Out". Although your review is short, your words were more than valuable motivation for our staff. Next time you stay, make sure to stay longer. We appreciate the kind words regarding the hotel. it is our goal for every guest to feel this way when they leave.

Thanks Again,

Trabuco Canyon, California
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I have stayed at the Shorebreak several times and it is the best hotel in Huntington Beach. It is in the heart of downtown which makes it so easy to walk to shops and restaurants. We have tried hotels in Newport Beach as well, but nothing compares to the Shorebreak if you enjoy beach life and the ability to walk to your destinations. If you like to bike ride, they have bike racks on the first floor. The service is excellent and the rooms are very nice and clean. I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2012
Dear Christine T,

Just wanted to send out a quick thank you for the wonderful review of our hotel. We know the key to having any successful business is to have repeat customers. Thank you for supporting our efforts. Don't be a stranger and come see us again.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We spent 1 night in this hotel and it almost ruined our entire 3 day weekend. Yes this hotel has a good location, modern design, and clean rooms, but what it also has is noise. LOTS and LOTS of noise. Our first room, was large, clean, and had a view of the ocean. Unfortunately it was on the 2nd floor, which meant it also had all the noise from the street. It was so loud that we couldn't hear our T.V. After 30 minutes, we couldn't take it anymore. We complained and were given a "different" room. The "new" room was extremely small with a smaller bed, and a view of their courtyard, which also meant all the noise of the courtyard, music, people laughing, talking, and BARKING dogs. I love dogs, but I don't want to hear them all night long. By 3 a.m. I was so exhausted I was in tears. Complaining did nothing to solve the problem. When I checked out, I was told that there must have been a mix up with our reservations, and that they took complaints "seriously" and that a manager would call me. It's been over a week, and I haven't even gotten an email. Thank goodness, we only booked one night there. We spent the rest of our weekend at The Island Hotel in Newport Beach which was a perfect 5 star experience, and cost less!

Room Tip: Pick a different hotel and you should be fine. But if you can't, maybe rooms on the higher floo...
3 Thank HelloVegasSunshine
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Dear HelloVegasSunshine,

I just had a chance to read the review regarding your noisy experience here at Shorebreak. Please accept my sincere apology regarding the noise issues, but mostly for the lack of follow up from our staff. I am typically the person who gets any communications regarding guest challenges. I am not sure where the communication break down occured. I am embarrassed at the fact that no one has gotten back to you. I take it personally when a guest had a bad experience with us and am eager to make up for it. If you have the time in the near future, please reach out to me directly. I would love to speak with you and get this resolved. These reviews are very helpful and I would like to get some more detailed information regarding the noise issues and the employees you dealt with during your stay. I sure hope to hear from you soon.

Sincere apologies,

Asssistant General Manager
Temecula, CA
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Shorebreak is a great getaway. Our waterfront room was delightful - cozy & comfortable. Their restaurant, Zahala, featured excellent cuisine: we enjoyed dinner & breakfast there. The courtyard with fire pits was really nice too. The location - right across the street was wonderful. Once the car was valet parked - we walked everywhere! We were somewhat concerned that it was a 'pet-friendly' hotel because we have allergies to pets. We mentioned it at the time of reservation & they made sure that the room was deep cleaned & we had no problems. The staff was incredibly accommodating -helpful above & beyond the call of duty. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 27 February 2012
Dear CAChochip,

Just wanted to take a moment and express my appreciation for the wonderful comments about our hotel and Zimzala. It was nice to hear that you had a great time with us and that you would consider us again. If you liked our hotel, be sure to check out JDVHotels.com and try one of our other hotels throughout the west coast.

Thanks again,

Denver
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Stayed at the Shorebreak for two nights, mainly for business. Fun hotel; great design - California modern. Location was easy for beach, restaurant and shopping. Busy happy hour, and the restaurant was the best I've had in a hotel in years. Would love to go back next week!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
To fiso1234,

We appreciate the wonderful review you submitted regarding your experience here at Shorebreak and Zimzala. I would agree with your comment about our restaurant. It is one of the best restaurant in Orange County. Thank you for recognizing it.

Irvine
Reviewed 13 February 2012

Purchased my voucher from Spreebird and paid $169 plus $28 tax a while ago and finally used it before expiration date. Checked in on Sat (2/11/12) for one night stay. At check in, we were told that the hotel will be conducting complimentary wine tastings betweens 5 to 6 pm. We were excited. We had 2 glass of red wine and had a great time. My friend suggested that we tried a glass of white wine before we headed to dinner so we went back in line. The lady who served the wine had no problem pouring the white wine to my friend (caucasian) but refused to serve me (asian) the white me accusing me that I have exceeded 2 glass limit (I did not see any signs stating the limit anywhere). Our problem, we have always gone to her together for our 1st and 2nd glass, why would she pour another glass to my friend but not to me is beyond me. The embarrasment I had was unmeasurable. I even tried to talk her into giving an exception (to save my face) since I was already holding the glass in front of many guests. I could not believe that she would disregard the courtesy and asked me to move forward. i would not even mind paying $20 (if I could) at that time just to save my face. She has sucessfully ruined my otherwise nice evening. I (and all my family and friends) would definitely not return to this hotel because of this bias treatment and bad customer service. I have been to so many complimentary wine tasting event at bouique hotels but never experience something like this. Very sad that a nice hotel such as Shorebreak would not train customer service to its staff. I hope management would take necessary actions to repeat this treatment to other guests.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank 167Eric
pfrechette42, Manager at Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear 167Eric,

I just got done reviewing your comments regarding the situation during our "Wine Hour" on Saturday night. Please accept my humble apology if you were under the assumption that we were being "bias". Please understand that our "Wine Hour" is very popular with our guests. This past weekend, we had between 50 and 100 people attend the event. As you are well aware of, we have a strict policy only allowing guests to have two glasses of wine during the tasting. Due to this event being complimentary to all guests with a room here at the Hotel, we have to control the distribution of the wine so we do not get accused of over-pouring. After speaking with the manager assigned to "Wine Hour" that night, this is honestly a case of recognition. There were several other guests she did not allow another pour to because they had reached their 2 glass limit. With that many people at the event, she must not had recognized your friend and poured he/she a third glass. At no time did our employee mean to be bias or favorable. In fact, she has been with the hotel since we opened three years ago is one of the nicest people you will ever meet. She was able to read your comments this morning and immediately came to me to let me know how devestated and embarrassed she was. She wants me to let you know how sorry she is regarding the situation.

I would encourage you to contact myself or the General Manager immediately if you have additional questions, as we are not taking this situation lightly.

Sincere apologies,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Huntington Beach
1.4 km away
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach Resort & Spa
Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach R...
#1 of 21 in Huntington Beach
23.8 km away
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#4 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Kimpton Shorebreak Hotel? Share your experiences!