“Very Nice, Modern Property”

SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Irvine
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I stayed here overnight on business. I really like the modern decor in the lobby, the layout of the property as a whole, and the trendy look in the rooms! The beds were very comfortable and the room was quiet. I also appreciate that the lobby, elevator, and hallways were clean and free of any debris.

Room Tip: I always select a high floor but the rooms were pretty soundproof from the freeway and street below.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Tygar

Reviewed 13 January 2013

We booked a week at this hotel, 2 queens and a sofa bed.
The hotel seems new and clean. The room is smaller than it appears on the pictures.
The beds are comfortable but the sofa bed needs some extra padding.
The staff is very helpful and the included breakfast offers a lot of choices.

But after 2 nights, we decided to go somewhere else... The noise of the heating/AC unit, right next to bed is so loud that nobody can sleep. The unit is located under the window and the way the vents are, it blows air directly into your face when you are lying on the bed.
Then, there is the noise of the mini-fridge... It takes turn with the heating/AC to make sure to keep you up all night.

I tried to get a room facing the putting green but unluckily, those were all taken. So, there is also the noise of the planes taking off and landing, starting at 7:00 Am until 10:30 PM.

I understand about the planes. But the management should definitely get a better heating/Ac unit or find a better way to diminish the noise.

Would we go back despite the good service and the nice decor? NO... We need our sleep and there is nothing that can replace it.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the putting green and bring earplugs...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank stefanny28
General M, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2013

Thank You for taking the time to rate our hotel. I am sorry to see that we were not able to meet all of your expectations with our room during your stay and we do appreciate the comment on the service and amenities. We have taken note of the areas you pointed out, and I have had my engineering inspect the AC and mini-fridge and have now solved the problem. We will be working extremely hard to see that the AC units and mini -fridge are inspected frequently to insure that your experience is not duplicated., Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback, and I want you to know we truly appreciate your business and I hope you will give our hotel another try if you are ever in the Irvine area in the future.

Warm Regards.

Reviewed 1 January 2013

i had an extended stay @springhill suites on 17601 fitch road in irvine, ca for the holidays. on Jan 1, i placed the no disturb note on the room but took it off when i left the room @1145am. i came back @420pm with my room still unserviced. i called front desk and was told housekeeping go until 530pm. 1h45min later, i went down to front desk and was told bec the sign was on the door, it meant i didnt want the room serviced. i mentioned that was never my experience in other hotels including marriott-owned properties and i was told that this is their policy in this facility. i am a seasoned traveler, both for business and leisure and this response is just not acceptable. have the rules changed? if i am on a business trip and am in a meeting, i would put that sign out to avoid distraction and normally houskeeping would come back at a later time but never completely unserviced. is this a rule that is left to the individual facilities' interpretation? This really puts a wrinkle in an otherwise uneventful experience.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2012

I arrived late on the evening of 12/14/2012. I selected this spot because of its proximity to John Wayne Airport and it enabled me to catch a 6:00 AM flight with no problem.

When I arrived there were a large number of teens hanging around in the lobby. It was a situation the desk clerk should have prevented in that they seemed to be attempting to see who was checking in and seemed to be paying attention to my transaction.

The desk clerk changed shifts while I was checking in and I wound up on the 4th floor when the new clerk realized the 3rd floor where I had been slated to go was also populated with kids running around.

Now, I have to say I'm not a cranky fellow, I just don't feel that kids should be hanging around hotel lobbies and running the hallways at 11:00 PM.

Anyway, my room was very clean, well appointed, and everything worked as it should. I had to depart at 5:00 AM in order to catch my flight so my visit was brief but satisfactory once I got to my room.

Also, I found adequate and convenient parking as well as Wi-Fi.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 December 2012

I was traveling with a co-worker that is a loyal Marriot rewards point member, while I usually prefer Starwood hotels. I figured it wasn't a big deal and thought I'd give this hotel a shot so we could share a rental car and not have to worry about driving to separate hotels every day. Unfortunately, this hotel is horrible. He picked it based on the reviews on TripAdvisor and I'm not sure why it gets such high reviews. Maybe the lower rate clouds people's judgment? Not really sure.

Here is my impression -- this hotel (and I'm guessing chain) is really a dressed up motel that is trying to hard to be trendy, yet falls way short. The hotel itself is in a horrible location -- you hear a ton of road noise and planes from the nearby airport. Noise is usually not an issue when at stayed at other hotels near John Wayne Airport -- so there is something about the location / construction that amplifies the sounds at this particular hotel. I can sleep standing up, but the noise definitely challenged me during this stay. On top of that, the hotel is extremely humid and musty smelling. They do their best to mask the mold/mildew smell with some sort of noxious scent in the A/C unit. The person who decided to put this in needs to get their sense of smell checked out. The beds aren't comfortable and there was some sort of round log pillow thing that looked like it hadn't been cleaned in ages. The rooms are also just odd in their layout and the walls are paper thin. I could hear the person in the room next door pulling TP off the roller while I was still in bed.
The free breakfast is mediocre at best. I'd rather pay for better quality food than eat what they put out in the morning.

Anyhow, I hope some travelers that expect a decent night sleep in an above average hotel read this review and take notice before booking a stay here.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank seven21
seemsters, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

I would first like to thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share such candid feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate and value your concerns. I am very sorry that you were disappointed in the comfort of your guest room and I apologize for the inconveniences you experienced. Here at SpringHill Suites Irvine we do our best to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay and leave our doors with a smile on their face, with the intent to stay with us again. We will use your comments as we continuously work to improve our guest experience. We have addressed your concerns with our hotel associates. I hope that next time you’re in the area; you’ll visit us again and experience the level of quality accommodations you expect and deserve from Marriott.

Seema B.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

Indoor pools are atypical for Southern California, but a welcoming amenity on cooler days here (50-70F days). Typical Springhill Suites, modern, free breakfast, newer /modernized rooms that have both a toilet room separate from a shower room. I especially liked the putting green in the back which is a fun thing to do with kids. Check with front to borrow equipment (as it is more play equipment).

Customer service was okay... would I stay here again... YES if the Residence Inn down the street is booked. ** Note : dining options have to be driven to. There is nothing within walking distance.

Room Tip: In an industrial area, so I can't see any room having a view. Your views will either be freeway...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 November 2012

SpringHill Suites is inviting and the place to stay due to it's many freebies. It's a bright and welcoming hotel that gives you the feeling that it's trying to be "boutique". The hotel is close to John Wayne Airport, nice size gym and pool, free parking, free breakfast and LIGHTNING SPEED WIFI!! It's close to The District (not walking distance though) if you need entertainment, food, shopping (brand new Target for all your hotel essentials) and more. Definitely a good stay. If you request things for your room though, you'll have to go down to the front desk in the lobby to get them.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business