“thoughtful staff follow-up even BEFORE my stay”
Review of Laguna Hills Lodge

Laguna Hills Lodge
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Laguna Hills
Reviewed 1 February 2012

Given all the great reviews here & elsewhere, I made an online reservation for later this month via the Laguma Hills Lodge website. I took the "Value Two Queen" room (I'm on a budget) and added in the requests section, "Just a quiet, clean room with a firm bed and a helpful staff. Thank you." The day after receiving my confirmation, I got a call from Roland (reservations staff). Given my comments, he clarified that the "Value Two Queen" room is located on the side of the building where there can be some street noise during rush hours. (We discussed it and, honestly, it doesn't sound like much noise at all. It's basically a residential area with little traffic after 11 pm or before 8 am. As a night owl, that doesn't affect me.) With no other rooms at the same discounted rate, I chose to keep the reservation.

I was VERY impressed that Roland took my room request to heart, to the point of personally calling to alert me of the situation. In honestly admitting to some noise, he took the risk that I would simply cancel in order to ensure that I'd be satisfied. That to me is someone who takes customer satisfaction seriously. What a refreshing change! I look forward to my future stay. (And aim to write a follow-up review.)

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Elaine Y
There are newer reviews for Laguna Hills Lodge

Reviewed 28 January 2012

Business trip and stayed here for 5 days. Rooms open to the parking lot and there are no enclosed hallways which might be a security complaint especially amoung single women travelers. I felt completely safe and liked parking right outside my door! Service at the front desk was average. Should be a little more friendly and smile but it wasn't bad service. Maids did a great job every day and got it done early. Rooms are very nice and very clean. Nice shower and towels. Sink area lights were too bright but I just unscrewed two of the four bulbs until I left. Refrigerator has a good size freezer which is a very nice amenity for longer stays. Pool area was small but nice. Not a very quiet area but okay, lot of traffic noise and there is a Fire Station across the street from Bldg C were I stayed. Very nice enhanced Continental breakfast but wasn't open until 7am every day. Like the overall room the best, liked the hard bed the least.

Room Tip: Ask for Bldg A "Courtyard" side
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Wonderful stay at the hotel, room size, comfortable bed, microwave, coffee pot in room, modern bathroom plus more! The room was ultra clean and pleasant, and the breakfast was more than I expected. I would definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: ask for a second floor
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Barbara111_12
Reviewed 10 January 2012

We just returned from a four night stay at the Laguna Hills. It is a well maintained property with lovely gardens and a nice pool area. It has a very comfortable feel to it The breakfast is free and more than adequate. We faced the courtyard which seems to be the quietest area but other rooms are very close to the highway. We at times could hear the traffic, etc.
The front desk staff are extremely nice and helpful.
Not a negative but get confirmation in writing - we were promised a free upgrade to garden and then were charged more. May have been a misunderstanding but get email conf.

Room Tip: middle of courtyard first floor very convenient
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 January 2012

My husband & I stayed here 2 nights over New Year's eve. We had several incidents during our stay. Within the first couple of hours after our arrival the police had pulled a number of people into the parking lot from off the street. They then proceeded to question them at length, handcuff and cart them off. This happened more than once. When my husband went to the front desk to ask why they allowed the police to use their parking lot they shrugged and basically had a :what do you want us to do about it" attitude. My husband went to the police and asked them to please stop using the hotel parking lot, and they did.
The gentleman at the front desk was very argumentative and combative when another member of our family who had booked a room there also was locked out of her room. Long story about how expensive their keys were and that they only gave out 2 keys.
The all time worst was on New Year's eve. We returned to the hotel shortly before midnight to discover someone had left a barking dog (they have a no pets allowed rule) in the adjoining room. When we called the front desk we were told that there was only one person at the desk and that we would have to determine exactly which room the dog was in (we walked the grounds) and let them know. We went to the front desk to let them know (there were 2 individuals at the desk, not 1 as they had stated earlier) and once again they had the same "what do you want us to do about it?" attitude. Upon my husband's insistence one of them actually went to the door of the room where the dog was, knocked and when there was no answer said there was nothing they could do about it. They did offer to move us but we had family in the adjoining rooms, tons of stuff (our son's wedding was that evening) and just resigned ourselves to having to listen to a barking dog all night. Laguna Hills Lodge fined the individual with a dog but never apologized or offered us a discount for our troubles. Bad customer service!
An aside- the mattresses were so hard it felt like sleeping on the box springs!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Brenda C
Laguna_Hills_Lodge, General Manager at Laguna Hills Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2012

Thank you for submitting a review about your recent stay at the Laguna Hills Lodge. We do apologize for the difficulties you experienced.

Regarding the police presence, a non-guest was in the process of being cited and pulled into our parking lot. This said, the police should not have disturbed you. We are sorry that you were subjected to this.

Regarding the dog owner who violated our “No Pets Policy” in the worst way, he has been given the significant fine which we levy when this policy is violated and a prime spot on our “Unwelcome Guest” list. I was glad to hear our staff offered to relocate you to a quiet room but fully understand that you did not want to move because you were already settled in. We sincerely apologize for this problem.

Jean or Octavia will contact you to provide a follow up resolution to your concerns. We strive for a 100% satisfaction and always work to ensure our guests have a very positive experience at the Laguna Hills Lodge.

Bill Crawford, General Manager
Laguna Hills Lodge

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I read all the reviews on the sites about this place being the "Hidden Gem" and I have to agree! We were down with 2 children and the service was amazing! The breakfast was good with pastries,cereals, fruit, etc and the swimming pool and hottub were very clean. There is a small exercise room with new equipment as well. The rooms were cleaned everyday before we got back with fresh towels. Our toilet got stuck one day ( the flusher) so I called the front desk and the repair guy showed up in about 2 seconds. I have to say that I was completely impressed at the service from everyone at the hotel. We will be back for sure! The location is just off the main highway and close to everything. There is a mall across the street as well as grocery store and plenty of restaurants just down the road. I want to thank Roland and his staff for making our stay one of the best we have ever had! Thanks so much!

Room Tip: Get a room on the main level. I would suggest Building B. It worked out great for us since the break...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank ManagerAAA
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We were only here for 1 night but will be back for sure next time we visit the area. It was wonderful having so much with in walking distance. the Laguna Hills Mall is directly across the street there are several choices for food in the mall area. The room was very clean and well kept. Generally a quiet place at least during our visit. The pool was heated even though it's January. The hot tub was wonderful as well. There is a small fitness room looked fine I didn't use it. The people at the front desk were very friendly and informative. We enjoyed the fresh cookies at check-in and the bowl of candies on the counter was a nice treat. Breakfast was good a large selection of cereals, breads, bagels. Hard boiled eggs and yogurt for proteins. The coffee was wonderful! All in all a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from roadway.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1.9 km away
Comfort Inn at Irvine Spectrum
10.6 km away
Pacific Edge Hotel on Laguna Beach

Been to Laguna Hills Lodge? Share your experiences!