All reviews outdoor shower otres beach sandy road bar restaurant laid back tuk tuk expensive hotel rainy season nearby islands other places other resorts sihanoukville area sun loungers hotel guests cambodian standards phnom penh nice bungalows
Reviewed July 13, 2016 via mobile

We have stayed here many times and can't imagine going anywhere else. Staff is very good, there's a very tropical and lush atmosphere, and no better food in Sihanoukville/Otres - hands down. Get the fish tacos and quesadilla! The bungalows are clean and modern. The beach area is perfect for watching sunsets. Would highly recommend.

Date of stay: July 2016
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2016

Stayed here for 4 nights for some R & R after visiting the temples in Siem Reap, before heading to Phnom Penh for 2 nights.

This resort is situated down a potted dirt road, between two ugly large modern white resorts (this isn't the greek islands!), happy the Secret Garden has kept with the laid back tropical feeling...which is what you need when on holiday.

The bungalows are thatched, with a front veranda, lovely outdoor shower and are quite charming and private. The bungalows are situated across the road from the restaurant which is on the beachfront.

My only complaint is when we arrived (myself and friend), having booked a queen bed plus single....no single bed in the room, had to ask for it.

Breakfast up to $5 is free for guests at the restaurant. You can purchase other items from the breakfast menu, and you pay the difference but I never felt the need to do that as there was plenty on the $5 menu.

The beachfront in front of the restaurant is kept clean but walk in opposite directions and its a disgrace, too much rubbish. The water is murky. The hawkers can be pushy...remember not to buy anything from the children as this keeps them out of school because they are making an income for the family.

I had a foot massage on a sunlounge for $5, for half an hour...the worst massage, I could feel the dry skin on her hands scrapping my legs. What I do recommend is going to the right of the resort on the beach, look for a massage sign just up from The Secret Garden...H & N Health Massage - they have an outdoor area plus inside tables for a massage. I had a foot massage, $7 for an hour and I went back the following day for a head, neck and shoulder massage, $8 for an hour. They don't speak English well, but they give the best massage in Cambodia...well I think so anyway because I had quite a few!

We walked into Sihanoukville along the beach...this took us a few hours. It poured with rain and we didn't return. Otres 2 was our happy place for a few days. Thanks to all staff for making us welcome, we had a wonderful time staying here.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2016

Have stayed here several times and keep coming back. Comfortable bungalows with jungle shower + AC. Pool +ocean. Great food and drink. A bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for. The Khmer staff are excellent and Saron is quite conscientious and will accommodate any reasonable request. Hard to find a better stay on the beach anywhere.

Date of stay: June 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank SJWander
Reviewed May 28, 2016

I had a free night during my travels and found this fantastic hotel on a secluded beach outside of Sihanoukville.

The owners Dora and Kristen are wonderful as is the whole staff. Great food, cool bungalows, a very nice pool and an amazing beach.

Date of stay: May 2016
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed May 27, 2016 via mobile

We flew down from Siem Reap to spend some time on the Coast. It was raining, grey and overcast the whole time. This is the first time we have been caught out in monsoon season after many years of travelling to Asia. That aside The Secret Garden was terrific. Quaint boutique hotel without any fancy promises from the outside (unlike its neighbours!). Once inside the lovely gardens and people make your stay memorable. The food at the restaurant is fantastic we did not eat anywhere else. It seemed guests at the other hotels are there too. Lily at the restaurant is a delight and makes sure you are looked after. Out the front of the hotel beachside it is clean but walk 20 feet in either direction and there is a lot of rubbish washed up on the beach. I'd like to think that was because of the stormy weather washing it ashore, but realistically that is probably not the case.

Would have loved to have seen Otres II in its full sunny glory... We will have to wait until next time :)

Date of stay: May 2016