“Amazing genuine gold seeking adventure”

Gold Prospecting Adventures
Ranked #1 of 14 things to do in Jamestown
More attraction details
Owner description: As seen on every major network including Fox News, CNN, MSNBC, Discovery and History Channels, Tokyo TV, CBS and read about in the New York Times, The San Francisco Chronicle, the Shock Family has some of the most experienced and knowledgeable prospectors in all of Gold Country. We will open doors for the novice to the professional that you may have not known existed. You may lose your pictures but you will never forget the memories. Come have a blast into the past finding gold and learning the art of prospecting on the historic Woods Creek. The surest way to ensure the future is by touching the past.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 27, 2017

We visited here on a recent trip and decided to try our hand at prospecting for hold. We imagined it would be a prefabricated setup where you get to try out some of the classic prospecting tools--were we wrong! We arrived and were greeted by our friendly and extremely knowledgeable guide, and we had the creek pretty much to ourselves. First, we started out by learning how to shovel in the creek and where to find spots that might harbor gold. Then we learned how to sift through the sand and rocks to separate out the rocks, filling a tub of silt that might harbor real gold. Next, we learned how to pan the silt and actually find and collect real gold specks that were sometimes hidden in it. Finally, we learned how to sluice, to speed up the gold search process. Then we got to work, looking for gold! Within our first few panning efforts, we found several gold flakes, and then periodically we found more throughout the time we were there, culminating in a large find in the sluice at the end. Two hours was barely enough, and we felt we could have spent the whole day doing this because it was so much fun. It was the true highlight of our California trip and we cannot recommend it highly enough!

1  Thank Familyof4nyc
"eureka"
"california"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed August 21, 2017

I was surprised to learn that there are so many intricate steps to gold panning. I learned them all in 15 minutes and was successful quickly. As a result of an expert lesson from Tabletop Terry who was very patient, smart and funny, I found a couple of gold flakes in the first 20 minutes! The woman in the store was informative and accommodating. The creek was easy to find but also oddly hidden; I assume that's to keep out squatters! It was very cool in the water which was heavenly because the air temperature was 100 degrees. So if there is a heat wave, go gold panning! I thank Tabletop for a fun time. I think him for letting me wear my strap-on water sandals which were probably more comfortable than their boots. Normally guests wear heavy fishing boots that they supply. Also, there are little fish swimming around your feet. I believe they were minnows. The water was very clear and I was in the shade. I noticed that down the river a couple of guys were panning in the full sun.

Reviewed August 21, 2017

We spent 3 hours digging in the creek using a pan and sluice and yes we did find gold..Alas not enough to retire on but it was a wonderful morning.Its hard work and you'll end the morning covered in dirt but with an appreciation of how hard the 49ers worked for what was often little gain.The shop in main street is wonderful. Gary was a wealth of stories. A must for anyone with an interest in the Gold Rush

Reviewed August 2, 2017

My husband and I came here when we explored the historic Gold Country in Northern California and had a great time!! We did the 3 hour pan/sluice trip and highly recommend it. "Tabletop Terry" was extremely knowledgeable and showed us how to use the pan and sluice box to find gold. He had a lot of good tips and definitely knew a lot about gold mining history. The trip is a little on the expensive side but is well worth it--so much better than those other places that have you pan in a wooden trough of water in a shop because you really get in the water and work! Very authentic. We found about 15-20 little flakes and mini nuggets and had a lot of fun in the process. We would definitely do it again!

1  Thank lmastr