All reviews san diego quiet area microwave and fridge minute drive free parking free breakfast sdsu toiletries deposit
Reviewed December 27, 2015

The man at the desk was very concerned that we might smoke, although we assured him that we did not smoke! His wife (I assume) came out from the back and took over for him and she was quite nice and checked us in, even though we were there at noon. We didn't need to get into the room at that point - just have it assigned and pick up keys. When we got back, later that night, we discovered the bathroom light did not work. The vanity/sink was outside and was nice, but the toilet/shower room was dark. We didn't want to call and have them come down at that point, so we used our iPad screen sitting on the back of the toilet for a nightlight, and the iPhone flashlight sitting on the back of the toilet so we could have enough light to shower by. My mom stayed in the room with hubby and I, so we did need to have light behind the closed door! The room was nice and clean and the beds were very comfy, so for 1 night it was fine. We did let the desk know about the light in the morning, he mumbled something, and I'm not sure he understood, but we were checking out, so we grabbed some fruit and left.

Review collected in partnership with Super 8
Super8SanDiego, General Manager at Motel 6 La Mesa CA, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2016

Thank you very much for your feedback and kind words. I do sincerely apologize for the lightbulb not working in the bathroom and the way our non-smoking policy was communicated to you upon check in. I have alerted our maintenance, housekeeping, and front desk staff to address the issues. Once again, thank you for your feedback and it is my sincerest hope you will give us another chance as a guest at the Super 8 La Mesa!

Yours Truly,

Mitesh B.

Reviewed December 20, 2015

very clean, convenient and a great value.
breakfast could be upgraded; not enough protein choices

Reviewed December 9, 2015

We go to La Mesa once a month on business. My husband stayed here alone first and told me it was surprisingly good and certainly the rate was excellent. So we have both stayed here several times now. I am surprised to read other reviewers comments on being asked for cash deposits. That has not happened to us. The staff have been excellent and breakfast enjoyable. In fact, it is the best "complimentary" breakfast I have had in any motel chain.The rooms are large and the bathrooms small. Someone who weighs over 200 lbs would probably find it cramped. The rooms are very clean and we were not bothered by highway noise even though Days Inn is quite close to I-8. Denny's is right next door and some very good local restaurants are located in El Cajon, a few blocks away and many more in La Mesa.
California mandates fluorescent bulbs and this motel has managed to find some that are not glaring which is appreciated if you want to read or use the computer. Our rooms have had plenty of outlets without unplugging anything else. We will probably continue to stay here when we come to the San Diego area again on business.

Room tip: Rooms on the office side are farther from the interstate
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
1  Thank Maryloualso
Reviewed December 4, 2015

Date of stay: November 2015

Reviewed December 3, 2015

I stayed at this location because it was close to my home. I was having some plumbing issues at my home and I wouldn't have access to my bathrooms.
I was suprised when I was asked for a $100 cash deposit before I could check in. I had to leave property and go to a ATM. The $100 cash deposit was never mentioned in the reservation process. This was extremely inconvenient.

Date of stay: November 2015