“Tappi Sushi”

Tappi Sushi and Grill
Ranked #46 of 223 Restaurants in La Mesa
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed January 8, 2017

I wanted to avoid driving from Rancho San Diego to Kearny Mesa for great Ramen and Teriyaki Bowls. My daughter lives in Rancho San Diego and I was tired from driving around all-day and kids wanted rice bowls. So, I looked at Japanese restaurants closest to Rancho San Diego/El Cajon area and found a couple of places with good ratings. All I could hope was NOT to be disappointed.. Place was packed at first and waited only 10 minutes. I was very skeptical since staff was not Japanese (as in Kearny Mesa area) but I was NOT disappointed with the food. Teriyaki bowls are very large including the Sushi Rolls. And there is a large choice of Rolls to choose from. The Ramen was also very tasty and while at first appearance the ramen bowls look small, it's actually comparable, with a LOT less broth. I would go again and save me a lot of time driving not to mention the parking was not an issue as it is in Kearny Mesa. Great location, plenty of parking, easy in and out. Great place for lunch, dinner, or business. Place is very clean.

Reviewed June 24, 2016 via mobile

Stopped here for lunch and had one of the specials. I thought the spicy crap was pretty good and well prepared. Prices are good for a sushi place.

Reviewed December 23, 2015

We eat here often and the food is always great. The prices are the best around and we continually recommend Tappi to those seeking sushi. Can't give 5 stars only because the atmosphere and ambiance do not measure up to Banbu a couple of miles away. But Tappi is the best value in the area for good, fresh sushi.

Reviewed May 5, 2015 via mobile

I make this place a regular stop when in San Diego! Today, I drove in from Palm Springs for an appointment. I had the 3 item Bento Box with Tempura chicken, Shrimp Tempura and California roll! It was outstanding! Service was great and the environment upbeat! Even though I come here only once every three months, the staff remembers me; nice! Give this place a try if you're in the Avocado Blvd. area; you won't be disappointed.
Chef JP

Reviewed July 18, 2014

There were five of us for dinner. Two sushi aficionados and three who favor traditional Japanese. The sushi dishes were described as very good in terms of quantity and quality by our sushi lovers. The rest had bento boxes which were much larger than in other restaurants we tried. The boxes included miso soup, steamed rice, salad and a choice of three additional items. For the tempura you could select all vegetable, shrimp or a mix. The portions were quite large and delicious. The service was excellent and the ambiance quite nice. Being on vacation we were happy to find this little gem.