“Never again!”

Ranked #15 of 16 Hotels in Indio
Oyama
“Never again!”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We arrived before check-in time , hoping to get in early after being on the road since early morning! No way...no exceptions! So we went on our way , trying to kill time . We returned after dark and were checked in by a man who simply gave me the keys and said " Your room is on the pool side... And... The elevator is over there.". No map, no directions as to where to park. Nothing. And it was dark outside and we had no idea where the poolside was. We finally found our room, then due to some strange combination of light switches, we could get no lighting. Finally, my husband found the magic formula and we had light.

The room was okay.. Clean, but poorly painted. The walls were very thin..I could hear the telephone conversation in the room next door. The sheets were thin and not fitted, so they came loose.

Breakfast was a joke! No fruit. A roll of paper towel instead of napkins. A big jar of jam and peanut butter to be used by all. There were some individual jams, but they were totally dried out and unspreadable.

The sign leading to the motel has graffiti on it and made us wonder if the motel was actually still there. All in all, this place needs a major face-lift and the staff need training.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Irene E
indioman, General Manager at Super 8 Indio, responded to this review, 1 December 2013
Thank you for raking a time review us. We do serve a free breakfast which is 8 items, including 2 cereal, waffles, cinnamon roles, white and whole wheat bread and we use package jelly and jams. We have oranges for fruit and few times fresh banana. City of Indio provides graffiti removal if requested. We do keep a watch and report as needed which has been very limited. Room color scheme is done by design center at Wyndham Hotel Group and most of the guest like it. We will pass your comments to the corporate. We have interior and exterior redone during 2011. Most of our guest find elevator very helpful. Property map is available at the front desk and will make sure all our associates are well trained. Training now includes 15 modules, 2 disk and 3 our test after completion of the training course.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Adirondacks NY
Reviewed 30 January 2012

You would think with the franchise that the rooms would be ok.... wrong. The staff at check in was very pleasant and helped with a choice for dinner. The heater/ac unit in our room had Sharpie marker to show you were to turn it, the lamp by the window did not have a switch and when you tried to plug it in the wall, it sparked and there was no clock in the room. The breakfast area was very small and the coffee was awful with only dry creamer. We did not eat there but went out instead. I paid less for much much more.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review. We have let our staff know that you liked our service and location. You were dissatisfied with our breakfast. Good news is that Super 8 now offers 2 types of cereal, 2 types of juice, cinnamon role, waffles , white and wheat bread, coffee, tea, fresh fruit and yogurt. We will look forward to seeing you next time. We make the courtesy call to help make your stay enjoyable.

Travellers are raving about these Indio hotels

Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 17 January 2012

I travel all around the US all the time for business. As weird as it sounds, my most favorite place to stay is this Super 8 in Indio, CA. For some reason, I love the cozy comfort of the rooms, and the friendly faces of the staff. The average value is wonderful for the average folk, and that's who I am! I highly recommend staying here! The only thing I had a complaint about this time was that someone's cigarette smoke was a little too much. But always a wonderful stay.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Jennine M
Thank you for your review and high marks on all the attributes. We are concerned that you encounter the smoking smell. We have been a no smoking establishment since the year 2000 and have zero tolerance level for people who do smoke in the room. We fine our guest $100 if they do smoke in the room and go through a complete deep cleaning. Many time this upsets our guest and they do write bad reviews. We rather have those bad review but provide a "smoke free" environment.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I had a wonderful stay at this Super 8 during my travels. The room was very comfortable and clean, and the staff was very accommodating and friendly. Made my travels through Indio very enjoyable, besides the weather. It was way too hot for me! I'm obviously not from the area, and the heat was a bit too much for me. Great hotel though! Thank you!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Thank you for your review. We appreciate high marks. During January, most years, weather in Indio is very pleasant. At times it is warmer and hardly any rain. Hope you come visit us again and we will prey for a better weather. Travel between January and March is the best for mild weather.
Now we have suites with kitchenette, balcony and rooms are larger for your convenience .
Selma, California
Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I had to be in Indio due to a family emergency during a weekend in November 2011. We stayed two nights and departed early Monday morning paying for the room the sum of $ 154 for two nights through Visa. I thought the fee was high for a room that wasn't as cleaned, the sheets on the bed were worn down and the pillows were horrible to sleep on. The towels were washed clean but weren't as soft but harsh on the skin. There was a gap under the front door which let in cold air throughout the night and the heater was so loud we were unable to get a good night sleep. We didn't parttake of the "so called breakfast that was served" because it didn't good appealing! Several days later I noticed through on-line banking that my Visa was charged one extra night for $74.80. I got on the phone and demanded an explanation to the extra room charge. It took several phone calls and almost a month to straigthened this problem. Renee took charge and finally my Visa was returned the extra room charge this January 2012! I don't have plans to return to this hotel and next time I am in Indio I will search for a hotel that is worth my paying the mid-level fee charge for a room.

Room Tip: Read the reviews prior to booking a hotel .
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
We thank you for your review. During November weather in Indio is very pleasant. Not very cold. Our breakfast has 8 items, like 2 choice of serial, bread, juice, beverage and waffles and cinnamon roles. We have fresh fruit and yogurt. We offer free breakfast, WiFi and local phone calls. Regarding the credit for extra payment may be due to three night special price reservation or extra reservation that would be no show. Renee at that time was the manager and I am glad that she refunded you the money.
Redding, California
Reviewed 1 January 2012

We stayed in this establishment on 12/22/2011. The manager of our stay; Renee, and our room's house cleaner have quite a scam for those who pay a cash deposit vs deposit with credit. The house cleaner reported we had been smoking in our room to the manager, and the manager; Renee, refused to refund our money, despite the fact the motel security camera directly outside of our room clearly showed me extinguishing a cigarette moments before entering the room. The smell in the room was from carrying an extinguished cigarette into the room for one to two minutes while I was retrieving my last bag, so I could smoke the mostly still full cigarette in the designated smoking area.

The outside lighting is poor in the breezeway at night, therefore I did not notice the sign when checking in; however, when I did notice it on my return from my first trip to pack my car in the morning, I did notice the sign and immediately extinguish my cigarette.

THE SIGN SAYS NO SMOKING IN ROOMS. I DID NOT SMOKE IN THE ROOM.

The cleaning lady checked our room moments after we checked out. The odor could not have been strong, as we could not even smell it when the manager, cleaning lady and my traveling partner and I returned to investigate the "smell". The cleaning lady, who could not speak english, pointed to some small ash from my extinguished cigarette which fell to the floor when I picked up my bag. Good grief, does she not vacuum the place between guests??? I paid an extra cost for a pet deposit, and the moment we entered the room he was under the bed trying to get at stuff not vacuumed off the floor under the bed. Considering the stuff that goes on in hotels, I surely don't want my dog getting into something left under the bed and missed by housecleaning because they are too busy scamming the guests.

Worst experience of my life. The offered to call the police and have us wait for them to show up, which who knows how long that would have put us behind in our Christmas trip. BA HUMBUG to Renee and her mexican house cleaner who ripped me off over the Christmas holiday. I hope they had a very bad holiday, to say the least, after what they did to us. We filled out a complaint form and got a bad number from Renee to report our experience, so we are taking our complaint to the streets.

Room Tip: dont pay cash deposit
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. Wish we could have made your trip pleasant but we have a zero tolerance for guest who smoke in the room. We have signs in the lobby front desk, we have have language in the registration and guest are asked to initial, we have a "no smoking" sign in the room. We have "smoke free" environment since year 2000. Penalty of $50 is to remind the smokers and does not even cover the deep cleaning cost. In order for the next guest not to complain and post a bad review our rooms has to eliminate all smoking smell. We wash walls, clean drapes, vent the room, use special chemicals, shampoo the carpets. Sometime it takes couple of days and we loose the rent but we need to do a right thing for our guest. Again we apologize but if guest is a smoker, Indio Super 8 is not the place.
Pacific Grove, California, United States
Reviewed 6 December 2011

This is the worst hotel I have stayed at in years. The cleanliness was below par, it was comparable to a Motel 6 or worse; however, priced like a upper-mid-level hotel.

In the morning I found out the shower didn't event work. The manager was nice enough to offer a $7 refund. Really, a $7 refund for a room with a non-working shower?

Just avoid this hotel if at all possible.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for your response. We conduct a courtesy calls to help guest make the most out of their room investment. If we would have known we could have offered another room. In December 2011 our standard room sold for $55. Refund of $7 would be 15% of the rent. Our head housekeeper and maintenance engineer inspects all the rooms before they are rented. This could be the one they may have missed. We will certainly take this to our heart and will do a better job.