“What a Jewel!”

Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Texas
“What a Jewel!”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I so enjoyed my 3-night stay at the GC last week. I was there for business and I have not stayed in a lovelier hotel...very accommodating staff, excellent amenities, wonderful bar and restaurant. The location is excellent...being close to shops, eateries...and right in the middle of Downtown LaJolla. I cannot wait to return for an even longer stay. The French Toast is to die for...it is very, very good. And the new drink...The California Poppy...wow is all I can say...very yummy.

I will find a reason to return to the GC...such a wonderfully helpful staff and an awesome venue!!! It was like staying at the home of a very wealthy friend....loved it!

Room Tip: Try for a room that faces the ocean or the pool...nice, nice, nice!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 28 March 2012
Thanks, Ronsha! I couldn't have been more pleased to read your comments about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. It sounds like we did our job to provide you with a memorable experience. I hope next time you are in town, it will be for pleasure and you'll have an opportunity to truly experience all that is right at our doorstep here in the Village of La Jolla. All our best -
Terrence Underwood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
Corrales, New Mexico
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We had the Jr King Ste. It was great and very comfortable. The best thing about the hotel was the staff and how accomodating they were. Such and nice friendly bunch of people, we will definitely be back to the hotel. 2 little problems that were minor but here they are. We stayed 6 days and in our suite there was only closet space and no drawers. It made it hard to unpack and keep things organized. The second thing was the furniture in our suite was a bit dirty as well as the rug from normal wear and tear. That stuff always gets me. In my book those are minor and like I said above we would definitly stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank JRomero816
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 21 March 2012

I have to agree with Maryannestravel's comments below; she took the words right out of my mouth :)
We had a wonderful meeting experience because of the Grande Colonial!

I had been working with Audra, Director of Sales, since August 2011 to host our February event in San Diego. We chose the Grande Colonial in October 2011 for our meeting after looking at several other properties within the area. Audra went above and beyond her duties as Director of Sales! She helped me with not only the contract, but with activities and teambuilding options as well.

We had 40 of the 93 rooms at the GC, and our group enjoyed every minute of their stay! The rooms have wonderful views! I believe that each one is unique in its own way; I personally only got to see three of them. Clean bathrooms, comfortable beds and complimentary water and newspaper each day.

Our group was treated as if we were the only ones there, and as if you were like family. Stellar services throughout the hotel!

We had about 50 people in our daily meetings, and every need was taken care of by the catering staff including special dietary requests. The food was outstanding! And believe me, I’m a very picky eater.

Only negative that we experienced was spotty Wi-Fi service within the hotel.

The hotel is a hop, skip and a jump from the water and Children’s beach. It was nice to take a break from our meetings and go watch the seals! There are plenty of things to do in the area, because you are in the middle of La Jolla. I enjoyed going to see the Dr. Seuss museum a couple of blocks away.

I would definitely consider coming back to this hotel on a personal trip, too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 19 March 2012

The hotel is in a great location, close to the beach and restaurants. The staff were very friendly and we were checked in to our room in record time! The valets are fast and very efficient. We were upgraded from a king room to a king suite and we enjoyed having that extra space. That was a nice surprise. There is no coffee maker so that may be something they would consider adding to help enhance a guests stay. They do have 2 complimentary water bottles. Overall the hotel was nice and we enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: Room 205 is a king suite and we found it to be a quiet room
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
Dear FountainValley -
Great to hear how much you enjoyed your trip to the Grande Colonial and La Jolla this past weekend. While I had no control over the weather, I do apologize about the torrential downpour and cold temperatures. As you know, those two days of blistery weather are certainly not the norm for La Jolla. As a matter of fact, it's 70 degrees and sunny with not a cloud in the sky as we "speak". So come back and see us again soon!
Terrence Underwood
San Diego, California
Reviewed 14 March 2012

My company is local in San Diego and we had a large group of out-of-towners stay at The Grand Colonial Hotel and it was a great experience -- we rented all of The Little Hotel and a few rooms in the main hotel as well. Working with the group sales department was effortless. We also had a dinner in Restaurant 910 and it received great reviews! The food at 910 is always spectacular. The Colonial is perfectly located and just a lovely hotel. It's charm and staff make it a great place to stay.

1 Thank Mamie66
Fresno, California
Reviewed 12 March 2012

I have got to say that this property has been the best, by far, in all aspects of planning and executing a week long sales meeting. Having been doing this type of work for several years, I can honestly say that this has been the best meeting experience from both a planner & attendee perspective!

I had begun the planning process in October of 2011 and from the first contact with Audra at the Grande Colonial I was certain this was the best property for our sales meeting. I did look at 5 other properties in the area and after all was said & done, the GC rated top in all aspects of the research - and that was just the beginning! It was as easy to communicate with Audra after the contract was signed as before while we were in the decision process and she was there every step of the way. The stellar service and attention to detail extends to Cameron, the Banquet & Catering Manager, as well. Her focus and keen sense of what fits best with a group resulted in excellent catering offerings that the group truly enjoyed Monday through Friday (not easy to do when most hotels have limited offerings and/or menu flexibility). And the food - oh the food! It was wonderful! All catering was done through the on site top rated hotel restaurant, Nine-Ten. There is not a "rubber chicken" meal coming out of that kitchen! The meeting room service was top notch all week. Actually, every person who is a member of the Grande Colonial team is top notch and it shows. The friendly, helpful professionalism that each staff member exudes is a refreshing change from the norm of "ok but not great" service.

The hotel is perfectly situated, right up the street from the beautiful La Jolla coastline (less than a 5 minute walk from the door of my hotel room) and you will be treated to ocean view sunsets from most of the rooms, or street view scenes of the active Prospect Street. Walk out the door of the GC and you will have your pick of any type of cuisine you like (if you are not staying to eat at the fab Nine Ten restaurant). Shopping is amazing too if you are a shopper!

Speaking of the rooms, they are spacious, well appointed and exceptionally clean. The beds are heavenly and it was quiet every night of our stay - not one person mentioned ambient noise (which is unusual in such varied demographic as our group is). So you planners out there - don't hesitate to book this property for your meeting! I guarantee your job will be easier and your attendees will remember your meeting for a long time to come. We are already looking at another program that will fit just perfectly with The Grand Colonial. I personally cannot wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel offer gorgeous ocean views!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
GrandeColonial, General Manager at Grande Colonial La Jolla, responded to this review, 14 March 2012
Dear Mary Anne:
What a pleasure it was to see your review about your recent visit to the Grande Colonial. Needless to say, I am delighted to hear of your overwhelming satisfaction with our staff, service and accommodations. We were very happy you chose to hold your company’s western regional sales meeting with us and we are already looking forward to your return this fall. Meanwhile, I thank you again for taking the time to post your feedback. See you in a few months.
Terrence Underwood, General Manager
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife & I have traveled a fair amount and we both agreed this was likely the best hotel we've ever stayed in. It's an older hotel (designated as a historic property) so you have to expect some less than current elements, but they only added to the charm. It's the best location in La Jolla, with the seal beach almost directly behind the hotel and the main shopping area right in front.

The staff were incredible! When we arrived, we found our room to be a little small for a one week stay (although very nice) so we went up to the desk to see if there were any options. The woman at the front desk offered to take us to see two other rooms, the first of which was perfect for us.

On our first day, we asked an employee near the pool a question about the beach location and he stopped what he was doing and took us to the brochure rack. He spent 15 minutes with us telling us what the best things to do (and what not to bother with). I found out later in the conversation he was the chief engineer for the hotel! Thanks, Jose...your advice was great!

If you want a double jacuzzi tub and a lot of steel and glitz, this isn't for you. If, however, you want to be treated like an extended family member in very comfortable rooms with lots of character, I'd highly recommend this hotel. Everyone, from the doormen to the chamber maids were extremely friendly & thoughtful.

Chris & Elaine, Toronto

Room Tip: We ended up in room 521 - top floor - which was bright and gave us a cross breeze and a view of the...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple