“La Jolla Cove Suites ~ Like Home Away From Home Only BETTER!”

La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites
Ranked #17 of 24 Hotels in La Jolla
Branchville, New Jersey
“La Jolla Cove Suites ~ Like Home Away From Home Only BETTER!”
Reviewed 4 January 2012

We had an amazing 10-day stay at LA JOLLA COVE SUITES in La Jolla, California -- from Christmas Eve 2011 through New Years 2012. Our party was my boyfriend and myself and my two daughters. We absolutely loved it! We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would definitely return! The staff was hands-down the friendliest that I’ve encountered in a long time -- from the guest services Staff and Manager, right down to housekeeping. They were quite organized and very accommodating. The suite was huge and the kitchen (complete with stove, microwave, and refrigerator) had enough supplies to get through making basic meals. The suite even had a wet bar!! The rate for this amazing suite was exceptionally reasonably priced -- especially given this prime location in La Jolla. It was like being at home away from home for 10 days but in a much nicer place than New Jersey. We had a booming balcony – with FOUR sliding glass doors -- overlooking the cove and beautiful Pacific Ocean where we could watch dolphins, seals, a wide variety of birds and whales too!! Anyone who is considering going to La Jolla and staying anywhere other than La Jolla Cove Suites will NOT get an ocean view as it is the only hotel with a true ocean front view. The suite was extremely spacious and impeccably clean. The suites are spread out nicely allowing for guest privacy. A fresh continental breakfast is included daily with enough variety for a light breakfast and you can dine outside on the rooftop. There is a pool area complete with hot tub that was also immaculately kept. We were in the hot tub almost every evening. Everything is within walking distance and La Jolla Cove Suites is situated on the main drag of Prospect Street on the top side and cove side on the lower portion. For shopping and dining out, there are plenty of options to suit any budget – from very affordable meals and great shopping deals to the finest of dining and high end retail stores. I would highly recommend La Jolla Cove suites and look forward to returning for another stay at beautiful La Jolla Cove Suites!

Our many thanks to the staff of La Jolla Cove Suites for your hospitality and making our stay special and truly memorable. <3

Room Tip: The terrace suites are the BOMB!!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
7 Thank MicheleE-DavidG

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Imperial Beach, California, United States
Reviewed 18 December 2011

We decided to spend a little more than planned on our wedding venue, and are we happy we did!! Not only is the view spectacular, but the staff is extraordinary! Everyone we worked with was really nice and super helpful. We stayed at the hotel that night, and, while the rooms are nice, they are not anything spectacular, they are clean and comfortable.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Bethany C
New Castle, Delaware
Reviewed 25 November 2011

This is a review of the Terrace Suites behind and up the hill from the main building. The main building's rooms we have stayed in before were dumpy but in a perfect location overlooking the Pacific and not just anyplace on the Pacific, over looking the Cove. The Terrace was a nice surprise. Terrace rooms are up the hill on Prospect street, you can look down on and walk down to the rooftop hotel pool from here. They are all different, I can only talk about rm 235. For $300/night we have a spacious 2 br 2 ba apartment with large (30 ft?) balcony facing the ocean. The balcony connects to the living/dining room by 4 sliding glass doors. The main building blocks much of the view, but I'd still call it ocean view. Each bedroom has one double bed. The couch does not fold out but one person can sleep on it comfortably. Equipped with 2 wall heaters for winter, and a living room fan and 2 br fans for summer, no A/C but A/C is rarely necessary in La Jolla when you have 4 sliding glass doors to open. Sparse furnishings for something this size, dining table designed for 4, but you can squeeze in a 5th.. One couch, one love seat, no chairs in living room, but the balcony chairs are better than average and can be brought in. The kitchen has a few pots and pans, 8 glasses, 6 place settings. No serving dishes, one cooking/serving spoon, one spatula, no wine glasses, manual ice trays. Stove burners seemed to have only on full or off. Microwave is small. One dish towel provided and no pot holders. If you plan to cook, you may want to re-think that. I planned on serving a pre-cooked Thanksgiving meal ordered from a restaurant but did so with great difficulty. Not enough pans to warm everything up at once, no serving pieces, bought our own wine glasses so we could use the others for water, bought plates, found no cutting board. So the kitchen is fine if you are only using it to warm up restaurant leftovers but tough to do anything more. It is a shame since half a night's cost would equip this place to what you expect for the price. Has large TV, cable, but no DVD player. Again, they don't cost much and were expected. Private parking available for $15/night. We will stay again because it is a great location, spacious, clean, convenient, and a very good value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank aajarvis
West Virginia
Reviewed 15 November 2011

I'll start with the GOOD. It is by far the view, location, wonderful rooftop and very nice pool area. For location purposes this hotel cannot be beat, and the views are absolutely fantastic. We attended a wedding a few months ago held on the hotel's roof top and I must say it was absolutely fantastic. The roof top itself was very clean and well maintenance. The views are breath taking, I could not imagine a better place to have a wedding.

The hotel also has a great location and is within easy walking distance of everything in La Jolla. It’s directly across the street from the ocean. I really could not imagine a more convenient location if you are there for the ocean or perhaps scuba diving. Keep in mind though this section of ocean is rather dangerous and I would not recommend it for anyone but a competent swimmer. Certainly I’d avoid taking smaller children into the water.

Across from the rooftop area is a nice pool / patio area for hotel guests to enjoy. This is also well maintained and very clean. There are ample tables, chairs and there is also a very large hot tub beside of the pool. They even have a few grills to cook up some food.

O.k. now for the BAD in just two words, THE ROOMS. These rooms are the most dated I’ve ever seen or been into. They were cramped, dirty and very uncomfortable. In my opinion the hotel is beyond renovation and really should be bulldozed and re built. The staff kept the rooms as clean as they possibly could, but honestly there is only so much they can do.

There was one very small television on the floor and the reception was bad. The remote control was broken. The kitchen area was tiny and I don’t think the oven even worked, although we were not about to try and cook anything there. Fortunately there are plenty of good restaurants within walking distance from the hotel, but if you were planning on preparing your meals there it’s not going to happen.

The bathroom was cramped and dirty. The only ventilation was from a small window in the shower / bathtub stall. The hot water cut out a few times. We only got two smaller bath towels and when we asked for two more we were told there was not enough to go around.

Now for the UGLY. Two things come to mind really, the cost and with the exception of the front office there is NO AIRCONDITIONING. When we first booked our room I opted for the less expensive rooms at a mere 200.00 per night towards the back of the hotel without a view. I really saw no need for a balcony or ocean view since we were only there for a few days to attend a wedding. Upon check in we entered our room and the room temperature was about 100 degrees. I couldn’t find the air conditioning control and when I called the front desk to inquire about it I was told there was no air conditioning, that I should open the one window and “enjoy the nice ocean breeze”. First of all opening just one window was not about to cool that room down, secondly our building sat behind the ocean front building and there was no way the breeze was going to get to us. Third it was July and it was hot and humid.

We immediately left the room and headed for the front office. I have to say they were polite, did apologize and told us it was more hot and humid than normal. The manager said she would up grade us to an ocean front “suite” at no extra cost. This room was cooler and they did provide one of those stand up air conditioners for the back bedroom. This made our stay tolerable, otherwise we would have had to check out.

I will up load some pictures of our “suite” and you can be the judge. Frankly if I were in Mexico and paying 25.00 a night I could understand the room and would have no complaints. Being as I was in La Jolla California and paying 200.00 a night I expected more.

My suggestion for anyone attending a wedding here is to stay at one of the other nearby hotels. The price is about the same but the rooms are modern, comfortable and are air conditioned. If you are there for the ocean or to scuba dive and don’t mind over paying for a bad room then go for it.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms, if you want that go to another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank trav115
ljcskmv, Guest Relations Manager at La Jolla Cove Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Dear Trav115,

I would like to start by thanking you for taking the time to post your comments on Trip advisor we welcome the chance to respond to your feedback and appreciate hearing where you think we can make improvements.

We are so happy to hear that you found our location and views both “breathtaking” and “fantastic” and as you said “you could not imagine a better place to have a wedding”. It was also nice to hear that our staff addressed your concerns politely and competently, we always strive to give our guests 5 star customer service.

As to where we fell short, I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations as far as the room accommodations. I have had a chance to review the photo’s you uploaded. The shower door did have what looked like some hard water deposits in the corner thank you for bringing this to our attention and rest assured it will be addressed. I do believe the additional photo’s accurately depict what is typical for the room type you occupied which is our 500 square foot one bedroom suite. This suite has a queen bed and sofa bed a fully functional kitchenette full bath table and chairs with a balcony oceanfront. Although our hotel was built more than 50 years ago it has had many upgrades and our rooms are clean and neatly appointed.

As for the matter of air conditioning we will provide air conditioning to guests at their request. La Jolla is known for its ocean breezes and it is not often that air conditioning is requested by our guests.

I think you will find if you compare the prices of our neighboring hotels that we are very reasonable and competitive, and as you so kindly pointed out our views and location are incomparable.

May I suggest that you give us another chance on a future stay and possibly try one of our more spacious room types such as the deluxe one bedroom, I think you will find it more to your liking and we will have air conditioning installed in your room and running when you arrive.

Again thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you in the future.

Best regards,

kvanhaaster@lajollacove.com

Travellers are raving about these La Jolla hotels

Elizabethtown
Reviewed 12 November 2011

Recently stayed at La Jolla Cove Suites on business/personal. While I loved the location and view, the suite itself reminded me of the kind of accommodations one would have seen on the Brady Bunch vacays in La Jolla. They will need to do some renovations very soon. I found the cleaning and maintenance staff to be friendlier and kinder than the front desk staff. If I traveled to La Jolla again, I would probably find a different place to stay.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tsues
Miami Beach
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We were reluctant to stay here after reading some of the reviews. However, we had the good fortune of being able to inspect a room days before our actual stay; this eased our minds about confirming a reservation.
We particularly found the staff who helped us to be very helpful and friendly. They even printed out several maps for us regarding sites they recommended we see in the area.
Our room was clean, spacious and had a spectacular view of the La Jolla Cove.
The cost for such a setting and comfortable accommodation was of excellent value.
I will admit the hallways and garage areas could be spiffed up a bit, but that was a minor flaw given the other attributes of this property.
I would recommend this property highly...perhaps some rooms might not be as nice as ours; if possible, ask to see a room before confirming or politely ask for a refurbished one when making a reservation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank MiamiBeachFrank
Encinitas, CA
Reviewed 24 September 2011

We've booked an annual mom's retreat here two years in a row because the large 2 bedroom suites with full kitchens and living areas are perfect!
The place is "interesting" in that beyond the standard hotel rooms there are old La Jolla cottages on the terraces above the main buildings that have been integrated into part of the hotel. These terrace rooms feel more like "vacation bungalows" than hotel. The rooms are large and clean although quite dated and a little funky. The kitchens are super well stocked with a mishmash of items but everything you would need. The staff was helpful, especially with the booking of our large group. We will be coming back.

Room Tip: terrace rooms have many stairs to reach. Rooms all seem to have ocean facing view, the ones away fr...
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends