“Casual fun, and great food”

Herringbone La Jolla
Reserve with OpenTable
Herringbone La Jolla is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #29 of 1,249 Restaurants in La Jolla
Price range: US$31 - US$50
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Wall Street
Description: Herringbone features a California coastal cuisine with an emphasis on line-caught seafood and high-quality meats. Filled with a sense of nautical whimsy, Herringbone’s innovative design creates a fresh, contemporary atmosphere of easy Southern California beach living. The coastal charm of each of location is achieved through live trees, lush greenery, fish net draping and maritime inspired artwork and fixtures; while the cuisine uses market-driven ingredients and a curated wine selection that allows guests to set sail on a unique culinary and social dining experience.
Reviewed September 20, 2016

Herringbone is one of my favorite restaurants in La Jollla. We particularly enjoy lunches there, the lobster sandwich being my favorite. We've had the pizza/flatbreads, the fish tacos, and the (best) fish and chips, also, so sometimes deciding is a fun challenge. We take advantage of Tannin Tuesday, 1/2 price off wine, with our lunches.
Our out of town guests enjoy Herringbone also.
I enjoy sitting in the backroom so I can watch the activity in the kitchen and at the oyster bar.
We've also enjoyed a fabulous brunch there on one occasion.

Reviewed September 20, 2016

We stumbled across this beautiful restaurant. We made a reservation for Brunch for the next morning. The food was fabulous, everyone at our table enjoyed their food. I wish we would have stayed in town longer, I would have loved to have dinner and drinks there. It had a really cool vibe. There were some outdoor tables as well. The staff was very nice. When the bill came, we were pleasantly surprised it was reasonably priced for how nice the restaurant was.

Reviewed September 19, 2016

It's sometimes hard to choose a restaurant when you are from out of town so we considered ourselves really lucky to have found Herringbone!! To start with, the décor is really fun. Live trees inside decorated with tiny white lights, fireplace going, tables well spaced so you didn't feel on top of the next diner. Service was so knowledgeable and pleasant. Our server was busy with a large table at one point and the manager took over to see that we had everything we needed. Wine selection is nice as well as having different price points. Cocktails were fun and creative. The food is the best!!! This restaurant is not afraid to season and spice up their food. The oyster sampler is wonderfully fresh and gave us a chance to try the different west coast oysters. We shared our plates - Big Eye Tuna Carpaccio, Soft Shelled Crab, Quail, and Grilled Wild Prawns. The food was perfection and, now that I'm back from vacation, am still thinking about the restaurant and our wonderful experience. If I am ever back in La Jolla, I will DEFINITELY come back!!

Reviewed September 14, 2016 via mobile

This resturent was recommended by the hotel I stayed at. It is truely an upscale place with good atmosphere and excellent services provided by friendly waitress who know all their dishes and offer alternatives as appropriate. I will definitely go there again when I am in the area.

Reviewed September 12, 2016 via mobile

The fish tacos are delicious but the portion size is tiny. Though the menu said all "plates" come with a side, this item had no side though it was listed as a plate.

Service was mediocre at best.

The two trees that are the focal point of the decor are brown, neglected and dying.

Won't be returning any time soon.

Alex F, General Manager at Herringbone La Jolla, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2016

Hi,

Very sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant. We appreciate the feedback on the portion size of the tacos. We recently added a taco taking it from three to four total and we thought this had addressed the issue of not being enough food but this does not seem to be the case. Also I see how it can be a bit misleading on the plates section of the menu it states that house made chips come with all sandwiches. But either way we have not had anyone suggest a side dish with the tacos which would obviously help with the portion size issue. The lack of service bothers me as we take great pride in both our food and service and we are regretful when we do not deliver on our promise to our guests. If you have time could you please let me know when you were in or if you remember the name of your server so I can use this as a coaching tool to help them along? Lastly we have attempted everything to bring some life back to our trees but have been unsuccessful thus far. They are one hundred year old olives and have just not been receptive to being put indoors. In October we are going to try a new approach with our trees which should fix the issue of brown leaves and dry spots. I would like the opportunity to show case our restaurant to you again and hopefully this time in a much better light. If you would be gracious enough to give us another try I would like to invite you back in for lunch on us. Guest feedback goes a long way and would just be our way of saying thank you. I look forward to hearing back from you and hopefully serving you soon. Have a wonderful day!

Thanks