“Our regular retreat”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Laguna Beach
North Hollywood, California, United States
“Our regular retreat”
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We regularly frequent JDV hotels. We are members and watch for deals from JDV and/or Hotels.com. The hotels are relatively pricey, but worth it. For reference, our other favorite chain is Kimpton. We discovered Pacific Edge after we stayed at the Huntington Beach sister property Shorebreak. We like Pacific Edge because it is pet friendly, Laguna is a vacation paradise and the beach front rooms are literally on the beach. You don't get many rooms where you could throw a stone into the water from your balcony. We love to bring our two terriers and enjoy the pet friendly beaches. For other dog owners,it is such a relief to take a vacation where you can bring your dogs and it is comfortable. They can sit on the beach with you, eat at awesome restaurants like Sundried Tomato Cafe and get groomed at Anything Canine. The hotel rooms are what you should expect for a room directly on the beach. Basic, colorful and clean. There is a small fridge and Kuerig coffee maker. We always request a micro. There are a million wonderful places to eat, but we love breakfast take out at our table in front of the sliding glass doors while we watch the ocean. We get awesome fresh juice and other delightful food from Orange Inn, which is just behind the hotel. The hotel offers a facility to work out off site. It is nothing fancy, but gets the job done. We usually use the beach for work outs. The on site spots to dine and drink are totally appropriate. Outdoors, on the beach, live music, good looking people and classic California menu. There is something for everyone in Laguna and you can't pass up the experience of staying in one of the beach front rooms at Pacific Edge. We go back as often as possible.

Room Tip: Must get room on the beach
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DOCJAE
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 21 May 2012
You're right — there is something for everyone in Laguna, and we try to mirror that in our hotel. It is lovely to hear from you, especially since you've come back to us time and time again! I'm glad that you and your dogs enjoyed your stay. Of course, let us know if there is anything we can do to make your time with us that much better! We'll see you next time you're in Laguna.

Bill Tremper, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
Calgary
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Pulling up to the hotel it doesn't look like much, decorating the front lobby again and exterior would help as it feels like a motel at first, don't expect a resort. But dont let that impression fool you, it only gets better from there if you have an oceanfront room awaiting you. It is located in a very convenient location, very easy to walk down the street to visit all the shops and restaurants of Laguna beach. Ralphs is a block away. The hotel is separated into several buildings and separated by an alley. We requested early check in and a quieter room, upper floor for the oceanfront king we booked. We were given room 705 in the Surf bldg which was beautiful, very large, top floor, kitchenette, 180 degree views, literally hanging over the shoreline. Stunning, great people watching, can't be beat. We viewed another room in the reef bldg to be sure and it was much smaller and did not have as huge a deck. I was very impressed by the staff and their willingness to accommodate. When we could not get real creamers for our coffee since room service wasn't open til 8am, the front desk sent us coffee in to go cups and creamers from the lobby!
The room service is also very good and fast, serviced by the Beach House restaurant kitchen I believe. Great burger, chicken fingers, fries, lobster bisque, lobster quesadillas, ahi sashimi, yellowfin, spinach salad, chocolate lava cake, all very very good, high quality items.
The bed is very comfortable with high end linens. Great blow dryer hanging in bathroom, love that they thought of that for us girls with long hair. They could use more shelves somewhere to place your toiletries and make up bags.
They set up the beach umbrellas and beds for guests. The Deck is a fabulous oceanfront lounge for cocktails. I wish the pool and hot tub were oceanfront but it is a lovely area, could use more flowers and foliage for my liking. The resorts are all too far to walk to town, it is nice to be able to explore the area without renting a car. The mall at Newport beach was a short 15 minute cab ride away and worth the visit.
Overall I would recommend this hotel if you book oceanfront and being very close to the water is what you want. If you're not happy with something, just ask, they will try to accommodate you. Excellent service makes this place worth the visit.

Room Tip: Room 705 in the Surf building was fabulous, top floor, very large with great deck and views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
We always love hearing such thoughtful, thorough comments from our guests. Thanks so much for taking the time to review us. It sounds like you had a fantastic stay! The oceanfront view truly can't be beat. I'm thrilled that you were so impressed with our staff. They really will go above and beyond to make sure that your time with us is fabulous. Thank you again for the review. We'll see you next time you're in Laguna.

Warm regards,
Escondido, California
Reviewed 12 May 2012

From the beginning there is no place to park for check in, but after finding a parking meter on the street and checked in we were directed to return to our car and drive around the block to valet parking. Maybe they don't understand the meaning of valet parking which turns out to be in the middle of the street with traffic passing through from both directions. No real system of organization here. After checking in our car comes the really confused part. With our luggage in hand we find our way into the smallest elevator I have ever been in. When we get to what we think is our floor, we realize we can't get to our room (#20). So we take the elevator back down to lobby level where we started. (Why didn't I unload luggage here in the first place?) So now I have to climb a flight of stairs with my luggage. But it is a good thing I made this hike because now I know where I have to go to get ice. Down the stairs, then down the elevator and back out to valet area for ice. Once into the closet sized room we are greeted by a dank smelling room with a broken noisy rusted A/C which is actually blocked by a heavy curtain that doesn't move. We had to use a chair to hold the curtain from blocking the A/C. A huge bulky analog TV actually takes up most of the room on the dresser. The counterless bathroom was the biggest disappointment. One 2 foot long 2 X 8 inch board serves as a shelf. A couple more bathroom shelves and a flat screen TV alone would improve the quality of this room along with a properly funtioning A/C. No information was provided on the room or amenities, but we were able to obtain some information from front desk. Hotel website says two heated pools - we found 0. The deck lounge was disorganized chaos at best, with watered down drinks, sub-par food, and lousy service. And the hits just keep on coming. When we left and complained, we were told we should try to book an Ocean Front room. After $500 for 2 nights in a closet I wonder what that would cost me. Laguna Beach is beautiful with lots of great places to stay, visit, and eat, but the Pacific Edge is not one of them. You can do so much better for this kind of money.

Room Tip: Absolutely avoid rooms 16-20. Ocean front rooms appear to be in newer condition from outside but I c...
1 Thank Rich-N-LorasView
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2012
I'm sorry to hear about this. It is disappointing that you were unhappy with your room. Did you ask to move? We're always happy to accommodate those requests whenever other rooms are available. It is also unfortunate that you were unable to find the pools. However, I can assure you that we do indeed have two pools on our property, as well as a jacuzzi. Remember that we are always happy to help, so don't hesitate to reach out if you need assistance locating anything in the surrounding area.

The experience you described does not meet our standards, and I apologize. I appreciate your honest feedback, and I will share your review with our hotel staff as well as The Deck's staff to see what we can do to improve. I know we can do better. I want to make this right for you. Please call me at (949) 494-8566 if you'd like to discuss this further.

Best,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I stayed here recently for a few days while visiting with a friend from abroad. The Service was friendly, helpfull and attentive.. sadly the rooms are a little worse for ware. I had resonable expectations from the Pacific Edge Resort, however even though we upgraded to a partial Oceanview room I was disappointed. The room was painted recently but it looks as if they just painted over old wallpaper and any old colors and cracks in the paint. the look they are trying to achieve is visible but instead of relaxed beachy and a little bit weathered it comes across as a patch job that was rushed through just to cover up what as there before.

Normally I wouldn't be bothered by a little age or even sometimes a little dirt (it's close the beach so it would be understandable) in this case though, I was really bothered. Leaning on the outside balcony to view the ocean my elbows were covered in white paint chips, heated by the sun they transferred to some of my clothing. there were small cracks through out the room and a subtly moldy smell. Now for the goods things!!

The lobby is inviting and so is the hotel staff, the extras including the Keurigs in room coffee makers were a nice touch, extra blankets in pastel OC beach colors were good too. I like the idea of this hotel and it's location but the few things that bothered me where the things that hotels usually rely on to make a good impression. I am sure this hotel is well run, but they should be taking the time in the off season to have a look at upgrading rooms that seems shabby in a not so Chic way!!!

Room Tip: TIP: get the upgrade, our room was supposed to be a standard rooms, and my complaints are about the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank arowetravels
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 15 May 2012
Thank you for your honest feedback. I'm sorry to hear that you were a bit disappointed with your room. We have an excellent cleaning staff to make sure that each room is in tip-top shape, and I will discuss your review with them in hopes of eliminating any lingering odors. It's also unfortunate to hear about your experience with the paint chips on the balcony. I will have our maintenance team take a look at this. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I'm glad that our staff made you feel welcome, and that you found your room so well appointed. We really appreciate reading thoughtful, thorough reviews like yours. It is constructive criticism like this that inspires us to do better. Thank you again. We hope you'll give us another chance to wow you next time you're in Laguna Beach.

Altadena, California
Reviewed 11 May 2012

We have been staying at this hotel, formerly Vacation Village for over 20 years. The new management has made a number of improvements, mostly cosmetic. The main improvement for me is that the beds are so much more comfortable and there is the convenience of room service. The best thing about this hotel is the closeness to the ocean. Oceanfront rooms practically overhang the waves. I would not stay here if I could not have an oceanfront room.

Room Tip: Oceanfront all the way. Spend the extra money!
1 Thank Janethebrit
It's great to hear from you. We truly appreciate the kind words, especially since you've been staying at this property for over 20 years. I'm glad to hear how impressed you are with our recent improvements. Our comfortable beds really do guarantee a restful night's sleep! Thank you for the wonderful review. We'll see you next time you're in town.

Best,
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This is a great place!! It is prim location. You can walk on the beach , or walk the shops. You can walk 5 minutes up to the beautiful center of Laguna. Everything is there or in 5 minute walking distance, movie theater, Art museum, shops, and restaurants. This resort is ON the beach!! However, this is only if you get the right rooms. If you are not in the building I mention then this place is not on the beach and I don't feel worth it. The Reef rooms are all on and facing the beach. We really liked being on the first floor. The first floor is is a balcony room and We loved sitting them and watching the waves crash. Rooms 134,128,122,116. Are the least desirable. Very close to next tower. Rooms 139,133. 127, 121 are on the end with a great view. All have wonderful balconies with two chairs. The reef Tower is also on the beach. However Rooms 115,112,109,106,103 best views. But the first floor in this tower does not have direct access to the beach and you have to walk around. The second floor front has best access. NO NOT stay in building Seas,Bahia, or back of Surf wing unless great deal and need kitchen. Seas and Bahia are across a small street. The pool is just basic. The beach is amazing. If you call ahead of time they have Complimentary beach towels, lounge chair and umbrellas. Nice. they set them up for you. We ate at the Beach house. Perfect for romance. The deck is yummy. I would encourage you to order from the Deck for breakfast and stay in your room. Same price. This hotel also offers different pillow choices and the beds were very comfortable. I'm kinda of a bed snob. Small fridge and great coffee machine with coffee. Once out of Hotel to the right is Ralphs. This is a great place if you want to stay in the heart of Laguna and relax on the beach.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 118. Like the view and direct access to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kimberly3900
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 19 October 2012
Kimberly,

You're right! We are in the perfect location to access the beautiful city of Laguna and, of course, the beach. I appreciate that you took the time to leave the tips regarding the rooms. We like to provide several different layouts and views so that there is something to accommodate each of our guests. I'm delighted to hear that you were so impressed with both the Beach House and The Deck. They're excellent places to enjoy the freshest seafood with a gorgeous view. Thank you for the wonderful review. We hope to see you next time you're in Laguna Beach!

Reviewed 6 May 2012 via mobile

Our trip to Laguna Beach was a memorable one. We absolutely loved staying at The Pacific Edge Hotel! The staff was over the top friendly and our room was to die for! I highly suggest staying in an ocean front room! We stayed in a 1st level ocean front room. We slept with the balcony door open listening to the waves that would come up right below our balcony! Unbelievable and unforgettable stay!! We will be back!! A+++++

• Stayed April 2012
Bill T, General Manager at Pacific Edge on Laguna Beach, a Joie de Vivre Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
I'm thrilled that you had such a fabulous vacation! It's great to hear that everyone made you feel so welcome. I'm glad you were able to sleep with your balcony doors open. Hearing waves crash on the shore is the perfect way to be lulled into a restful sleep! Thank you for the kind words. We're looking forward to seeing you next time you're in Laguna.