“Run down, old and horribly setup.”

Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel
Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
Dallas, Texas
“Run down, old and horribly setup.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

The only pro is the location and the views. The con's are many. Every time our upstairs neighbor took a shower we got all his water in our bath tub, we complained they brought someone immediately who couldn't figure out how to get the cap off the clean out, so they pretended for a couple of hours and never did anything. Showers was a fast trickle and your could either take it boiling hot or freezing cold, cause for some reason you could not get a mix that didn't melt skin.
The valet is the most ridiculous thing you have ever experienced. You have to take your car to the valet and then walk back to your hotel room. WTF? So if you are staying in any other rooms than the ones on top of the restaurant you have to walk back up the hill to your room, only for the valet to park your car in front of your room, but you have to walk past your car back to the valet to have him go get it for you. Completely a waste of time.
Rooms are old and worn out and decorated with Ikea products. We were there for a wedding so we had 6 rooms, they were all worn out. Front desk was very nice but never did anything about any concerns we had.
For the price I would highly recommend to stay any where else.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wick1979
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 6 April 2012
I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you were not more impressed with your stay. I wanted to take this opportunity to address a few of your concerns. The situation with your room is regrettable and our staff should have moved you to a different room. I will speak with them about your feedback so we can improve in the future. In regards to the valet, our parking space is utilized for our hotel guests as well as the restaurant patrons of both our restaurants, thus Valet parking is required due to the unique lay-out of our property. I apologize if our front desk staff did not explain its necessity better. I do hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you; I know we can show you a great time.

Bill Tremper

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (427)
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

We stayed at Pacific Edge for 4 nights over spring break. There were several issues with loud hotel patrons and screaming and yelling through the night. This was not conductive to a relaxing good night sleep. The walls are thin and you are able to hear conversations in the adjoining rooms whether you want to or not.
The hotel clerk, Korhan, was extremely helpful and very nice which was quickly noticed as the other clerks were the exact opposite.
Our room was along the PCH and was very loud with traffic noises, even through the night. If you stay here, make sure that you are not in the buildings along the PCH.

Room Tip: Rooms along the PCH are very loud, if you can, get a room closer to the ocean!
1 Thank KatieCollier
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with other guests; I will pass your feedback along to our security staff. I'm glad you found Korhan accommodating and helpful and I hope you'll afford us another opportunity to impress you. When you book, be sure to request a room in the Reef building if you weren't a fan of the PCH.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

The location of this hotel was amazing. We had a room in the Reef building and the view was great. The bed was very comfortable and so were the pillows. I loved the color and decoration of the room. There were some things I didn't like. Our valet was payed for since we stayed for 5 nights, but it would have been much more convienent if we could have just parked ourselves. The lighting fixtures were cheap plastic and one fell on us one night. The paint at the bottom of the bathroom door was warped. The shower rod was rusty and the door going to the balcony didn't fit the frame right and if you wanted to keep the door open, it made a lot of noise. Liked the hotel since we didn't spend much time in there but would possibly stay again if it was less expensive and the valet rules changed.

• Stayed March 2012
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Thank you for your kind review! I'm so glad you enjoyed staying with us in one of our Reef building rooms. We're lucky to have such a beautiful view. In regards to the valet, our parking space is utilized for our hotel guests as well as the restaurant patrons of both our restaurants, thus Valet parking is required due to the unique lay-out of our property. I apologize if our front desk staff did not explain its necessity better. We would love to welcome you back again soon.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

It is a great location actually laguna beach you are very close to the ocean there are multiple room options . There was a huge storm when we were there they helped us a lot changed our room so the service is also great! I would definitely suggest to stay there also you would have a 20% off in the. Next restaurant where you can have a ocean view breakfast. Actually they have several discounts in town. I definitely suggest.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Belamin
Thanks so much for your great review. I'm happy to hear that our staff was able to accommodate your needs during that storm. We would love to welcome you back again any time!

Omaha, Nebraska, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2012

My two daughters and I stayed one night to enjoy the ocean. We were in an ocean view room that was larger than most standard rooms with 2 queen beds. The decor was bright, cheery and "beachy". The room was very clean and the beds & linens were very comfortable. The in-room mini fridge was convenient. The balcony was a nice size and we watched the beautiful Pacific Ocean sunset from it. We slept with the balcony door open so we could hear the sound of the ocean all night. We ate at the fancier of the 2 restaurants on the property and the food was delicious. I was very impressed with the staff at the hotel. The front desk employees were happy to help with anything and were knowledgable about the area. We were within walking distance of everything in Laguna. I hope to visit this hotel again soon!

Room Tip: Worth it to get an ocean view room.
1 Thank Kris M
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Kris,

It's wonderful to read your review. I'm glad you and your daughters enjoyed your stay with us and found the atmosphere cheerful and beachy. I'm also thrilled to hear that you found the staff impressive; they will be so happy to hear from you. We would love to welcome you back again soon.

Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed here four nights in March. The property and rooms are a bit dated but you really can't beat the views in the ocean front rooms; you are so close to the beach that you can literally hear the ocean the entire time you are in your room, unless you are in a room next to the Deck, then all you can hear is loud, thumping music in the evening. We were checked into room 501 and were so happy when we walked in our room and saw the incredible view. We'd had a long travel day and were dealing with the time zone change so we were going to call it an early night. At about 8:00 pm, the music started and it was so loud that I could sing along with every song. I called the front desk and they said the music would be over at 11:00. I ended up going to the front desk to see about changing rooms; my mother just coudn't take it. There were no other rooms available but could move the following day. They indicated that this is a frequent problem with this particular room. I must say that the staff were very nice and although it was very inconvenient to pack everything up, they did move all our luggage the next day. What I found strange was that I had received two form email messages from the GM, Bill Tremper, prior to our visit letting us know we could make dinner reservations or reserve cabanas. I also received a message after we checked in wanting to know if the hotel was exceeding our expectations. I replied to the message and informed Mr Tremper of our issue with room 501 and our surprise that they book this room with no warning or price adjustment for the impending noise. I never received a reply from him, other than another form message after we had checked out saying that he hoped everything was great with our stay. We had to have engineering to the new room twice to fix the television and he finally just installed a new one. All the staff we encountered were so very helpful and friendly that clearly the hotel is doing something right with customer service training. Staff were really top notch. The rooms were spacious and clean, just a bit dated. We had a small kitchenette in our second room. I will have to say that the professional photos on this site don't match up with what we saw in our two rooms. Just don't go expecting the room in the pictures and you probably won't be disappointed. the balcony was spacious. The location to the rest of the town was great and we could walk everywhere. It was a bit inconvenient to have to use valet parking but we never had to wait more than just a couple of minutes but it does get expensive at $20 a day and tipping everytime you need your car. We would definitely stay here again despite the problem we encountered.

Room Tip: Get a beach front room but avoid a room near the Deck if you don't want to hear music every even...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
So lovely to read your review! We truly appreciate your comments. I do apologize about the problem with room 501; while I'm glad the staff was able to accommodate your needs it's an issue we'll have to address. I'm also sorry that I didn't respond to your message; I'll be sure to get in touch soon. I do hope you enjoyed your trip overall; we would love to welcome you back again soon.

Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

Stayed two nights - first one in an ocean view room. And what a view -
Beautiful sunset with dolphins and whale included - amazing and the best feature of the hotel.
Second night in a village room which was large but felt more like a motel then a hotel.
We had only a paper thin door between us and the neighbours with a yapping dog which they left behind in the morning...!

Otherwise nice retro style - perhaps a little worn out considering what they charge.
We stayed in another joie de vivre in San Fransisco which also had great style but was a bit more upkept.
The pool was closed when we were there and the smaller pool was in the shade by the road so not great. They do put out sun loungers for you on the beach which is nice.
Conveniently located right next to the beach House.

Room Tip: ocean view
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2012
Thank you for your lovely review. I'm glad you enjoyed our ocean view room--it's certainly a beautiful view and we're fortunate to see it every day. We truly appreciate your feedback about the rooms. We would love to welcome you back again any time!