“Outstanding Staff”

Grande Colonial La Jolla
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Reviewed 28 April 2012

The hotel is generally well kept. Common areas are very nice, but my room was showing its age. But hey--it was built in 1913, so this kind of thing is expected. (I should add--the room was very clean.)

The most outstanding feature for me--other than a great location in the heart of the village--was the staff. Everyone I encountered--from front desk to doorman to bartender to waiter--was first-rate. Just the right amount of friendliness, helpfulness and attentiveness without appearing to try too hard. Hats off to management for hiring great people and training them so well.

If you like old-style vintage hotels, you should definitely give the Colonial a try.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Jblewis
Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed 28 April 2012

We were looked after so well at this charming hotel. All the staff said hello and were friendly and very helpful. Everywhere was immaculate, from the pool area to the lobby. We highly recommend staying here if you want to stay in La Jolla.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Calps
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Great hotel with beautiful large rooms and views. I rented the Jr. Suite and it was spacious. I would stay here again. Great location, you can walk to everything.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank KMJ46
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I just hosted a meeting for my organization at this beautiful property and my expectations were definitely exceeded by the great service and terrific food served at the event. We look forward to returning for future meetings.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Our company has stayed at the Grande Colonial for many years for an event we sponsor each October in La Jolla, CA. I book 55-60 rooms, and we have always been treated with great courtesy and professionalism by all the staff. The rooms are spotless, comfortable, and beautifully decorated. I especially love the beds - so cozy and wonderful to sleep on. The Hotel is in a great location for instant shopping, beach, or great restaurants. If you feel like staying in, the "Nine-Ten" Restaurant inside the hotel has great food that is beautifully presented. I am already looking forward to our stay again this October and know we won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 April 2012

As long as you understand that you're staying in a very old renovated hotel and accept that fact, you'll be fine here. The staff is very friendly and eager to help you and make your stay there as pleasant as possible. The architecture and lobby are beautiful- no argument there. In particular, I was very happy and impressed with the valets- they were extremely courteous and helpful every time we left or arrived.

That being said, speaking as a father of two active little boys (2 and 5), don't think you can "get by" with just their standard hotel rooms if you're bringing little kids. I initially booked a village view queen-queen room thinking there would at least be a little room for the boys to move around in but I was dead wrong. There was a decent sized path at the foot of the queen sized beds to get by, but definitely not enough for a family of four. We decided to upgrade to their queen-queen junior suite and got a room on the 4th floor- problem solved.

Still, the room was not without its own issues. Despite being a suite, the bathroom was still tiny- the toilet paper roll was obscured behind the bathroom door when open. There was very little room to maneuver and if you're not careful (as I was) you can easily drop things into the toilet by accident. I don't consider myself to be overly tall, but the shower head was positioned at about mouth level- not a huge deal to me but if you are of above average height, this bathroom was definitely not designed for you. All of the furnishings seem premium but you can tell the rooms were designed for a different era. I had issues connecting to the free wi-fi network with my Android tablet, but my wife's iPad seemed to connect fine.

We were in a village view suite, so we were facing Prospect which is a fairly busy street, especially on weekend nights (Friday and Saturday). Expect to hear some stray conversation from the street and the Nine Ten restaurant patio seating. A few times, I could smell some people smoking. Our room also had a window that opens onto a balcony- as it turns out, this balcony is a publicly accessible balcony from the hotel's hallway, so a couple of times during our stay we saw people just outside our window which may not be your cup of tea if you value your privacy.

Our package included a $50/night dining credit- we don't typically do room service, but since it was part of the package, decided to take advantage of it. The Nine Ten restaurant downstairs is a top rated restaurant in La Jolla according to Tripadvisor- we had a pleasant enough dinner experience one night with good food and great service. Unfortunately, the room service left a little to be desired. The first morning we ordered an omelette, 2 orders of bacon and eggs, and a large pot of coffee. When the order arrived, we received a small pot of coffee and one of the orders of bacon had been subbed with sausage, and there was no sugar for the coffee. No biggie on the sausage and a call got us the sugar- we let the coffee order slide. A few days later we ordered large coffee pot, cinnamon roll, bagel with cream cheese- order arrived ok, but my wife noticed an old coffee ring in one of the mugs as she poured coffee in and oddly enough, there were no utensils aside from spoons to mix the coffee. I can kind of understand no fork, but no knife to spread the cream cheese? Again, a call got utensils and a clean coffee mug. Last morning we still had a little credit to use up and decided to just order large coffee pot, 2 oatmeals and a pastry. The hostess said it would probably be about 15 minutes- about 30-40 minutes later it arrived- thankfully accurate. Now I know what you're thinking- it sounds like nit picking, but really- when you are pre-charged a 20% tip and a $2.50 "trip fee" for this kind of service, I'm going to nit pick.

The swimming pool was a big plus for us- it's only 3&1/2 feet deep and circular, so it's a good size for little kids. The hotel also let us use a small fridge at no extra fee- a great convenience when traveling with kids to store kiddie drinks and cold snacks.

The hotel is very centrally located in La Jolla- there are a ton of great restaurants and shops within walking distance, and the ocean is a 5 minute walk.

It probably sounds like common sense to book the biggest room when you have kids, but at this price range, you may want to try and get more for less- my advice for this hotel, don't. Pay the extra for the extra breathing room if you can swing it. Because it is an older hotel, space seems to be more of an issue.

Room Tip: If you are traveling with kids, definitely book at least a suite- if you can afford it, get an ocean...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I was traveling on business and arrived in the evening. When I checked in I asked for a quiet room and they gave me 224. I asked about the view and she said that it overlooks the gardens with a partial ocean view. I had to walk by the kitchen on my way to the room which should have given me a clue about how happy I would be with the room. Since it was dark when I looked out the window I could not really see anything that evening. In the morning I saw my view was the dumpster. I wondered what the banging the night before was and then realized it was the staff taking out the garbage. If I strained my neck I could see the ocean from the tiny window in my closet. The front desk staff was clearly not telling the truth when I checked in. Seeing that I was there for only a couple of days I decided to not bother to change rooms. If I return to La Jolla, I would not stay in this hotel again because the staff was not honest when i checked in. One positive note was the free coffee in the lobby in the morning which was delicious.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business